Antigua Winds

Thread: RSR Saxophones

Cool RSR Saxophones

Anybody have any experiences with RSR saxophones ... I'm interested in the Unlacquered MKVI "RSR Vintage" version ...
    (I already know the below info)

RSR Winds represents the new generation of saxophones coming out of Asia. Our instruments are manufactured and assembled in The People's Republic of China.

All of our instruments are play tested and regulated by a professional in China and again here in Los Angeles. We fine tune each instrument and set everything right. Our goal is to ensure that every horn plays great.

RSR Winds was founded by Richard "Sax" Ross. He's a Sax Player, so he knows intimately what a player needs.

We all wish to sound our best and struggling with extreme or inappropriate gear doesn't help. Because of his experience as a pro player and background in fabrication as well as his knowledge of the musical instrument trade, RSR is well poised to create products for the modern player.
    Regards Dean'o

Default Re: RSR Saxophones

I took delivery of an RSR Vintage tenor on Thursday (1/24) . It didn't speak well in the extreme low end so I sent it to my tech to make some adjustments. I put a leak light in it and noticed a leaky Eb key but didn't see any others, but I'm no repairman by any means. I really liked how it played (besides the non-responsive lower extremities), seemed well in tune and very warm sounding. Altissimo was a bit more easily accessible than my Yani which was a nice bonus. Fingering low Bb all the usual overtones were present and accounted for (without the primary Bb actually speaking because of the already mentioned problems however). I bought it as a back-up/possible successor to a Yanigasawa 880 tenor that I have owned for about 25 years. I didn't like how open the palm keys were on the RSR when pushed, they really flared open and were reminiscent of a student line horn to me in that respect. That should not be a difficult fix, however.

I am waiting for the shop to report back to me about their impressions of the horn. Right now I have a little under 2 weeks to keep it or send it back according to Richard's return policy but I would like to keep it as it sounded and felt really solid to me. But if the thing is not built well or is gonna fall apart 5 or 10 years down the line I would be inclined to ask for a refund and return it. It does look very cool which is not high on my list of priorities, but I do love the unlacquered thing. None of my other horns have that look (yet...)

Anyways, I will report back at the end of the week after I get a chance to talk to my tech. I can post some pics, but they would look pretty much like the ones on RSR's site. Unless there's a particular angle or shot you want to see that isn't on there, in that case I'd be happy to oblige.

Dan

Forum Contributor 2012

I've also been very interested in the RSR Vintage line... so it would be nice to hear back once you get it from your tech.

Forum Contributor 2012

There are a lot of pics of the RSR vintage tenor here:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmoffett View Post
    I didn't like how open the palm keys were on the RSR when pushed, they really flared open and were reminiscent of a student line horn to me in that respect. That should not be a difficult fix, however.

Dan
    There are lots of things that companies use to separate their "pro" lines from their lines geared toward the student/ beginner market...better key work/ mechanisms, different alloys and finishes, optional necks, upgraded pads, et cetera. I've never heard anyone make the correlation between how high the palm keys open up and being a "pro" horn. Interesting...I don't buy it, but interesting. Your tech can give you a little insight into the quality (though SOME seem to be a little biased), but how will you know if a horn is going to crap out in 5-10 years within a short (2 week?) trial period?

Quote Originally Posted by swperry1 View Post
    I've never heard anyone make the correlation between how high the palm keys open up and being a "pro" horn. Interesting...I don't buy it, but interesting.
    I'm lost there, you don't buy it meaning I am making it up? I'm just trying to be helpful and offer my impressions, you really don't have to buy anything I am saying for all I care. I'm sure some have more experience with student line horns than I, but I am just basing the palm key observation on the student tenors I have tried (most recently an old Conn tenor I own from back in the day, a Vito that a student of mine is playing on, and a friend's YTS-23 that I was playing last month to help give him a second opinion of the horn.) All three have very sloppy feeling, high action on the palm keys. The pro tenors I have tried and own do not. Of course there are plenty of other differences in pro vs student lines as you stated, I don't think that is any big revelation.

