Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Default Re: Review of the American made Powell "Silver Eagle" alto saxophone

I can't get this thread to open!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar

Me neither!
    Check Youtube for my videos of bass sax, contrabass sax, tubax, and soprillo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtek

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Maybe they just hate Florida people!

Harri is working on it. See: Unable to view posts in some threads

Thanks for reporting. Please do not report a broken thread more than once.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Thanks, Kim!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

You mean I am gonna have to write my verbose, rambling reply all over again ?????
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    You mean I am gonna have to write my verbose, rambling reply all over again ?????
    Let's HOPE not! The subject line (prior to this post) said that there has been 19 replies. Hopefully, they're around here somewhere and can be retrieved/restored.

We don't want 'cha going on another verbose ramblin don'cha see!?

Quote Originally Posted by ratracer View Post
    Let's HOPE not! The subject line (prior to this post) said that there has been 19 replies. Hopefully, they're around here somewhere and can be retrieved/restored.

There was a recent database problem which rendered some forum pages totally useless.
    In fixing it several broken posts had to be deleted to recover.

Unfortunately they are gone forever.

See forum problem report

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ratracer View Post

It's a curse, and a gift.....

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harri Rautiainen View Post
    There was a recent database problem which rendered some forum pages totally useless.
    In fixing it several broken posts had to be deleted to recover.

Unfortunately they are gone forever.

See forum problem report
    Aaaah rats Harri. Sorry about that. I was hoping worst case was not the scenario here. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post

It's a curse, and a gift.....
    Yeah, I can relate, somewhat...

It was a good review though! Please do recreate at your convenience. 'Sides, I really didn't consider there was THAT much ramblin. I've learned the hard way that if I'm working on a long post, I create the post in a word processor/text app, and cut & paste into a post.

Mr. "If Anything That Can Go Wrong Will Go Wrong" Murphy is a live and well. When you least expect him - expect him. Bummer!

OK, I'll re-write the review. The horn is worth the effort:

I finally got to play this saxophone tonight. I played a concert with Frank
    Sinatra Jr. and the lead alto player, Mike Smith, formerly with Keilwerth, let
    me try his new Powell. Here's the story:

The Silver Eagle is constructed much like a King Super-20. Non-ribbed
    construction, brazed (not soldered) tone holes, but the tone holes can be either
    brass or solid silver. King style pivot screws with locknuts. G key is on the
    same hinge rod as left hand A, B and C keys.

Differences are, seamless neck, seamless body (straight part), better bracing on
    the neck, different main body-to-bell bracing, right hand D,E,F,F# keys rotated
    to the right like Selmer and other modern saxes, and the blowing characteristics
    are different than a King alto.

Keywork was immediately comfortable for me (I play an early Mark VI alto.) I
    think the sound is brighter than a King, but it has more depth than a Selmer,
    even tho my Selmer is unusually good. Low register is much easier than a Selmer.
    I love the Powell's sound.

I tried the Powell with 4 mouthpieces - A New York Meyer 6 M, a Meyer New York
    USA 7 small chamber, A morgan Jazz 8, and a high baffle Lakey 7*3.

What really blew me away was the intonation. It was incredibly good with every
    mouthpiece, the best pitch I have ever seen. I was simply amazed.

Forum Contributor 2012

I will keep my Redux short...and gosh, since I am getting a second chance and the other one IS gone forever, I'll even leave out some of the expletives I had leveled at Saxtek in the earlier one.

I believe another member next chimed in and asked how expensive they were.

Then someone else said $9000.

Then Milandro chimed in and linked to the thread of about 7 months ago which specified they are gonna run about $11,000 retail...which he thought was absurd and reprehensible (paraphrasing, of course).

I then chimed in and said that the price didn't bother me IF Blessing/Powell's ultimate intent was to really keep making saxes back here on u.s. soil, like the good 'ol days. I was really happy to hear that this domestic endeavor actually produced something good. IMHO, as long as they expand their offerings to include a model which would be feasible to purchase by the other 99% of us plebes...eventually...maybe...then starting off with an uber-boutique model to get some Buzz seemed reasonable to me.

Then I said something to the effect of "why does everyone compare the sound of this or that sax to a selmer VI ? There are, and always have been, better sounding saxes than the VI".

And ...if memory serves...that was that....

