Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Forum Contributor 2014 OffKeyAudio's Avatar

Default What is the difference between Florida, NY and USA metal Otto Link mouthpieces?

Can anyone educate me on the difference between these different metal Otto Link mouthpieces?

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike F's Avatar

Default Re: What is the difference between Florida, NY and USA metal Otto Link mouthpieces?

Not much. They all play with that hollow Link sound, with various degrees of 'tubby' and 'stuffy'.

Or, look here!

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...on-quot-Thread

Default Re: What is the difference between Florida, NY and USA metal Otto Link mouthpieces?

Thanks Mike! I have always felt that Otto Links were 'tubby' and 'stuffy'. Hah! I love my RPC 120B. I just wanted to know what all the hubbub is about the Otto Links.
    Peace,
    Charles

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    Not much. They all play with that hollow Link sound, with various degrees of 'tubby' and 'stuffy'.

Or, look here!

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...on-quot-Thread
    This isn't always the case. I've played plenty of links that were not hollow sounding or tubby and stuffy. As an example Eric Alexander's sound is not hollow,tubby or stuffy. I have a Florida link here now that is very focused and round sounding. As well as a double ring that is loud and full. Neither play stuffy or hollow. The NY models have a bigger chamber in them and can have a great big fat sound to them. The key is to try them first and find one that works for you.

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by OffKeyAudio View Post
    Thanks Mike! I have always felt that Otto Links were 'tubby' and 'stuffy'. Hah! I love my RPC 120B. I just wanted to know what all the hubbub is about the Otto Links.
    Peace,
    Charles
    This is pretty common when you come from a high baffle piece. It takes some time to dial in your air and voicing on a link when you are coming from a high baffle. For example, I was playing a high baffle piece years ago for a few months and then bought a florida link from 10Mfan. He thought it was the best florida link he had ever played. When I first got it I played it and was disappointed. It sound hollow,weak and a bit tubby to me. I played it for a couple of hours and had to try a bunch of different reeds. I found one that was better, The hollowness was gone and it didn't sound tubby. The next day was even better. The third day I was ecstatic. It had a big full rich sound that was amazing and pretty powerful. What happened in those 3 days? I believe I changed the way I was blowing and supporting the air. I just say this because sometimes you have to build a relationship with a piece and your air has to be right to get the most out of that piece.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike F's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    This is pretty common when you come from a high baffle piece. It takes some time to dial in your air and voicing on a link when you are coming from a high baffle. For example, I was playing a high baffle piece years ago for a few months and then bought a florida link from 10Mfan. He thought it was the best florida link he had ever played. When I first got it I played it and was disappointed. It sound hollow,weak and a bit tubby to me. I played it for a couple of hours and had to try a bunch of different reeds. I found one that was better, The hollowness was gone and it didn't sound tubby. The next day was even better. The third day I was ecstatic. It had a big full rich sound that was amazing and pretty powerful. What happened in those 3 days? I believe I changed the way I was blowing and supporting the air. I just say this because sometimes you have to build a relationship with a piece and your air has to be right to get the most out of that piece.
    Steve, I was saying it a bit tongue in cheek of course, although generally it has been my experience. However, in the last couple of years I've been playing a more Link like piece (well, a few actually) and I agree with the above.

Hi All : I would like to make the question again, with a minor variation : "what is the difference in TONE between Otto links..:
    Florida,
    NY,
    USA
    and the normal Super Tone Master in current production ( supposing it is one with good quality and not defective)...
    Please, I appreciate your
    Primary Interest : Tenor Saxophone with Oves ( Chinese) tenor Sax (PhilTone Mosaic 6*/Otto Link STM NY 8 ( Ref. by Jimmy Jensen),
    Yamaha YAS-23 Alto Sax ( Meyer 5M), Gulf Instruments Mark Soprano Saxophone ( Dukoff 7*),Geimenhardt flute

I'd been playing high baffled pieces on tenor , Dukoff D8, Ponzol M120 and the last one a Ponzol SS M2110. Could not get the sound I wanted for a big band so I tried a Otto Link STM 7.
    Took 2 days and now I really like it. More control playing soft particulary in the bottom end with a more lush, fat sound. I also dropped a reed strength, having a little difficulty hitting the high F,F# but working on that. The STM gives me a wider variety of sound and I used to think Otto Links were not for me. The last time I tried one would have been 7 years ago. Maybe I got lucky, I bought a modern one but with evidence of lots of play on it. I have yet to compare it to a new one but I think it may have had work as it looks like it has been scooped out under the rails.

The USA mpcs seem to have a little more punch, but less color than the no USA florida. The no USAs can be projecting, and some bright, but they seem to have more of a core sound to them, and much more color.
    Some of the new ones can play OK, but they don't have much character to the sound. imho

As with all Links, you get what you put into them. If you have been raised on high baffle mpcs, its going to take some time & practice to be able to really get something out of one. No instant gratification with them, but if you put in the time, you might be surprised as to what you can accomplish, tone-wise

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    That was exactly my experience with my first vintage link .

