P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Jupiter Jas 767

Default Jupiter Jas 767

Hi, I have a Jupiter Jas 767 Alto Sax (serial # 20####) and am trying to find information about it. I have been told that it was superseded by another model that was not as good. I was told the 767 was as good as any of the 4 majors but at a fraction of the cost.
    Any advice appreciated please.
    Regards Stefg

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Jupiter Jas 767

Hey there,

I'm no expert on Jupiters but you are correct. The other model is the one starting with a 5. 547 I believe.....

I played a Jupiter Soprano for a time and it was a very nice instrument.

If it's in good working order you have a fairly well made modern horn that should take you far.
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vandoren Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundclick.com/seanwinterJAZZ All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post
    Hey there,

I'm no expert on Jupiters but you are correct. The other model is the one starting with a 5. 547 I believe.....

I played a Jupiter Soprano for a time and it was a very nice instrument.

If it's in good working order you have a fairly well made modern horn that should take you far.
    I have a problem cos I haven't played alongside others (and starting late am somewhat tone deaf)
    Need to get out more (with other musicians) methinks.
    Thanks

Distinguished SOTW Technician. Oric Muso's Avatar

Jupiter is a good beginners instrument. They produces the Cheaper 500 series. But they had cheaper models earlier. 767 became 767-769 which is similar.
    Like most Taiwan manufacturers they have been indercut by cheaper Chinese instruments and so they have moved up into the professional market and they have 969 models.

767 is a good allrounder but I think the pro models from other manufacturers will beat it and the Jupiters pro models.

Forum Contributor 2014 MoonMind's Avatar

In my experience, it's simply wrong to underestimate the Jupiter horns from the 700 series upwards - the JAS-769-767 I own may be a somewhat shameless look-and-work-alike of the Selmer SuperAction 80(I), but it's a really good copy (including some of the bugs): It's astonishingly well built (this is a heavy horn - even compared to the original) and has a full, dark voice - only slightly less refined than my own Selmer SA80II. What's more, I find the older 700 series horns more interesting tone-wise than the newer ones. If you can find/own one in good working order, I'd say keep the horn and enjoy it.

M.
    ss: King (H. N. White, curved); Bauhaus Walstein Bronze AI (straight); Mantovanelli (an Orsi stencil, straight).
    as: King Super 20 SilverSonic; Yanagisawa A-6; Selmer SuperAction 80 II; Lyrist "Briard"; Yamaha YAS-25; Jupiter JAS-769-767.
    ts: Yanagisawa T-500; Cannonball T5; Conn 10M.
    bs: Conn 12M; Yanagisawa B-6; Keilwerth The New King.
    => Support Free Software! <=

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012 dexdex's Avatar

Default Jupiter Jas 767

I also own a 767-769 alto as a backup horn, which I actually never play. Don't play much alto these days anyway. Amazingly easy to play all over the range, and slightly brighter than my SA-II, but still a more refined tone than the typical Yamaha low end alto. It could very well hold against a pro horn.
    This horn positively influenced my general opinion about Taiwanese horns.
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

I just found a JAS 769-767 in a resale shop here and after reading the generally good opinions of these I snapped it up. It was used very little, with the lacquer (overly bright and shiny for my taste) totally intact, pads in like new cond and plays up and down easy as pie. Nice action and a very nice tone, far superior to the chinese Yani-clone I bougtht years ago from Kessler Music. That was a mistake. I don't play much alto but when I do it is a Buescher TT series IV. I got this as a back up and to see what playing a modern horn is like or something like that. Actually it was really just GAS and the inability to pass up a good deal. I can always sell it if I want to and not lose any money.
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter