P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 October - December

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 October -

Hello everybody. I have been playing for 10 years and have been having the time of my life doing it. I play in my universities wind ensemble, jazz band and sax choir as well as a local community band.

Hi I'm Allen from Queensland, Australia. I played sax seriously over 30 years ago, let it slide, and recently returned to it. I also play guitar and steeel guitar. I got hold of a mid 30's King Zephyr tenor and have been getting my jaw back in slowly (can't handle the huge tip gap and reeds I used when I was in my twenties). I have also recently acquired a 30"s Martin stencil baritone (Vega) and I am having a lot of fun again. I play in a "kustom Kulture" roots type band, so the horns have been a fine addition to the sound, and it's great to be "honking" again. Cheers to you all.

Hello , I'm Tim . Have been playing since 1982 , currently playing in the worship band at my church . We have three services on sunday and one on saturday night , so I'm getting myself back in shape rather quickly. Looking forward to being able to hit the altissimo notes again ! Not there yet I play a selmer super action 80 tenor , and a la voiz Alto , really enjoy it ! Many people at the church have let me know how much they enjoy it . Cheers everybody !

Hello,
    I'm Marcel. I've been playing for 15 years with a classical focus. Now that I'm out of the military, I've started working on my BMA in performance. I play with the Seattle Saxophone Orchestra, and I own and play the full range from Soprillo to Contrabass saxophones (including C Soprano, C Melody Tenor, and F Mezzo-Soprano).

I'm a high school student from New Mexico who's gotten pretty good at sax and learned a lot at this website so I finally decided to register.
    I play tenor and frequently annoy everyone with my renditions of careless whispers
    Thanks to everyone at this forum I've learned so much about sax and I look forward to contributing what little I know to everyone else here

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. I started on Alto like most and eventually moved to Bari. I played for a few years with UC Irvine jazz, then unfortunately got too busy to keep it up when I moved on to graduate stuff. I picked things up again after a nearly 10 yr absence recently and I hope to start playing a lot more in about 9 months when I finish residency.

Hi, my name is Justin and I am a K-12 Music Teacher in Kansas. I started playing the sax when I was in the 4th grade and have not wanted to put it down since! I majored on Bassoon, but my first love is and always will be the sax. Currently I have my original Selmer student model Alto, an Indiana Tenor Sax by Martin, and just today bought a Lyon Nealy C-Melody Tenor Sax. Looking forward to lots of adivce and tips from this group.

Jake here, I am new to the forum. I am in my upper 30's and have an interst in playing the sax. I love the sounds and songs the instrument makes. I would love to belt out some of those great 80's sax solo's, like Urgent, one of my favorites!! I started playing this past September and am loving it. I have a Conn alton and a Vito tenor. Still pretty new and am learning everyday. I am taking lessons to be able to play great some day. Just looking around for information to help me improve and share my experiences with others.

Hi Everyone. I'm primarily a baritone saxophonist but also play alto, soprano, clarinet, bass clarinet and flute.
    During the 70s I toured and recorded with Maynard Ferguson -'72 -'76 (MF Horn 3, Live At Jimmy's and Chameleon) and Woody Herman -'77 - '78 ('Roadfather', 'Chick, Donald Walter and Woodrow,' ) Also recorded w/ Anthony Braxton "Creative Orchestra Music 1976" and early fusion group "New York Mary" - two albums
    Currently run jazz studies at Fredonia State University and do concerts / clinics etc
    Recently played in L.A. for The L.A. Jazz Institute's fall jazz festival.
    I use and endorse an Aaron Drake custom ceramic hybrid mouthpiece.
    My baritone is a 1964 French made low Bb Mk VI 134000 with the factory Selmer stand.
    I could be induced to part with the stand and the accompanying brace ....

