P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 October - December

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 October -

Hi everybody, I'm Marco! I've played saxophone since I was 9!

Hello all SOTW members. I started playing sax at the age of eight in 1968 and play casually as much as I possibly can and semi-professionally when time permits. I am an architect by profession and use my music knowledge and background to design performing arts facilities and spaces. Thanks for welcoming me to your group!

Hello, hello. Matt Rippetoe here. I live in Washington, DC and I play alto, tenor and baritone saxophones.

Hi everyone! I'm new to sax, having played the tenor for 1 month now. I had (and still have) a burning desire to learn the sax after hearing Hank Mobley's Dig Dis and the sax solo at the end of Men At Work's F-19. I have a feeling this will be a life long endeavor. Cheers!

Hello. i'm Anthony , i've played the sax for nearly 25 years. I am a teacher of saxophone and flute..

Hello people! I have started private lessons on alto saxophone on August 2012 and i am very glad that i came across this excellent forum for our favorite woodwind! My name is Billy and i reside in a small town in western Greece.I wish all Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

PS:My occupation is as trainee in an accountant's office.

I'm Josh from Berkeley, CA. I'm 16, started playing tenor last year after playing clarinet and bass clarinet for a few years. This instrument has completely drawn me in and I like to think my learning curve has been pretty steep as a result. Anyway, I've been on this forum a number of times and always found it useful and entertaining. I have posted here before but just a couple times and I figure I ought to get on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by G Dubb Tenor View Post
    I'm Josh from Berkeley, CA. I'm 16, started playing tenor last year after playing clarinet and bass clarinet for a few years. This instrument has completely drawn me in and I like to think my learning curve has been pretty steep as a result. Anyway, I've been on this forum a number of times and always found it useful and entertaining. I have posted here before but just a couple times and I figure I ought to get on this thread.
    Sorry my english are not so good.You mean that tenor sax has disappointed you? Merry christmas and a happy new year Josh!

He was referring to the Tenor Saxophone really making a difference in his interest. In other words he "LOVES" the tenor Sax. I'm Vern from SW Michigan. I'm 59 and been playing saxophone since (looks at watch and calendar) since Dec. 8, 2012. That is when I bought my Orpheo Alto Saxophone. I play by ear and besides learning the scales and now working on the Blues/Jazz, I can play many Chrismas carols, Hey Jude, some other stuff as well. I have a way of hearing a note and when I fiddle on it long enough on the clarinet or saxophone, I can begin to play it. Drives my wife crazy as she, too, is starting to learn to play the clarinet, and learns the note by note and can play Hot Cross Buns on the clarinet, and I pick up it or the Sax and play "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" or that opening song of "My Three Sons".
    Vern (Vento 900 Tenor Sax)
    Duduk (Armenian double reed instrument) maker in Michigan http://americanduduk.com
    "I was born with nothing and have managed to keep most of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
    He was referring to the Tenor Saxophone really making a difference in his interest. In other words he "LOVES" the tenor Sax. I'm Vern from SW Michigan. I'm 59 and been playing saxophone since (looks at watch and calendar) since Dec. 8, 2012. That is when I bought my Orpheo Alto Saxophone. I play by ear and besides learning the scales and now working on the Blues/Jazz, I can play many Chrismas carols, Hey Jude, some other stuff as well. I have a way of hearing a note and when I fiddle on it long enough on the clarinet or saxophone, I can begin to play it. Drives my wife crazy as she, too, is starting to learn to play the clarinet, and learns the note by note and can play Hot Cross Buns on the clarinet, and I pick up it or the Sax and play "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" or that opening song of "My Three Sons".
    Hello Gibbs! For how long do you play clarinet? Well i'm on alto since last August and i handle in a way the chromatic scale.I m very proud that i am introduced in music again.Merry christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGreece View Post
    Hello Gibbs! For how long do you play clarinet? Well i'm on alto since last August and i handle in a way the chromatic scale.I m very proud that i am introduced in music again.Merry christmas!
    I joke when I look at my watch, but I really have only been playing a saxopone a couple of weeks. I'm gifted I guess in knowing how to hear music and hear the notes I play and correct myself. I bought an Alto Orpheo back on Dec 8th of this year. Now I am very interested in getting a tenor. I know I now have TOO MANY mouthpieces in the drawer!
    Merry Christmas to you there in Greece and to everyone else in the whole world, and Blessings to those that are not celebrating Christmas.

Clarinet... About last June is when I started playing a clarinet. I've never owned or even held one before this spring. I had all my teet pulled this spring over 2 sessions and I had to give it time to heal and the gums to shrink a bit. I play with dentures now.

By The Way.... Welcome!
    Vern (Vento 900 Tenor Sax)
    Duduk (Armenian double reed instrument) maker in Michigan http://americanduduk.com
    "I was born with nothing and have managed to keep most of it!"

Music heals people's problems,and that is the magic dear Gibbs! Thank you so much for your kind words and wishes.I hope you will enjoy the christmas time and blow many times your woodwinds!! www.youtube.com/user/TheFunkyKingston
    Drop sometime from my YT channel to check my stuff!! I am a crazy cd/vinyl collector!!!

Hello, I'm Yuki. I have been playing the tenor saxophone for more than 10 years. Sometimes I play the soprano, too. I joined this site to learn about saxophones
    and want to share an idea with people in the world. Looking forward to learning many things from you.

Hi. I've just started playing again after a 20-year absence. I'm ready to go! I have a 1926 Buescher Alto.
    I've been reading this forum for a few months and am happy to be a member!

hi my name is Jack, Im in Hidden Valley lake CA, I travel the world for job and find interesting saxophones to collect, looking forward to trading unlike ebay with the ridiculous fees

Hello my name is Daniel. I am from Chattanooga TN and currently I am a saxophonist in the army band. I've been playing saxophone since I was 11 and I'm still playing at 27. In college I mostly played classical but now I'm really trying to become a much better jazz player. Right now i'm playing on a selmer reference 54 for alto and the same for tenor. Hope that this is enough of an intro. I really love this site and I've been using it now for about 6-7 years. For some reason I'm just now joining.

Hi. I was on the forum a while back, but due to life getting in the way, fell off. I'm back and looking forward to reading the various posts and advice on the forum. I grew up playing trumpet (still playing on a one of a kind Tony Scodwell French Styled Boston model), but switched to sax in law school due to living in tighter quarters (played soprano sax then). Since then I've expanded and now have a stable with two altos (Yamaha YAS-62 and YAS-52) and my curved Yanigasawa...Don't do gigs or play publicly, just with the family at holidays (two sons, one drummer and one piano, wife on guitar), and alone in my makeshift studio using backing tracks and foolling around with programs like Garage Band...maybe one day...Thanks for a great forum!

Hi Ed Jones here new member from London Uk.Pro Jazz saxophonist and Educator for 30 years,been playing 35 years.Great to be part of the community

Hey All!

I'm brand new to this site like everyone else, I've been playing flute/piccolo for about fifteen years, clarinet for about ten years and saxophone for six to seven years. I hope to one day play pit orchestra music, I've always enjoyed the rush of performing live music to other art forms as it keeps both stage performers and musicians on the edge of their seats.

I've known about this site for a few years, I just never thought of actually using it until now (silly post grad kid that I am). I've studied music at both the University of Wisconsin - River Falls and Oklahoma City University! Currently working full-time to pay back those pesky student loans and playing with a community band here in Minnesota to keep my chops!

I'll probably be found asking occasional questions and reading a lot in the forums. I look forward to seeing what SOTW is all about! )

Hello. I've just joined the forum. I've been reading it for a couple weeks. In fact, I've only been playing the saxophone for that long. I've played drums and piano when I was younger. Now that I've retired, I wanted to try an alto sax. I picked up a cheap one on ebay. But the dealer did the tuning and setup. So I think it'll do until I'm sure I want to continue, after which I'll get something better. But I'm almost certain I'll want to continue. I never had an instrument feel more natural. Wow.

In just a couple of weeks of reading, I can see that there are many experts here, with deep experience in the field. Just reading the discussions has been a treat. Thanks for letting me join.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast