Sax on the Web Forum banner

Great deal for shellac on eBay

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Gordon (NZ) 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Got my shellac today, fast shipping! It is a nice orange color, and heats up nice and easily with a fairly low temp. I am assuming this makes it good for horn repair.

What is the best way to store shellac flake longterm? There is no way I will be going through two pounds of shellac quickly. lol

#7 ·
IMO the problem with flake shellac is that it needs to be melted into sticks before it can be effectively used as pad cement. (How do you melt flake shellac onto the back of a pad?)

#8 ·
I fill the pad cup with shellac flakes, then heat up the pad cup with a solder gun with tip cut off so that the pad cup completes the connection. A torch or alcohol lamp can be used as well. While the shellac is still molten, I float a pad. Sticks quite well. My C-Mel I did entirely with a hot glue gun. And while it did the trick, I really like the shellac better.

#9 ·
The back of a pad has a dip in the middle, where there is no leather. If I float a pad on a bed of melted shellac, then that dip will contain a pocket of air. And IMO pockets of air behind pads undermine stability, hence reliability.

Another issue is that pocket of air expanding as it is heated by the glue, adding to the possibility of shellac oozing out around the pad. And that is unsightly.

That's why I put the bulk of the glue on the exposed cardboard behind the pad. If I judge it right... no air pockets at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.