Antigua Winds

Default New CE Winds Studio Series Professional Alto & Tenor Saxophones

Just released today on our Facebook page, the new CE Winds Studio Series Alto & Tenor Saxophones!

These are the same quality overall (handmade in Taiwan - regulated in the U.S.) as our CE Winds Pro Series instruments, but they are made with a premium Brass Alloy, where our Pro Series is made with a patented Copper Alloy.

These saxes are a great combination, each with an awesome sound, stunning looks, and low price. Check them out and let us know what you think!

CE Winds Studio Series Hollywood Edition Professional Alto Saxophone
    CE Winds Studio Series Hollywood Edition Professional Tenor Saxophone
    CE Winds Studio Series New York Edition Professional Alto Saxophone
    CE Winds Studio Series New York Edition Professional Tenor Saxophone
    CE Winds Studio Series Miami Edition Professional Alto Saxophone
    CE Winds Studio Series Miami Edition Professional Tenor Saxophone

We will have video/audio clips on our website and YouTube very soon!

Thank you for looking!

Brian S
    CE Winds
    904-996-9312
    info@cewinds.com
    Releasing a New Sound! www.cewinds.com
    CE Winds Featured Artists John Michalak, Carl Cox, Jacin Nagao, Evan Dowling, Mike Smith (UK), Mike Gibilisco, Craig Christman, James Archer, Jeff Frazier, Daniel Klimoski, Jason Thompson, Isaiah Katumwa (Africa)

Default Re: New CE Winds Studio Series Professional Alto & Tenor Saxophones

Quote Originally Posted by CE Winds View Post
    ... where our Pro Series is made with a patented Copper Alloy.
    What alloy would that be? Are there copper alloys that are patented for musical instruments?
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Forum Contributor 2008 markwigginton's Avatar

Yes, the alloy used for the Pro Series Copper horns is a patented alloy. This is not a new statement from CE Winds but something that has been advertised from the inception of the Pro Series copper alloy horns. The original Pro Series horns were a premium brass but soon the Pro Series Copper alloy line was developed and the first saxes released were the Dark Vintage, Dark Satan, and Dark Classic models... the "Dark" referring to the darkness and richness that the copper brings to the table. The Pro Series Copper alloy gives a greater presence to the sax, more resonance, and a nice deep core to the tone.. which many acclaim to be as close to the marvelous tone of the vintage golden era Selmers. The most recent professional saxophone customer of the DSV (Dark Super Vintage) model said it sounded almost identical to his Selmer Balanced Action tenor, felt better in his hands, and was more responsive... and that it was the best playing Taiwanese tenor he has owned, and he attested that he has tried most of the major Taiwanese brands.

I have played both the Pro Series, and Studio Series extensively and I don't feel the Pro Series Copper alloy is necessarily a better alloy, but it just gives a different feel and tone... definitely more spread in the tone.. even on the more focused models.

I personally could play which ever CE Winds saxophone that I want to play.. and I choose to play a silver plated brass model, which is based solely upon the ensemble that I play in. If I were a solo player in a jazz trio, then I would probably switch to a copper alloy, but the brass alloy gives me the tone and projection that I need.

With that being said, the Studio Series offers three very distinct sounds, looks and feels at prices that are truly unbelievable. When Brian (from CE Winds) told me the prices that they were going to be selling for, my jaw literally dropped.

Thanks for your comment Dr. G, always good to hear from someone of your expertise!

Quote Originally Posted by markwigginton View Post
    Yes, the alloy used for the Pro Series Copper horns is a patented alloy.
    Thanks, Mark. I'm still interested to learn what alloy it is and whether it is horn-specific. As I understand patents, if it is a patented alloy, you are free to reveal its patent name because anyone else that uses it will have to observe your patent rights. If it is "proprietary", that's a different thing.

Anyhow, this would be a first to me to learn of an alloy whose composition is dedicated to use in musical instruments. If you have the patent info, please let me know either here or via PM as I enjoy sharing such tidbits when teaching metallurgy courses.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Quote Originally Posted by markwigginton View Post
    Yes, the alloy used for the Pro Series Copper horns is a patented alloy. This is not a new statement from CE Winds but something that has been advertised from the inception of the Pro Series copper alloy horns. The original Pro Series horns were a premium brass but soon the Pro Series Copper alloy line was developed and the first saxes released were the Dark Vintage, Dark Satan, and Dark Classic models...
    Wow, sign me up for a "Dark Satan" model!
    Horns: 1951 Selmer SBA Tenor, Handmade Guardala MBI; CE Winds Artist Series DS Baritone, Dukoff D7; CE Winds Omega Curved Soprano, Barone Vintage HR, Akai EWI 4000S

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ekdowlin View Post
    Wow, sign me up for a "Dark Satan" model!
    That one costs you your soul to own . . .

Dark Satan. HA!

NO 'RELIGIOUS' POSTS ALLOWED!
    CE Winds Featured Artists John Michalak, Carl Cox, Jacin Nagao, Evan Dowling, Mike Smith (UK), Mike Gibilisco, Craig Christman, James Archer, Jeff Frazier, Daniel Klimoski, Jason Thompson, Isaiah Katumwa (Africa)

Evan, come by Thursday or next week. Ill be at the showroom in Ft Myers. Love for you to test them out.

Forum Contributor 2008 markwigginton's Avatar

Dr G,
    We will be happy to share any information that we can... I'll get back to you soon on the topic. Sorry for the Satan typo... It was not intentional... In fact it's not the first time that has happened with the saxes. I remember the first order of Dark Satin saxes were accidentally all labeled with "dark Satan" in large print on the outside of each box. A tech who was working on the instruments was new to our company and cautiously approached me one day and asked," you guys are Christians right??" I assured him that yes we are Christians.. I thought maybe this was his attempt at reaching out for help or possibly letting me know that he too was a Christian... I was shocked when he then responded, " so what's up with the Satan horns?? Why would you guys make models like that?". I was still unaware of what he was referring to... And it was not until we walked over to the boxes in question and he pointed out the "Dark Satan" labels on the outside of the boxes!! It was hilarious!!! We laughed about it for quite some time.

I just got my 'Miami' edition alto today; only had a little bit of time to play around with it before my gig (playing tenor...Bah! lol) but from what I have experienced so far, am absolutly impressed. Very responsive though the registers, has a nice light and quick action and very comfy under the fingers. Since I am currently on the road, I am looking forward to putting the horn through the paces on a number of upcoming gigs.

Congrats on the new horns!!!

Alto- CE Winds DSV/Scroll Shank C* with Phil-Tone reface
    Tenor- CE Winds 'Miami' Studio Edition/ Phil-Tone Equinox