P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Garage sale find- Silvertone Tenor

Default Garage sale find- Silvertone Tenor

I just graduated from college with a Bachelor of Music Ed. My primary instrument, ever since middle school, is baritone sax, so naturally I own two (a B&S 1000 and a Mark VI low A). I have never played tenor, so I was out browsing garage sales for cheap instruments and I came across this tenor. I know its a Buescher stencil, but I couldn't pass up the price (wanted $100, negotiated $80). Several pads are pretty trashed and it lacked a mouthpiece, but I placed my alto mouthpiece on it and I was able to get a powerful sound from top to bottom, including altissimo range (which I have trouble on alto with). My repairman said he can give it a "bandaide" for $40, which is replacing the worst pads and giving it an adjustment. Is it worth totally fixing up? I know I already love it, but I'm not sure if I'd just be sinking money into something.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Garage sale find- Silvertone Tenor

Yes,

Some of these made in the 1950's are very close to the Aristocrat from the same era. And many are superior to Buescher's secondary Elkhart line. For $80, you could easy spend $200 to $300 on repair work and still come out ahead.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

Forum Contributor 2012

Not all Silvertones were Bueschers. Some were Kohlerts and some were Hammerschmidts.

But if it is a Buescher, it's a 30A or some tweak thereof, and they are good horns. Quite honestly...if you have the $, regardless of which of the 3 makers it belongs to; have your tech do more work than that. In good condition these all have a market value of around $500....so if you put $200-300 into it, as EV says.....I bet it'd perform significantly better than the $40 M*A*S*H* repair would make it play.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

I might have a similar tenor to yours (hard to say without the pictures). What is the serial number on your Silvertone?
    Grassi low A bari (1976) Meyer 9M / Martin "The Martin" tenor (1951), OL vintage Tone Edge #7
    Martin "Indiana" alto (1954), Meyer 6M / Buffet Crampon "Continentale" Bb clarinet (1972), Vandoren V360

Here is the initial pic I took of it, I'll take more once I get it back. I believe the serial is 414297, and it looks identical to the other Buescher Silvertone's I've seen while doing research.

20120602161148.jpg

That would be a few years later than mine, given the serial number. Apart from the key guards, mine is very similar (I've seen at least one other with different key guards).

They are not worth very much, but mine is a solid player, and it makes a good backup sax.
    Grassi low A bari (1976) Meyer 9M / Martin "The Martin" tenor (1951), OL vintage Tone Edge #7
    Martin "Indiana" alto (1954), Meyer 6M / Buffet Crampon "Continentale" Bb clarinet (1972), Vandoren V360

Forum Contributor 2012

Yeah, it's a 30A, a pretty late one actually, from mid '60's......nice players. Definitely deserving of a couple of bill$ worth of repair....

Forum Contributor 2012

Have you gotten the horn back yet ? I am curious as to your impressions...

With the quick patch it plays very good, but I'm still taking it in to get a full repad. My tech is too busy with 7+ school districts instruments to get a full repad done right now, so I'm waiting till school starts up here. Anyone have any suggestions on a new case for it? The old case is actually in good condition, but I don't like how everything is so loose inside. I've been looking at either a Gator GC or Protec Contuer XL.

Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire Helen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    Not all Silvertones were Bueschers. Some were Kohlerts and some were Hammerschmidts.

FYI...I've also seen a couple of J.K.'s in the 20XXX serial number range. Left-sided bell keys, with metal key guards. They were built shortly after the company moved to Nauheim. (They're in my gallery under Julius Keilwerth > Stencils > Silvertone).
    One day the bass saxophone will make a comeback, and rule the earth
    Bassic Sax (The website) Just Your Bassic Blog (The weblog: part of the website, but updated daily) Bassic Sax Pix (Lots of pretty sax photos)

After comparing the Keilwerth and Buescher models, mine is definitely a Buescher stencil.

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    FYI...I've also seen a couple of J.K.'s in the 20XXX serial number range. Left-sided bell keys, with metal key guards. They were built shortly after the company moved to Nauheim. (They're in my gallery under Julius Keilwerth > Stencils > Silvertone).

Huh....'magine that !!!!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by vini88 View Post
    With the quick patch it plays very good, but I'm still taking it in to get a full repad. My tech is too busy with 7+ school districts instruments to get a full repad done right now, so I'm waiting till school starts up here. Anyone have any suggestions on a new case for it? The old case is actually in good condition, but I don't like how everything is so loose inside. I've been looking at either a Gator GC or Protec Contuer XL.
    I would suggest trying the Protec REGULAR contoured case. The XL (and the Gator) will probably be too big unless it has a big bell, which does not appear to be the case.
    The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way. - Bertrand Russell

So the vintage saxes with left bell keys fit in a regular case?

Quote Originally Posted by vini88 View Post
    So the vintage saxes with left bell keys fit in a regular case?
    There are a few threads on LH bell key cases, for example:

http://www.saxontheweb.net/SOTW_Arch...c-4610571.html

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...H-bell-keys%29
    Tenors: '44 10M, '69 Mk VI (newest addition!) + Florida STM 10 ... Altos: early '90s SX90, SilverSonic + Meyer 6 ... Sop: (pending) ... Bari: Zephyr
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Aw, c'mon. This is SotW! It's a proud tradition. Why DO something when you can talk about it instead?

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011

For ProTec, they should. I am 99% sure... Split key ones do, which is probably "worse" for fitting. In a metro area as big as yours, it should be a relatively simple matter to locate one locally and test for yourself. Buying it locally is a choice you will have to make. In my area it's about a $50 hit for buying local as opposed to online.
    The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way. - Bertrand Russell

Yeah, I try not to do too much business in Wichita, everything is way over priced. Living in Hutchinson, KS I try to keep as much of my business with the hometown folks rather than going to Wichita, but I do shop mostly online for big ticket items.

So I was finally able to get it in to my tech last week, he had been to busy with school orders. I picked it up today, I must say, my jaw dropped when playing it. This tenor is so free blowing and has a boisterous power behind it. I'm even using just a Chinese metal mouthpiece I got for cheap from ebay, and this sax sounds amazing! All in all, I paid $80 for the sax, and it cost about $350 for a whole repad and ultrasonic bath. I definitely love this sax!

I need some help identifying the manufacturer and approximate production date of this Silvertone tenor. The serial number is 112,023 which would seem to make it several years older than the 1960's horn discussed above. And as you can see, it has all brass keywork. The serial number is engraved in an arc like Buescher. Any help would be appreciated.ST 9.jpgST 10.jpgST 11.jpgST 12.jpg

Distinguished SOTW Member Stocker's Avatar

It's a Buescher (Elkhart 30A stencil), probably from 1958 or 1959.
    2001 Yamaha 23 tenor, 1963 King Zephyr tenor, 1957-ish Cleveland tenor, 1964 Conn 12M baritone
    1923 Conn New Wonder C-melody, 1925 Martin Handcraft alto, 1953 Martin Indiana alto
    1930s? Wurlitzer American (EBICo-Martin) C-melody, and a pile of cheap clarinets