And I agree there is no definitive way to tell what the horn will play like in 5 years, or any substantial amount of time for that matter, but I think general build quality can reveal a lot about how well the horn may hold up.

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar

Well, The ads say it is in top playing condition when it leaves RSR's hands, so one can only assume that they keys heights are adjusted to the appropriate levels for the best sound. How much (or how little) the palm keys, or any keys for that matter, open or close has no bearing on the level of player it is aimed for. That is what I meant.

Thanks guy's .... Very interesting ... It looks very much like the "Mad Meg" Unlacquered horns that Cannonball have made in the far east ..
    Only the RSR seems to have that acid etched raw finish that I love .... Keep the info coming it is very interesting & I would love to see what the Tech thinks of the RSR set-up ....
    Regards Dean'o

Got the RSR back today, definitely keeping it. The thing plays. As far as the newer brands of horns coming from the East I don't think China has quite caught up to Taiwan yet, but for $830 shipped (think it just went up from that however) this is alot of horn. I own 2 Taiwan horns (Mauriat Sys 76 sop and Barone Vintage alto) and the package you get with those seems more refined (better pads, corks, case a bit higher quality, included neck strap not a piece of crap, more options with models and finishes, better mouthpiece with the Barone, and things like key height and overall setup seem more regulated). Those horns are 2 to 3 times the price of the RSR of course, but for $90 of work, or "bench time" as Richard says I am very happy with this horn. It is built really solid, feels sturdy but not overweight, and the action is really free and easy, not stiff and mechanical feeling at all which is something I was worried about. Altissimo on the RSR for me is much improved. I've been doing all my tenor paying on a Yani 880 for quite a few years, which is supposedly that last of the warm-sounding Yanigisawas. Don't know about that, but I've played some newer model Yanis that I absolutely hated next to my horn. Going back and forth between the two with the same set up this horn has a warmth and depth of tone greater than the Yani and just has a more vocal quality to it. Not sure how else to describe it other than it just sings. And it looks cool which is a nice bonus. I welcome your questions, comments, or light-hearted insults...

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by dmoffett View Post
    Got the RSR back today, definitely keeping it. The thing plays. As far as the newer brands of horns coming from the East I don't think China has quite caught up to Taiwan yet, but for $830 shipped (think it just went up from that however) this is alot of horn. I own 2 Taiwan horns (Mauriat Sys 76 sop and Barone Vintage alto) and the package you get with those seems more refined (better pads, corks, case a bit higher quality, included neck strap not a piece of crap, more options with models and finishes, better mouthpiece with the Barone, and things like key height and overall setup seem more regulated). Those horns are 2 to 3 times the price of the RSR of course, but for $90 of work, or "bench time" as Richard says I am very happy with this horn. It is built really solid, feels sturdy but not overweight, and the action is really free and easy, not stiff and mechanical feeling at all which is something I was worried about. Altissimo on the RSR for me is much improved. I've been doing all my tenor paying on a Yani 880 for quite a few years, which is supposedly that last of the warm-sounding Yanigisawas. Don't know about that, but I've played some newer model Yanis that I absolutely hated next to my horn. Going back and forth between the two with the same set up this horn has a warmth and depth of tone greater than the Yani and just has a more vocal quality to it. Not sure how else to describe it other than it just sings. And it looks cool which is a nice bonus. I welcome your questions, comments, or light-hearted insults...
    Hi Dan,
    I'm seriously considering getting the RSR Vintage tenor.
    I was curious to know if you've gigged with the RSR as yet? Personally I find that I like a lot of horns at home but when I gig with them I find some cause of discomfort. It's important to have a horn that you can play a 2 to 3 hour set on without getting really sick of some aspect of it.
    Any notes that are a little prone to intonation/response issues? Any two neighbouring notes that differ in quality considerably?

Someone played on RSR cantante soprano? Very interested in the details of this horn.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

I've tested some RSR altos and tenors, they are great horns, even if they were to cost more than they do.

Today I got a soprano RSR Cantante. I am very glad that the expectations have not deceived me. Nice, very responsive, low-resistance, no problems with intonation. Ergonomics of Series III seems comfortable to my hands. Horn is built exclusively. It was prepared for the game from the box. I did a little fine-tuning for your personal preference. Cantante is professional horn with the price of the student saxophone. Bravo, Richard Ross!

Forum Contributor 2012

His latest videos of the pro setup vintage are even more impressive, tonewise.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lajBlRKpbzA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19J_meVsYdI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icBytl3qAWw

I can't make up my mind between getting a used EX90 (II or III) or a new RSR vintage... both seem to be a great value.

Nice hat in video 2.

#3 could spur an interesting discussion. I like the attention to mechanics but not sure if the pads and resonator thing holds water....or air, for that matter
    Robert Steinberg
    Piano, Saxophone, MidiOpera.com

The pictures look good. "Ribbed" construction is very sturdy indeed -the posts aren't just soldered directly on to the body but onto straps of brass on the body. Is it just the extreme close-up nature of some of the photos or does the soldering look a bit sloppy? Only a double point bell-brace though. Nice modern adjusting screws on the G# keys. If you wanted the opening travel of the left hand palm keys to be reduced, a bit of cork would do the trick.

[QUOTE=dmoffett;2000765]Got the RSR back today, definitely keeping it. The thing plays. As far as the newer brands of horns coming from the East I don't think China has quite caught up to Taiwan yet, but for $830 shipped (think it just went up from that however) this is alot of horn. I own 2 Taiwan horns (Mauriat Sys 76 sop and Barone Vintage alto) and the package you get with those seems more refined (better pads, corks, case a bit higher quality, included neck strap not a piece of crap, more options with models and finishes, better mouthpiece with the Barone, and things like key height and overall setup seem more regulated). Those horns are 2 to 3 times the price of the RSR of course, but for $90 of work, or "bench time" as Richard says I am very happy with this horn. It is built really solid, feels sturdy but not overweight, and the action is really free and easy, not stiff and mechanical feeling at all which is something I was worried about. Altissimo on the RSR for me is much improved. I've been doing all my tenor paying on a Yani 880 for quite a few years, which is supposedly that last of the warm-sounding Yanigisawas. Don't know about that, but I've played some newer model Yanis that I absolutely hated next to my horn. Going back and forth between the two with the same set up this horn has a warmth and depth of tone greater than the Yani and just has a more vocal quality to it. Not sure how else to describe it other than it just sings. And it looks cool which is a nice bonus. I welcome your questions, comments, or light-hearted insults...[/QUOTE
    Great news I have also purchased one RSR Tenor Today cant wait to gig with it. Ye as for the previous idiot, on about negging you out. I say he blows his mouth off where it will be smacked! This is a beautiful site for us lucky people loving the sensual act of playing sax.

Please Be Careful with this Guy. I bought a Sax from him and it shipped from China to me. I got it, immediately opened the Case and the Bell was out of alignment over the keys. I messaged Him Immediately to tell Him. I did not take Pics because He sounded like everything was cool to send it back. Keep in Mind shipping to me was $165. I got a Great Deal on the Sax, had it not been damaged from China to me. I sent it back to Him and he said the Bell keys were aligned.......Seriously???? The Funny thing,,,there was a Dent in the side of the Bell that was not there when i sent it back. He then accused me of hitting on a Mic Stand, or a blunt object. Unbelievable!!! After me spending $200 in shipping he did not want to give all off my money back, and told me he did not care about who would win a Paypal Dispute. I hope sometime I run into this Guy on the Street!!! Anyway,,,,please watch out,,,,after Millions of Horn shipped to people from Him,,,I am the Lucky one to get a Damaged one. Yessssssss!! Stick with Great people on here for your Purchases!! Ebay is NOT the place to get a Sax anymore....especially from Richard Sax Ross!!!