Sax on the Web Forum banner

Thumb Hook Size

700 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pc1234 
#1 ·
Need tech advice. Does anybody know if "The Martin Alto" alto thumb hook will fit properly on tenor? My "The Martin Tenor" is missing the original adjustable thumb hook and bracket. I've looked at the after market thumb hooks, but would prefer for this horn to have factory original parts (if possible).

I sent a PM to THE MARTIN ALTO on this forum because he has an original Martin alto thumb hook I could purchase. However, neither of us are sure whether it will fit correctly on a tenor.

Can somebody please let us know for sure? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
It should fit, but if the base is wide you may have to file the underside (to flatten out the curve more) for a better fit against the wider bore of the tenor. What you don't want are large gaps filled with loads of soft solder which just looks crap, but a good close fit between both parts and the right amount of solder used to attach it with.

#3 ·
My two cents - you are better off with an after-market thumbhook. Martin thumbhooks (like alot of vintage hooks) are small (particularly noticeable on tenor, since it is a heavier horn), and you may have to make some funky adjustments in your playing position in order to take the stress off of your right wrist. I'd think you'd be exacerbating the issue by putting an alto thumbhook on a tenor.

I bought an after-market thumbhook from MartinMods and it was extremely worthwhile - makes the horn sit in the hands comfortably so you can just play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.