Sax on the Web Forum banner

from Alto to Tenor question

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dave Dolson 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have read a few threads on here that are close to what my 'problem' is, but not exact so thought I would drop a post in.

On Alto, I can get a good tone, play in tune, and get good projection... which is to me where it sounds like my sax is shooting the sound out of it, and into the room I am playing in.

On Tenor, which I just got this year, I can get a good tone and play in tune, but it does not seem like I am getting the same good projection... it seems to me like the sound is 'stuck' in the horn, or is further away from me. Obviously the tenor is bigger, so the sound is I guess somewhat further from me... so is this normal perhaps and I just got to get used to it maybe?

If when practicing I point it towards a close wall, or play in the tile covered bathroom, it sounds good. If I play out and use a mic, I like the sound. But last night at a jam session the sound seemed somewhat lost, even just among unplugged guitars (a swing Django jam). I never had an issue with hearing myself on alto, but this is way different.

Thanks,
doug

See less See more
#2 ·
doug: Tenor and alto are two different horns (obviously). The projection you achieve with alto is probably not going to be the same on tenor. But keep in mind, what you hear from behind the horn is not the same as what is heard by others in front or even alongside your horn(s). You may THINK you are blowing your head off while those in front (the audience) are wondering why your playing so loudly.

Another thing - years ago, I was taught that to learn to project better, play in a large room, pick out a spot as far away from you as possible, and "project' to that far away spot, thinking about playing to someone in that far corner. A mental picture will often aid in you doing what you want to do.

And, maybe mouthpiece choices could help you in projecting more. I no longer own a tenor or play one (I used to, Dr. G . . .), but I found that with my altos, some mouthpieces projected much better than others. For instance, my alto Super Session F was warm and full, yet it was also spread and thus, I felt it wasn't projecting. Other alto pieces were a bit brighter and much more focused (some use the term "centered") and thus they gave me a feeling of better projection. I'm sure you can find the same results in tenor mouthpieces. DAVE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.