Bruce Johnstone

Hi all! I'm Ruben and I've just started playing the saxophone (alt). It's really a great experience for me and a dream come true!
    I hope to learn from your experience and maybe help others in a few years

Hi and thank you for this site! My name is Tom and I have been playing sax since 6th grade. After a 20 year lay off, I am getting back into playing, inspired by my 8 year old daughter who I am teaching on my 30 year old Bundy I. I'd love to play a few numbers in church and take my playing to the next level. Currently I am refurbishing an old Lyon Healy Soprano that I played in high school jazz band (putting in new cord and pads), and I am looking for a solid vintage tenor sax to purchase.

Hi, I've been playing the tenor sax for almost six years and am in my junior year in high school. I hope to major in music after graduating.

Hey all. I'm Mike Barks and I play saxophone for the US Army (and have for the past 19 yrs). This isn't my first visit to SOTW, and no real excuses for not joining before now, but figured it was just my time. Harri, if you read this, I had the great fortune to be an exchange student at the University of Tampere back in the day, so much love for your stomping grounds. As mentioned, I visited SOTW several years back when I was trying to get info on SML saxes before I purchased one (Rev D Tenor from 1959). The article from Fred Cicetti was about all the info to be found back then. Looks like we've come a long way since then. Part of my motivation for joining now is interest in acquiring a soprano--so I've come back. If anyone has a line on one, I'd appreciate some info. It doesn't have to be pretty--my tenor had a pretty rough life before I got it--I just need a player, and it's mostly a hobby horn. Anyway, I love the SML Tenor and have been trolling the internet for available sopranos. I love my Mark VI Alto, too, but the price they are fetching these days....

Aside from all this, I brew some beer, grill some meat, and play around in the kitchen for fun--when I'm not chasing 4 rugrats around. I look forward to chatting around with members and making acquaintance with more players out there.

My name is Quang Liem, who are Vietnamese, I was very happy to be involved with the forum, and hope to learn from you a lot of good ideas on saxophone because I am very passionate about this instrument .

Hello,
    my name is Nils and playing the piano. However, my son is playing primarily soprano sax and I supporting him 100%. I found this interesting forum when I searched for a Yanagisawa SC992, so I decided to join the group. If someone wants to sell his 992, so please get in touch.

regards
    / Nils

Hello all! My name is Candido and I have been playing the Saxophone for 14 years. I started playing the Alto Sac when I was six and have not stopped since! I am working as a studio musician for the college i attend playing, Soprano, Alto, Baritone saxes, clarinet, flute and a Yamaha WX5 wind controller. As I had mentioned, I am a college student. I am currently majoring in music education minoring in Jazz performance. I don't know why I haven't hopped on this forum sooner, but I look forward to learning new things and getting to know other musicians on here!

-Candido

Hi guys,

I'm Robert, an alto player that started 5 months ago or so. After a love/hate relationship with the drums for 7 years i started the saxophone and i'm convinced it's the most amazing instrument out there. I hope you can help me become better and it, of course, works the other way around.

Greetings.

Tried to post last night, but insomnia must have got the better of my senses.... Anyway, I'm Mike and I've been playing saxes for the US Army for the past 19 years and some change. Before the Army, I earned a Bachelor of Music Education from Southeast Missouri State University. I took one of the years in college and did an exchange in Finland at the University of Tampere. It's not my first trip to SotW. I did a little research here before I purchased my SML Tenor (rev d 1959 vintage according to the research I did here previously) several years back, so I have appreciated the site as a resource, and now as a member. Aside from music, I dabble in brewing beer, BBQ, and while I was serving in Alaska, I found that I enjoy the sport of Curling--but it's hard to find ice time in North Carolina! I also have a Mark VI Alto from 1970 that I acquired back in my collegiate days. I've currently got a burning intrest in picking up a Soprano, which re-kindled my association with SotW. My wife plays clarinet and I think it would be fun to play some duets around the house--as well as to have a lighter, more compact practicing option. While I should probably work on my doubling, I'm more suited to the Sax. Anyway, I look forward to meeting some new players/hobbyists here and scouring the forums for gear.

Cheers!
    Mike

Hi, my name is Hannibal i leave in Napoli Italy and i play a fantastic tenor Selmer Super Balanced Action.

Hi guys~

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast