Sax on the Web Forum banner

Can anyone help identify this Antigua soprano model?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dave Dolson 
#1 ·
I recently came into possession of an Antigua soprano saxophone and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the model. It's a straight soprano with a straight (detached) neck, and reads "Antigua Winds" with a serial number of 9704446. There is some floral engraving near the bell as well.

I've linked a few pictures as well. If anyone can offer anything, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Pictures here:

#4 ·
You may want to query Dave Kessler, he's been an Antigua dealer for a long time. I just looked at my Antigua dual-neck soprano (curved and straight necks). It is a 590LQ and has hi-G keying (the one you pictured went to hi-F#) plus mine has a serial number preceded by the letters "YS" which I recall was the key to ensuring a buyer got the most current of the Antigua offerings at that time.

Now, the model designations have changed once again. I think RandyJ is correct, though. If the current models are considered to be third-generation, mine would be a second-generation, and the one you pictured may be the first generation. If it plays well, that's all that counts. Value? Probably not much considering the price of a new one these days. Old Asian-made, non-Japanese sopranos don't command a lot of respect, yet they can be good players. DAVE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.