Sax on the Web Forum banner

G7???

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Pete Thomas 
#1 ·
I know there's G1 and G2, and i thought G3 would be a note in the alitissimo register, but what the heck does G7 and all those all those other high letter+number combinations mean?

#4 ·
Are you sure you are talking about a note/pitch name or a chord name?

I think you may be getting confused with chord names. For beginners guide to chords see:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/jazz-theory-beginners.html

If you mean the note six octaves above G1, then this is a very high altissimo note indeed, though there are different systems for note/pitch names

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation

So it's not just the system you see here often whereby G1 is in the lower register of the saxophone.

#7 ·
Yes, we need to know in what context the term "G7" was used. If it's referring to the 6th octave above the lowest G on the sax, that's not just altissimo, that may be beyond the hearing range of dogs. But a G7 chord is very common.

#8 ·
I think Pete Thomas hit the nail on the head haha.
I was getting mixed up between notes and chords!
I'm new to all this so i was thinking "Holy... that's some crazy altissimo!" but i believe i was reading about chords when i saw "G7" in context.
The link that was posted about chords was really useful by the way, thanks!

#9 ·
I think Pete Thomas hit the nail on the head haha.
I was getting mixed up between notes and chords!
Thought so. At these early stages, if you are intersted, don't worry about the numbers until you have leant the basic 3 note chords without the numbers. The numbers refer to notes added to the basic chords.

So after you've learnt the 3 note chords (AKA triads) the ones with 7 after them are useful, these are 4 note chords. After that it gets into advanced realms of upper extensions.

My current book is on basic chord and impro learning, I'm right in the middle of writing it, but that sort of explains right from the start for beginners. Until then the PDF explains the basics.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.