Quote Originally Posted by OffKeyAudio View Post
    Can anyone educate me on the difference between these different metal Otto Link mouthpieces?
    Read this !!! Very thorough.

Forum Contributor 2013

I own two no-USA Flordia STM pieces. One for tenor and one for alto.

In general I find them to have a very full "professional" tone. And they are extremely flexible. I can play very darkly or push them into playing quite bright.

Besides the common quality issues with modern STMs, I don't find this flexibility in the modern versions. Plus, the Florida STM ligatures actually works. The newer ones are not well designed.

PS: The alto piece comes very close to giving the alto more tenor-like qualities. And I love that.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

Great stuff. Thanks to all who contributed.

This site is fantastic. What a great resource. I am just a weekend warrior hack wannabe sax player that loves the tone of a fine vintage saxophone.
    I really appreciate you pros taking time out to help an old man out! Thanks again!!

SOTW Columnist

Unfortunately no one has really answered your question regarding the difference between those 3 models. Maybe no one has played all three enough to answer (I sure haven't). Like you, I'm coming using a great RPC 120B (for several years) which has a huge sound. Doubt anything will really replace that mpc, but I recently got a 7* NY Link in a trade and at first it did play kind of tubby, but after playing it for a couple of days and trying different reeds, its potential started to come out and I really liked the tone I could get. But I really had to work at it and the mpc is very reed picky. I decided to send it out for a reface, which may or may not be a huge improvement. I just want to be sure it's in the best "playing condition." When I get it back I'll see. I don't think it will replace my RPC (especially on a gig with electric guitars, etc), but who knows? It will still be fun to play.

This NY gets a very rich, fat tone, altissimo popped out nicely without sounding shrill, and the tone sounds great from top to bottom. My guess, based on very limited experience trying out some STM Links, is the NY has a bit fatter sound than a STM. Don't know how it compares to a Florida. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has played all of these and can share what they know about them.

I've seen rumours of a 'New Florida' coming out, so somebody is paying attention to player's tastes. Despite the best efforts of some people talking the newer production Links down, which I expect is more for dealers and flippers than players, Link still makes good stuff.
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...er-Tone-Master

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

Part of the problem is which Florida? which NY? Which USA? There are at least 3 Floridas. there is the Modern and vintage NY. A bunch stamped USA. Then there are the new vintage ones...

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Unfortunately no one has really answered your question regarding the difference between those 3 models.
    I can try to answer that, of course based on my own (limited) experience. I own and have played one or more examples of all metal Otto Link metal tenor mouthpiece models produced since the 30's. Also recorded and posted here on SOTW a lot of sound comparison clips (amateur level playing) for most of my pieces.

Florida Link's where produced between roughly 1950 and 1974 and are classified in different models (FL Double Ring's around 1950, FL no USA's between 1950-1960 and FL USA's between 1960-1974). Within one model you can already distinguish different blanks with different chamber and baffle characteristics, which makes it very difficult to give general playing characteristics per model (individual mouthpieces of the same model can already differ quite a bit), but I will try to do that anyhow!

In general Florida no USA's (1950-1960) have a medium dark spread sound, a big chamber, a considerable baffle and good projection. Very flexible tone, can be made brighter easily by playing with a higher airspeed. These are the Link models I prefer the best.

Florida USA's (1960-1974) have a medium dark sound, sligtly brigther (due to a longer baffle) and a bit more focussed compared to FL no USA's.

Current STM's (1980-now) have (compared to FL Link's) less baffle and a deeper chamber, lower floor. Soundwise they are darker with less projecten. I miss a certain quality in the sound compared to FL's, especially in the upper register.

Current NY STM's (1990-now) have (compared to current STM's) a bigger chamber and a bit more baffle. Soundwise they come closer to FL Link's in my experience.

Here are some links to sound comparison clips (posted before here on SOTW):
    - Compare FL no USA 10* / current NY STM 11: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...=1#post1939059 (#39)
    - Compare FL no USA 9 / current STM 7*: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...=1#post1866689 (#970)
    - Compare FL no USA 10* / FL USA 11*: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...=1#post1887469 (#21)

In general comparing mouthpieces is more for the player than the listener (the player feels much more difference). Also is listening to compressed mp3 files not the best way, in real life or better sound quality tracks the differences are more clear. Sometimes the difference between two reeds on the same mouthpiece is already bigger than the difference between different mouthpieces played with the same reed . In general I think that a player can get his preferred sound from any (well build) mouthpiece that fits in his sound concept. We on SOTW (me including) concentrate ourselfs often too much on gear.

Again, all based on my (limited amateur) experience. Also: what works for me can and will probably not work for another player, or will work differently. In the end we are all different and have to find what we prefer the best in our own way and based on our own preferences and experience.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures