Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Conn 10m Mouthpiece

Hi everyone,
    I just got a 1948 Conn 10m "Naked Lady" Tenor. It's a beautiful horn, but it plays quite a bit sharp with my current mouthpiece. anyone who has a 10m have a mouthpiece that they particularly like the sound of? I currently use a Meyer 8M Hard rubber mouthpiece, which I love the sound of when it's in tune.
    Thanks

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Default Re: Conn 10m Mouthpiece

I get great sounds from Morgans (M, L, J series), metal Link STMs, any of the various Brilhart products (many players' favorites on the 10M back in the day), an old nickel-plated Dukoff D, and an even older Trump Toots Mondello Swing Club piece opened to about .095".

My 10M is silver-plated, with rolled holes, and dates to 1946.
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

If you like the sound of your meyer 8M you should try a Meyer with a larger chamber. A larger chamber will help pull it into tune. I'm not sure how large the chambers of the metal meyers are, but you could try one of those too (I have one laying around somewhere..).

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

I have had Martins that play sharp like your Conn. For me the Meyer was the best but you may want to try anything you can find.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to try some of the mouthpieces you suggested. I tried a metal Link with a size 7 opening just this morning. Has anyone else had the tuning issue with a Conn?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007 Peterogping's Avatar

It is well known that Conn's need large chamber mouthpieces to play in tune. A Berg Larsen with a 3 chamber for instance.
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft, ARB HR 5* mpc, Charles Bay lig.
    Alto: King Marigaux, MC Gregory Master 5A 18M mpc., Charles Bay ligature / Pierret Super Artiste, Otto Link "Master Link" #3 mpc, Charles Bay soprano lig.
    Tenor: King Zephyr Military 265xxx, Dukoff Fluted Chamber 5* HR, Charles Bay ligature / Brilhart Streamline Tonalin (Great Neck) #4, Charles Bay lig.

I've heard of so called tuning issues with Conn's perticuarly 10m's but like most things you reed on the internet, complete Bull Shite.

Morgan Fry (renowned mouthpiece maker) tells me that large chamber mouthpieces are better suited to 10m's, as mentioned above. I have a hard rubber mouthpiece he created specially for my Conn, which works excellently. I can also highly recommend a Mouthpiece Cafe Primo, made by Brian Powell. Check either of these guys websites out for info and to hear clips. Dexter used a Hollywood Dukoff, which also works terrifically. This is a metal option and hard to find good examples of - 10mfan sometimes has them.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor

I've tried several mouthpieces that work on my 1936 10M --Tenney Jazzmaster, Broadus perfected, Hite artist, Berg 2 chamber, metal Link. But I keep returning to a Tenney Link Tone Edge 7. It gives me the sound I want and the tuning is a little less work. If you check other threads on 10Ms, you'll find players using a wide variety of pieces.
    "Humanity i love you because when you're hard up you pawn your intelligence to buy a drink ..." e.e. cummings

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

I've had several 10Ms. The reason I switched from MKVi was for the solid intonation.

What I don't understand is you say it plays sharp. If if it's just playing sharp, you either relax your embouchure or pull the mouthpiece off a little.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

I had tuning problems on 10M but not with a NY Otto Link . That was a great match. Large chamber will be best.

Distinguished SOTW Member Honeyboy's Avatar

I have no real issues with a 7* NY STM Link and even BETTER tuning with a 130/2 Berg, which isn't really a large chambered mouthpiece. My horn is a '36 10M.
    11th Commandment: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's axe.

Distinguished SOTW Member

this issue is well known on the 10m. i extended my neck to solve it . i now can use any mpc i want -even high baff small chamber. there is only so far you can pull out before the mpc falls off.
    runyon mouthpeices-no need to look elsewhere

I play a Vandoren V16 HR on my mid 60's 10m and the intonation seems fine....

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

If it just sharp all of the time and you find a mouthpiece you really like but it falls off the end, have the mouthpiece lengthened. I did that on my Sopranino and it is great, no wobble.

You must be very careful with extending the neck as this will change the internal intonation of the whole instrument - it certainly did when I had it done to my Conn 12m baritone. I had the operation reversed and then a removable extension shank made for my mouthpiece (Link STM) and this seemed to do the trick much better. Of course if the mouthpiece is loose near the end of the cork the first thing to do would be to get the neck recorked so it's fits nice and snug. That might suffice.

[QUOTE=super20dan;1903378]
    extended my neck to solve it . i now can use any mpc i want -even high baff small chamber.
    Extended your neck?? whats that, like a sort of trick move like circular breathing? how do you do that?I'vee just being trying but mine sort of stays the samelengthh though i can understand that if you can extend it you could in fact be a bit less sharp, just relax your embouchure, should get the same results.....

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by daveohig View Post
    morgan fry (renowned mouthpiece maker) tells me that large chamber mouthpieces are better suited to 10m's, as mentioned above. I have a hard rubber mouthpiece he created specially for my conn, which works excellently. I can also highly recommend a mouthpiece cafe primo, made by brian powell. Check either of these guys websites out for info and to hear clips. Dexter used a hollywood dukoff, which also works terrifically. This is a metal option and hard to find good examples of - 10mfan sometimes has them.
    Hi Dave!!!

Hope you are well. Great to see you here on sotw. Please send your wife my best.
    I hope you are enjoying the mpcs!

For all of you who havent heard Dave---you must! Terrific player with an incredible sound!!!!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

[QUOTE=kingsax;1903475]
    Quote Originally Posted by super20dan View Post
    Extended your neck?? whats that, like a sort of trick move like circular breathing? how do you do that?I'vee just being trying but mine sort of stays the samelengthh though i can understand that if you can extend it you could in fact be a bit less sharp, just relax your embouchure, should get the same results.....
    this is a leg pull, yes? a neck extension means this:
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast