Antigua Winds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yamaha Saxophone SERIAL Number Database

Hi SOTW members,

Some of you will have seen my Yamaha MODEL Number List. As part of this collection of data, I have created an online database for collecting the SERIAL numbers of Yamaha Saxophones.

Yamaha USA will provide a manufacture date for recent model saxophones if you contact them via

bandandorchestra@yamaha.com

but they have very little information regarding older instruments as they state themselves on their Yamaha "Bell and Barrel" website.

"...Players have been known to say that under no circumstances would they EVER part with their 62 soprano. (That is, until we can come up with something that’s as good, if not better than their YSS-62)

As close as we can guess there were around 3,000 of these sold in the United States (our records were a bit sketchy in the very early 80?s) both in the lacquer and silver finishes. Unfortunately there are NO serial number records available that can help clarify individual production dates beyond some rough guesses.

We do know that there was a change in tonehole placement at some point in the production..."
    I'm hoping to collect a large enough sample of instruments to provide a reasonable estimation to the date of manufacture of most of the Yamaha Saxophones. I also hope that this collected data will reveal some inconsistencies in the way Yamaha mark and identify particular models.

The Yamaha SAXOPHONE Serial Number Database can be found here:

Saxophone
    Yamaha SAXOPHONE Serial Number Database
    Yamaha SAXOPHONE Serial Number Database - Submission Form

Cheers
    YamahaCollector

Forum Contributor 2015 DetroitDave's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yamaha Saxophone SERIAL Number Database

I wrote to Yamaha for info about my YAS-23 and they answered right away:
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your message. Your YAS-23 with the serial number 104488 A was manufactured in 1990. For more information about Yamaha saxophones, please visit www.yamaha.com/saxophones.

Thanks again,
    Elaine Cutting
    Yamaha
    _____

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's gonna be a bit difficult because Yamaha had/has more than one factory making saxophones, and they each have their own system of serial numbers. (but it's still a good idea).
    Life is too short for long tones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I submitted info on my YSS-62 for your database. In case anyone here is interested: Purchased new in 1982 from (I believe.....hey, it's been a LONG time!) Wichita Band. It's the earliest serial # YSS-62 that I've ever seen (2905). Was a purple logo horn with engraving, but I've had the lacquer stripped, so the logo is no longer. It's a great playing soprano and I should play it more, but I think we all know how that goes!

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI, submitted for my '91 YAS-62

Good luck with the project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I submitted my yts-61 a few weeks ago but don't see it on the list yet.
    YTS-61 / Metal Link 7*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob, I had inquired about my YTS-61 a while back and was given the reply that they don't have a serial #/date list from that far back and that production on the YTS-61 ended in 1979.
    “What I reach for first when I play is sound. Technique maybe, but there is technique in sound.” –Dewey Redman
    “Hipness isn’t a state of mind; it’s a fact of life.” - Julian ‘Cannonball’ Adderley
    www.stormyband.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob, look at the bottom of the list, the new entries are not being sorted any longer. Based on your location, I'm guessing your horn is #8915.