Sax on the Web Forum banner

Paul Gonsalves & Sonny Stitt (Salt & Pepper album 1963)

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 ·
Wow, just found some clips from the Paul Gonsalves and Sonny Stitt LP 'Salt & Pepper' on YouTube :). I have the album, but my record player died a long time ago, so I didn't listen to it for ages. Gonsalves kills on this recording, one of my favourite LP's with Paul ever.

Here are some examples (Gonsalves plays in both clips the first solo):

- Perdido (Stitt's solo is at 4:15, check also the fours at 9:20 and the typical Stitt alike out part at 11:00):

or

Enjoy!!!

#3 ·
Thanks Bill, glad you enjoyed it :).

The guy who posted these clips on YouTube has put more tunes of the album online, just check his account or search YT on "Sonny Stitt's & Paul Gonsalves". I remember also a great version of 'Stardust' on that album, but unfortunately that one is not posted on YT.

#4 ·
Another one of this sessions is 'Stardust', with Stitt on alto and Gonsalves with the most beautiful Otto Link Tone Master tenor sound on earth :):

or

#13 ·
Just found a YouTube video of the full album, and since some of above links don't work anymore I share it in this thread:

- Personnel:
Tenor Saxophone - Paul Gonsalves
Tenor and Alt Saxophone - Sonny Stitt
Piano - Hank Jones
Bass - Milt Hinton
Drums - Osie Johnson

- Tracks:
A1 - Salt And Pepper 0:00
A2 - S'Posin' 7:53
A3 - Theme From Lord Of The Flies 14:13
B1 - Perdido 16:41
B2 - Stardust 29:22

- Recorded At:
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, September 5, 1963.

#14 ·
Thanks mrpeebee,
listening to the great sound of Gonsalves and later listening to your sound...Gonsalves of the Netherlands, you’re close to it!

#16 ·
Thanks mrpeebee,
listening to the great sound of Gonsalves and later listening to your sound...Gonsalves of the Netherlands, you're close to it!
Thank you sir, but that's too much honour for me!

I have this album also.
I have it on USB stick along with many other albums.
It plays quite regularly on rotation in my car.
Great stuff.
Yes Nick, I also have the album as MP3 on the USB in my car.

Gonsalves sounds so great in this recording and Stitt is great too, but for sound he is no match for Paul.

#17 ·
Gonsalves never ceases to amaze. Massive X factors and abstract concepts in his playing... The dude was from another planet. A complete original voice who ensconced himself in the warm bosom of the Ellington orchestra, and made a handful of feature albums such as this. He was a star, but he could've easily stepped out and had a solo career and been a bigger star, but I think his drinking habit was a huge deterrent, and for a guy like him being an Ellingtonian without the pressures and responsibilities of a full blown solo career was a great option. None of these young guns today can touch him for having such a unique an beautiful voice.

#18 ·
Fully agree, well said.

Very early Gonsalves sounded a bit like Ben Webster, who was one of his hero's. The sound of Paul is for me one of the best tenor sounds ever.

I saw some time ago a video of Ellington with Don Byas, who had to play Paul's horn and mouthpiece. Don is a fantastic player, but he couldn't get a decent out of Paul's setup. I didn't want to post that video here, it is a kind of embarrassing for Don Byas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.