P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Saxophone bell sound deflector

Default Saxophone bell sound deflector

I was wondering if anyone knew the official name for something the covers the bell and reflects the sound. If you know of what I'm talking about and where I could find one, online preferably. Please respond. Thanks a lot.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Go down to the thread below called "Sound Reflector," and you'll find your answer. I much prefer the kind that you attach to the mike stand, since I hate having something like that attached to the bell of my sax. These things are great for playing in situations where you don't know if you can rely on the monitors.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

The bell-mounted reflector should be used with a bell-mounted mic, wired or wireless. You can't use it with a stand mic; it would block the sound.....I use a Ploeger Sound Mirror for my wireless set-up, when I can't rely on monitors, and one that clips to my stand mic (I forget the name;WWBW sells it) when I use a stand mic. Different horses for different courses.............

I just got in a Ploeger deflector and it is not really clamping on securely to my bell. Am I missing something? I placed the black pads on the plastic clamps, but it still dangles loosely.

Default Re: Saxophone bell sound deflector

Depending on what you need you might find a reflector that clips on to your mic stand or music stand more practical. I use a clip on wireless mic so found the sound reflector to be better for my needs. I got it online at www.soundreflector.com

..should be easy to make the flap...anyone got any tips??? i got the plexiglass!!!!!!
    SML Revision D Tenor Otto Link Slant Sig 7* Brillhart HR Sakshama Lost Wax Guardala MBII in sterling silver Theo Wanne Wood Ambika 7* Strathon 7* Stan Getz Legend 7*
    R&C curvy soprano Wanne Gaia 8 soprano mouthpiece

macsax.com
    mingofishtrap.com - I don't play with 'em anymore but they still kick butt. Check them out.

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbroad572 View Post
    I just got in a Ploeger deflector and it is not really clamping on securely to my bell. Am I missing something? I placed the black pads on the plastic clamps, but it still dangles loosely.
    I've had one for a few years. I finally gave up on the "rubber pads" and replaced them with those stick on thick felt furniture leg pads you can buy at Home Depot and cut to size. Better but still wobbley.

Hi.
    I recently bought a reflector from www.mcgillmusic.com and it works great. I use it mainly on louder club gigs when I haven't got my own monitor. It's a really simple design and easy to use. Definitely recommend it. I think you can also get it direct from www.soundreflector.com