P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price for a tenor sax

Default Price for a tenor sax

This thread will be a future reference for me when I have a part time job in order to buy a sax.
    I feel that I need to have a legitimate pro sax as a necessity in the future.

What I'm looking for is a Selmer tenor sax. A Mark VI and later (nothing like a SBA and older).

The ergonomics has to be somewhat modern, at LEAST Mark VI like ergos (because I've played on only one).

Selmer tenor saxes that I'm interested in are:
    • Super Action Series I
    • Super Action Series II
    • Super Action Series III
    • Ref. 54
    • Ref. 36
    • maybe Mark VII's

Other options might be:
    • King Super 20
    • Yamaha 62
    • Other horns of similar REPUTATION

What I'm not considering:
    • Taiwanese horns
    • Chinese horns
    • Really expensive horns
    • Vintage horns with outdated ergos (Bueschers, Conns, etc)
    • Student horns
    • Intermediate horns

I'm going to assume that my budget will be $6000 dollars at the most, but realistically, I'll probably have $3000 at the most.

Depending on what I can find at that time, I'll buy either a new or used horn, most likely used.
    I'll most likely buy a Series I or II because they are reasonably priced and perfectly fit my criteria.

None of this is guaranteed, but I want this thread to be a reference for my future use, and possibly for other people as well.

You can't tell me to make a search, because prices constantly change over the years, but not too drastically within a year,
    even then, it will still be like finding a piece of hay in a needle stack.

PS. Don't get off topic. This is strictly a thread looking for PRICES. Let me repeat, PRICES.

By the way, my question is asking for an average price of an used horn that I listed.
    I forget that people don't deduce questions the way I do.

Edit: Got rid of Mark VI's. Prices vary too much.
    My Tenor: Antigua 551LQ, STM 6*/Vandoren T20
    Alto: I use whatever available, S-80 C*
    I put up with a lot of people's BS.

Default Re: Price for a tenor sax

Prices for a tenor sax listed here.

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar

You make a lot of demands for someone asking for help.
    Type in the saxophones you are interested in on a Google search and you will find more information on current prices than you will get from anyone on here willing to answer your question.
    Of course one would need to understand what the question actually is first.
    Google search. Let me repeat Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by B Flat View Post
    You make a lot of demands for someone asking for help.
    Type in the saxophones you are interested in on a Google search and you will find more information on current prices than you will get from anyone on here willing to answer your question.
    Of course one would need to understand what the question actually is first.
    Google search. Let me repeat Google search.
    I'm not asking for one person to list ALL the prices of every horns I listed.

I don't post threads here without google searches or experiences.

I KNOW the prices of the NEW horns.

I did say that I will most likely buy an USED horn.

So prices will VARY, but there is an average price for each USED horn.

go to ebay and look at the completed (sold) listings of the horns you listed. That is an easy way to find out the average price
    Buescher TT Stencil Alto - Conn C-Melody - Gold Martin Stencil Tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member

Super Action 80's run around $2-$3k used.
    Same with MK VII.
    Yamaha 62 run $2500 or so used.
    Reference horns will probably be out of your price range.
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

Quote Originally Posted by buddy lee View Post
    Super Action 80's run around $2-$3k used.
    Same with MK VII.
    Yamaha 62 run $2500 or so used.
    Reference horns will probably be out of your price range.
    Super action 80's, do you mean any of the series, or the series I?

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

You should have Keilwerth and Yanagisawa tenors on your list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunsoo View Post
    Super action 80's, do you mean any of the series, or the series I?
    Series I and II for sure. Series III tend to be over $3k from what I've seen.
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    What is the question?

Yes, exactly.

Look.....your original post was full of verbiage but not much to the point. So for you to instruct us not to 'stray off topic' is a bit puzzling.

I mean....are you asking how much a good professional calibre Tenor sax with 'modern' keywork costs.....the Forum is full of those answers already.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunsoo View Post
    I'm not asking for one person to list ALL the prices of every horns I listed.

I don't post threads here without google searches or experiences.

I KNOW the prices of the NEW horns.

I did say that I will most likely buy an USED horn.

So prices will VARY, but there is an average price for each USED horn.

But you can figure that out yourself already, by doing what Ginger suggested and referencing the sale prices online....very easily accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    You should have Keilwerth and Yanagisawa tenors on your list as well.
    Most definitely...but the OP isn't clear as to whether this suggestion would be 'off topic' or not......

Also you note a Super 20 as a considered horn, then note that you are not interested in vintage horns with older keywork, yet for most a Super 20 would fall into that category, too.....
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post

Most definitely...but the OP isn't clear as to whether this suggestion would be 'off topic' or not......

Also you note a Super 20 as a considered horn, then note that you are not interested in vintage horns with older keywork, yet for most a Super 20 would fall into that category, too.....
    You know me...I like to stir the pot.

I did restrain myself from mentioning any of the excellent Taiwanese made horns that I own and make my living on - 'cos the horns the pay my mortgage are evidently not good enough for a prospective college student.

Default Price for a tenor sax

You know me...I like to stir the pot.

I did restrain myself from mentioning any of the excellent Taiwanese made horns that I own and make my living on - 'cos the horns the pay my mortgage are evidently not good enough for a prospective college student.
    What Taiwanese horns do you own/play?

Sorry, is my question off topic? 😈

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post

Yes, exactly.

Look.....your original post was full of verbiage but not much to the point. So for you to instruct us not to 'stray off topic' is a bit puzzling.

I mean....are you asking how much a good professional calibre Tenor sax with 'modern' keywork costs.....the Forum is full of those answers already.

But you can figure that out yourself already, by doing what Ginger suggested and referencing the sale prices online....very easily accessible.

I did say,
    "Other horns of similar REPUTATION".
    That clause allows a little more variety to the horn options.

I even specified the horns of which prices I want to know about.

"Selmer tenor saxes that I'm interested in are:"

or

"King Super 20"
    "Yamaha 62"

The title also says "Price for a tenor sax", which is the subject of the topic.

And also, if you read "Edit: Got rid of Mark VI's. Prices vary too much. ", you can assume that I originally listed Mark VI's.
    According to my GOOGLE and EBAY searches, I can tell that Super 20's were made around the same era of the Mark VI's.
    I can also assume that the ergos will also be sufficient for my work, just by looking at the pictures.

Atonal, yes your question is off-topic, but I'll answer that for you. I played Antigua's, Cannonball's, P. Mauriats, and a couple of others that I forgot the name of, but if you were talking to Merlin, then never mind about the second part of my answer.

And Merlin, I am a high school student that still lives with his parents, so I don't have to worry about bills and living expenses, and I plan to work months on a part-time job to buy a sax that is nice and will not hold me back from practicing efficiently.

Is there anything wrong with that? I'm trying to make my own money to buy a horn, instead of relying on my parents to buy one for me.

If I do invest months of work into buying a horn, I want to make sure that it was worth every penny of mine.

Oh yeah, I'm not familiar with any of the other 2 "Big 4" manufacturers. Are you able to list a couple of models that are similar to the caliber of the horns I listed?

Okay, I have listed my purpose, question, reasoning, and prior research, I don't want to be asked any more off topic things.

No offense to anyone, but if somebody still feels that there is a lack of information regarding to answering the question and says something off-topic,
    you are an incompetent thinker or a troll on the internet with nothing better to do.
    I am not trying to be rude, but if you do offer your 2 cents that is not necessary whatsoever, you are being disrespectful yourself.

PS. I want to thank buddy lee for being helpful by being prompt. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

< Gets popcorn >

Default Sv: Price for a tenor sax

Have you tried the Berkeley Virtuoso saxes? They are suposed to be a very good copy of the MKVI.

Default Re: Sv: Price for a tenor sax

I plan to work months on a part-time job to buy a sax that is nice and will not hold me back from practicing efficiently.

^
    this....

You're welcome. It took me less time to type my answers out than it probably took everyone else to berate you for asking a question.
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Yes, I'm totally with this. As someone who earns a very good pro living playing Taiwanes and Chinese saxophones, not to mention Italian and vintage American instruments.

Chunsoo, you seem to be a bit aggressive towards people who you are asking advice from.

I can think of a couple of analogies:

Posting something without actually asking a question (I see you have now edited the OP) and expecting people to give up their time to help is a bit like walking into the kitchen and saying "dinner!". As opposed to, "could I have my dinner, please?"

Telling people not to get off topic in a forum such as this is like asking them to take your dog for a walk, but don't let it pee.

You say you know all the list prices, in that case all I would do is assume between 60% and 75% for used in good condition.

EDIT: prices people post will vary wildly I think. The price form a shop (with a warrantee) should be higher than an ebay, Craiglist or SOTW price.

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

If you are seriously working on a budget for a pro-level sax, you should be sure to include at least $500 (or more) to cover getting your horn set up.

Doesn't matter what you buy: if it's not properly set up by a real tech, it won't play like a "pro" horn. Sadly, from what I have read a number of times here on SotW (and have seen for myself), this can even include top of the line new pro horns from companies like Selmer.

Forgive me if this advice doesn't fall under your definition of prices!
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast