Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Light vs. Dark Rovner ligature

hi folks anyone had any experience using Rovners light and dark ligature? how do they differ from each other?

TIA

Default Re: Light vs. Dark Rovner ligature

I've been using nothing but Rovner ligs for years. They are excellent. In my experience, I find absolutely no difference between the Light and Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by pumseig View Post
    I've been using nothing but Rovner ligs for years. They are excellent. In my experience, I find absolutely no difference between the Light and Dark.
    My experience has been different. The "light" for me, often had a more "open", "lighter" tone while the dark had a more focused sound. That was just my perception. The mouthpiece I used determined which ligature I used.
    Alto-MKVI Theo Wanne Durga, Kali, Gaia pieces, Tenor-MKVI w/ Theo Wanne Durga, Gaia, & AMMA II pieces, Soprano-Selmer S-80II Black Laq w/ Theo Wanne Gaia. ALso EWI 4000s w/ various modules.

I prefer the light. The dark can muffle the sound slightly.

this is actually my solution to a really trebly legere studio cut synthetic reed. I just got the reed from the mail yesterday and it sounded great but its too bright for my taste so i kinda neede something that would "muffle" the sound a bit to give it that warmer and fatter tone. I used a piece of leather on my 3$ ligature as a temporary solution. is it safe to say that either way im getting a good quality ligature?

btw im using a bari espri mpc

Quote Originally Posted by moonriver View Post
    I used a piece of leather on my 3$ ligature as a temporary solution. is it safe to say that either way im getting a good quality ligature?
    When it comes to ligatures, what works for you is what works. For some people that's a $70 piece of brass and for others it's the El cheapo double band special. If you like the sound and response you get from it I'd say that it's fine.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

is it safe to say that either way im getting a good quality ligature?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Laughlin View Post
    is it safe to say that either way im getting a good quality ligature?
    No.
    my experience has been different. I haven't done much comparison with other ligatures, so I can't say Rovners are better. But I've been using Rovners for a dozen or more years and they always allow me to get the sound I want.

Buck most likely has a lot more playing experience than I do, so you probably need to take that into account when comparing our different points of view.

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Rondalo View Post
    Buck most likely has a lot more playing experience than I do, so you probably need to take that into account when comparing our different points of view.
    Not necessarily. Some people really like them, and experience level doesn't seem to be a factor. The OP might end up loving the Rovners -- I just don't think it's "safe" to assume that he will find them to be "good quality ligatures." I know that I don't, and that's all I can really speak to.

And by the way, don't sell yourself short -- your opinion counts just as much as anyone else's!

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

hi folks anyone had any experience using Rovners light and dark ligature? how do they differ from each other?
    They don't differ (in sound and/or response), at least they don't differ when I play them on my mouthpieces. Some people find they do differ, but they are not me, nor are they playing the same mouthpieces probably.

I think it probably is safe to say you are getting a good quality ligature, whether it suits you or not.

just got the ligature from the mail today and my god...made me sound really expensive. the tone was more balanced and the intonation is spot on. Kinda easie to control bends and slurs.

bassclarryguy

I just got the rovner dark yesterday for my tenor and i see a improvement with my low notes. I heard some people (including myself) have trouble with the rovners because of muffled sound. I figured out that the ligature was to high up so i moved it down to the bottom and no more muffled sounds. Also, every mouthpiece is different so you have to experiment with the ligature (tightening it, loosening it, breaking it in, oiling it or lubricating). On the manual, i think it said to oil and lubricate it or it will give you a damper muffled tone.

I just bought a Rovner Versa, a good choice I think to check out different sounds. It has 6 different setups, each with a slightly different sound characteristic. I love this thing ... it's lightyears ahead of the cheap metal one that came with my sax. My sound is bigger and warmer and the instrument plays a whale of a lot easier with the Rovner.

The different little metal inserts and the way you can adjust to put a fabric "flap" over the metal changes the sound ... it's darker with the flaps, brighter on the metal. Any way you set it up it makes a very free blowing experience (I'm still on the Yamaha 4C).

Turtle

Both pieces I got from Peter Ponzol came with Rovners. I've read here that he prefers them. I think I hear differences between light and dark (and basic 2 screw metal) while I'm playing them, but when listening to playback of what I record, it gets pretty subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by rzzzzz View Post
    Both pieces I got from Peter Ponzol came with Rovners. I've read here that he prefers them.
    Interesting that some mouthpiece makers like Rovners. Ed Pillinger also likes them (as well as the cheap copies by Faxx).

I think this is because they appreciate that a fabric ligature always works, it always holds the reed well, whereas metal ones only work 100% if they are not distorted, broken or a bad fit.

Or possibly, it's also because Pillinger & Ponzol know their mouthpieces have flat tables. Some mouthpieces with concave or otherwise distorted tables may well respond differently to different ligatures and/or ligature placement or screw tightness.

Pete, I use a Rovner dark for the Onyxite 7* I got from you. I played around with a generic metal lig on it, but no use fighting with what works. (Also, thanks for the Legere suggestion.)

Forum Contributor 2013

Not enough difference between the two to really notice.

The Eddie Daniels Rovner is very good. I used the light on many different mouthpieces for years and it wasn't until I switched that I noticed how much it was effecting my sound.
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vandoren Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundcloud.com/seanwintersax All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Interesting that some mouthpiece makers like Rovners. Ed Pillinger also likes them (as well as the cheap copies by Faxx).
    Do they like them, or do they include them with their mouthpieces because they are relatively inexpensive (keeping costs down) but look and feel as though they are better quality ligs than the cheap, flimsy metal two-screw ligs that usually come included with mouthpieces (e.g., Barone, Otto Link HR, etc.)? In other words, if cost were not a factor, would they still choose to include these Rovners with their mouthpieces? Also, it could be that no better quality ligs currently being made will fit well on the unique mouthpieces they are producing.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that JodyJazz used to include Rovner Darks, but then switched to Rico-Hs after they came out on the market at a relatively inexpensive price.

Do they like them, or do they include them with their mouthpieces because they are relatively inexpensive (keeping costs down) but look and feel as though they are better quality ligs than the cheap, flimsy metal two-screw ligs that usually come included with mouthpieces (e.g., Barone, Otto Link HR, etc.)?
    I can't speak for peter Ponzol, but I don'tb think Ed includes ligatures with his mouthpieces. he just recommended to me that if in doubt, tell a customer to use a Faxx because they fit like Rovners. They actually look pretty cheap, so I doubt it's for the reasons you state. I've tried thousand, well, lots of ligs in my search to find ones I can recommend to fit my mouthpieces, and in my experience that Faxx are as good as anything.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that JodyJazz used to include Rovner Darks, but then switched to Rico-Hs after they came out on the market at a relatively inexpensive price.
    So presumably Jody must think Rovner darks are OK enough to include. But the Rico Hs do look better with his DVs I must say.

Forum Contributor 2014

My Warburton LA came with a Rovner Light; I really didn't like the way it looked on the mouthpiece, even though I'm not usually that fussy about my horn's appearance (or my own, either). I slapped an old (discontinued) Rovner EVO on it and I felt better. But I really couldn't tell any difference between the two as far as sound or response.
    Yamaha TS62 - Warburton LA; P. Mauriat 66R - Sakshama FL; Legeres
    Vito (Beaugnier) Baritone/HR Berg 105/1/M
    Buffet Greenline Clarinet; Yamaha 221-II Bass Clarinet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast