P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: RSR Vintage for $865???

Default RSR Vintage for $865???

Just come across these on e-bay, RSR Vintage tenor, not sure of the origin but would guess Chinese going by those bright red pads? but at $865 got to be worth a shot?
    Alto: King super 20 Silversonic 1961.
    Tenor:Selmer Reference 54 matt finish.
    An ex inmate of Bedlam. Now playing with Leicester & Hinckley Sub-Ska Legends The Splitters.

Forum Contributor 2012 swperry1's Avatar

Default Re: RSR Vintage for $865???

Don't know. I took a chance on one of his bari mouthpieces, and it was fine. Not my thing, but good quality. Don't know if that translates to the quality of his horns though.

I don't know either, but if he has a return policy it might be worth checking out. I've seen him and some other guys playing these in the vidoes he posts, and they don't sound too bad. But that's them, so you should take that with a grain of salt. However, for $800 to $900, I'd probably wait for a Yamaha YTS 61 to come along.

Yeah, but at $800 should be a good back up sax for someone, I'm more interested in the quality though and would very much doubt their in the same league as a Barone, Kessler or Macsax....but there again i could be wrong and this price could just be his introductory price to get folks interested before he up's it once he's established??? could be a right bargain...i'm very tempted!
    An ex inmate of Bedlam. Now playing with Leicester & Hinckley Sub-Ska Legends The Splitters.

I wish you good success. I hope whatever you choose works out well for you!!

Jeff

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

"At $865 worth a shot ?".....

....implies that $865 is a GOOD price for a completely obscure new (asian-made) budget Tenor sax......

....also implies that it is a GOOD price for a Tenor, period.

Both of those assumptions are so full of pitfalls, I wouldn't know where to begin.

$900 can get you a pro horn (not new). Why would you spend that dolla' on a complete unknown ?

You can get a Yama 23 in playing shape for $500, a late Jupiter for about the same, then there are Kesslers and BW's, then a slew of pre-'90's horns.

If you want a new Tenor and wanna minimize your risks, go for something like a Jupe, Barone, Kessler, or BW...or maybe the brands which Ptung sells here. You'll have to spend a few hundred more to get 'em new.

Buy a known and reputed commodity, that has gotten at least some good feedback here. Otherwise you are just rolling the dice. And rolling the dice on $900....isn't a small roll.

Best of luck.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    "At $865 worth a shot ?".....

....implies that $865 is a GOOD price for a completely obscure new (asian-made) budget Tenor sax......

....also implies that it is a GOOD price for a Tenor, period.

Both of those assumptions are so full of pitfalls, I wouldn't know where to begin.

$900 can get you a pro horn (not new). Why would you spend that dolla' on a complete unknown ?

You can get a Yama 23 in playing shape for $500, a late Jupiter for about the same, then there are Kesslers and BW's, then a slew of pre-'90's horns.

If you want a new Tenor and wanna minimize your risks, go for something like a Jupe, Barone, Kessler, or BW...or maybe the brands which Ptung sells here. You'll have to spend a few hundred more to get 'em new.

Buy a known and reputed commodity, that has gotten at least some good feedback here. Otherwise you are just rolling the dice. And rolling the dice on $900....isn't a small roll.

Best of luck.
    +1 In this depressed used market, you could get a much more known commodity for that price.
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

OK, a bit of an unknown quantity then, but guess that if they were produced in the same factory in Taiwan as all the other brands, quite a feasible proposition?

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kingsax View Post
    OK, a bit of an unknown quantity then, but guess that if they were produced in the same factory in Taiwan as all the other brands, quite a feasible proposition?
    They are made in China and sold by Richard Ross who frankly is a no BS kind of seller.

He does not hide the fact that these are made where they are and is one of the few eBay sellers who actually will honor his return policy.

I have played his saxes and bass clarinet and think they are very nice.

Might be worth a trial anyway. You have to play any horn before you decide whether it be new or used.

I say go for it.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

As folks say, there are differences in various contemporary off-name brands (i.e. they aren't all crap). The only way to really tell, though, is to try one....
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

[QUOTE=JayePDX;1910614]
    The only way to really tell, though, is to try one....
    You may think it plays fine, which is great short term, but what of 5-10-15 years down the road? be interesting to see in 65 years time if they're still holding up like my 10m, unfortunately i wont be around to find out..(or if that documentary i saw the other night is anything to go by then maybe i will??).

I wanted to convey my recent experience with Richard Ross over at RSR Winds. I was looking for a inexpensive Tenor Sax to save my Selmer SBA from any more use and abuse and saw the RSR Tenors on eBay. I began sending Rich questions and after numerous emails and months of listening and contemplating, decided on the Elite Tenor. Upon receiving it I quickly unboxed it and gave it a test. Played fairly easily and sounded good so I recorded myself playing with an Abersold track. When I listened back I was pleasantly surprised that it sounded pretty good. I then began recording myself with some oldies like "Harlem Nocturne" , "Honky Tonk", and "Walking with Mr. Lee". The outcome for these wasn't as pleasant. Seemed the Elite for my tastes was better suited for Jazz. I was using a HR Berg Larsen 115/2 MPC with 2.5 reed. Around the same time a spring had come loose and I emailed Rich. He replied to take the horn to my repairman and send him the bill or return the horn. Since I wasn't in love with the horn, I returned it. Upon receiving it, Rich issued a full refund. Because of Rich's patience (with all my questions) and his integrity, I would recommend RSR to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieC View Post
    Since I wasn't in love with the horn, I returned it. Upon receiving it, Rich issued a full refund. Because of Rich's patience (with all my questions) and his integrity, I would recommend RSR to anyone.
    Spring came off amd jumped at the chance to return it doesn't sound like a glowing review.
    Maybe he would have been better off if you hadn't said anything.