Sax on the Web Forum banner

My New Baby :)

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  HornForHire 
#1 ·
Hello SotW,
I finally got my new tenor back from the shop Monday and had a fair bit of time to spend with it.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1067...s/5764416103200287857?authkey=CLjN_v2nhceElAE

I'm rather excited about this horn. Made in 1961; 91xxx. Overhauled and relacquered in 1970, and sadly the owner died later in 1970. It has a lot of original paperwork I could scan if anyone has any interest in that sort of thing, but I imagine there's some out on the web now already.

Might post a sound clip this evening or tomorrow for some critiques, but I need to experiment with some mouthpieces too.

-Bubba-

#12 ·
It came with an old Brilhart Tonalin, in a "Faberge Men's Lotion" box. It was stuffed into an Alto Mouthpiece cap. Two old ligatures, a stand-light.
The case had been sitting since '70.

I had it setup by my guy up here. It's been 5 days, and I finally had something mess with me. There's a rather annoying click on my Bb Side key. It seems to be right here... https://plus.google.com/photos/1067...s/5764416103200287857?authkey=CLjN_v2nhceElAE (Last photo)

-Bubba-

#8 ·
I'm rather excited about this horn. Made in 1961...
Selmer has made a lot of changes since then - I hope that you're OK with playing an older model.

Mouthpieces: Your horn likely came with a Soloist in the case - maybe a MouthpieceCafe Espresso? Then there is the classic pairing of Selmer/Link - that's a whole 'nother bag.

What's that? Did I hear someone say FocusTone?

Enjoy the horn and the mouthpiece quest.

#14 ·
there should be either a plastic tube or shrink wrap or a piece of thin felt glued around that shaft that goes into the hook..should be little to no play in there, even just temporarily wrap a piece of electrical tape around it

#15 ·
That's the classic Mk VI rattle. The side Bb click is more ubiquitous.

There you have it, Bubba. Now it's up to you to determine whether it's a click or rattle and from whence it comes.

Get to know your horn (or your tech).

#18 ·
Well... I'm just dealing with it currently. I'll look harder at what exactly it is later this evening. I've been doing a lot of shedding on two/three classical pieces on alto. (actually... I've got a glorious reed right now.) And just use the tenor as a break from the craziness with the omnibook.

She sure is purty :mrgreen:
Thank you, sir!

-Bubba-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.