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

No, Jaye, you remember something that I didn’t write! :tsk:

I didn’t think it was absurd.......... someone had said it must have been in the 7-8000$ (it is a lot more) range and I corrected that impression with facts. The price on Thomann. about 11,000$.

http://www.thomann.de/it/powell_silver_eagle_silver.htm

Also someone commentend that it would be the same price as a Selmer alto, and I said that it was a lot more, do your math, it is a lot more even for the Brass one!

http://www.thomann.de/it/powell_silver_eagle_brass.htm

Then someone commented that Selmer has an expensive solid silver alto, and I said that that (and I posted the price at Kessler) is sold for less than 10.000$ (although you can find it elsewhere for more but they are often found on “ special offer” because they don’t sell all that well) and it has a complete solid silver body. While this has only bell, neck and toneholes. But yes, Thomann has it for sale for more (while may others have it for less!)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/selmer_alto_saxophones.html

http://www.kesslermusic.com/SelmerPa...eeSterling.htm
    http://www.donmack.com/woodwind/saxo...e-solid-silver

Limited though it might be , there will be a market and that I doubt that it could be costing less than that because of the limitation of its price-appeal, reducing the price wouldn’t necessarily increase the sales.

I'm not qualified to say, but I think list prices are $8,000 to $10,000. Don't look for big discounts, but the Powell is not much more than a Selmer, and there is a lot of precious metal involved. Also, the saxophone is 100% American made. Only the pads are made in Italy, from what i've heard.

The seamless body and neck are true innovations. And for whatever reason, for me, this is the best saxophone ever made, better than a Super-20, better than a Selmer Paris of any kind, and certainly better than the many Chinese saxophones, some of which are very good. The keywork is bomb-proof and super strong, the instrument is produced by a company that charges $20,000 or more for a flute that probably has no more silver in it than the saxophone.

Mike Smith, formerly with Keilwerth, is the artist/advisor to the Powell company. He was the lead alto player for Frank Sinatra for years, and his intonation and dynamic range are world-class. You want a guy like Mike to oversee the project, because he doesn't concentrate on one aspect of the instrument. It has to do everything well.

In some cases, it looks like it's actually LESS than a Selmer, if you buy the "Jubilee" from the WWBW. I like a company willing to give some Americans work instead of the norm of sending it all overseas because it costs less. Hopefully, I'll get to try one someday. But in the meantime, I'll have to settle for either my Raven or my Voodoo Rex.
    Selmer Mark VI tenors (85k and 223k), 10MFAN "Robusto" and "The Boss" (both are 8*), Saxgourmet "Voodoo Rex" alto, Beechler Diamond Dot mouthpiece

this horn will be in a market segment of its own, shared by very few other horns , like the Inderbinen one (not even made of precious metals and with, allegedly, Yamaha keywork)

http://www.inderbinen.com/Page_e/SaxAlto_e.html

A ultra boutique production which probably suits the productive capability of a horn which must take a very long time to make.

Maybe some Category Five owners will get these.
    Selmer Mark VI tenors (85k and 223k), 10MFAN "Robusto" and "The Boss" (both are 8*), Saxgourmet "Voodoo Rex" alto, Beechler Diamond Dot mouthpiece

Oh yes, I forgot that one! Although for the time being it is only in tenor.

Distinguished SOTW Member Aldevis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saxtek View Post
    Also, the saxophone is 100% American made. Only the pads are made in Italy, from what i've heard.
    I understand the different manufacturing cost,but what should convince me to pay more for geography? Is France worst than America sax-wise and Italy better than America pad-wise meaning that ANY Italian made pad is amazing (and all Italians are classy latin lovers that eat pasta)?

The seamless body and neck are true innovations.
    I thought that almost every Taiwan made horn uses seamless technology, but I might be wrong.

the instrument is produced by a company that charges $20,000 or more for a flute that probably has no more silver in it than the saxophone.
    The metal for a saxophone made ENTIRELY in silver (including keywork) would "only" cost about $2000-$4000 (assuming an average weight of 4kg).
    I guess material is not the biggest issue.

I am really curious about the instrument, but the price will really put me off from even trying, it if I had the oportunity.
    Last edited by Aldevis; 07-15-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: adding a comma

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Oh yes, I forgot that one! Although for the time being it is only in tenor.
    Exactly, and if you're enough of a high roller to have a Cat Five, the Powell alto could be your alto, no problem!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast