Antigua Winds

Default Estimate for new sax set up

Just recently made the step up from a beginner horn to a SX90R and just wondering whats the average cost to get the horn set up by a tech. Thanks

Default Re: Estimate for new sax set up

Well that is a very open ended question, depending on what needs to be done, and who you have do the set up,
    I would guess in the $100-400 with somewhere near $150 what my local tech would charge.

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar

It depends a lot on the horn AND the tech. If it needs a lot of work (don't assume because it is new that it might not need a fair amount of work), it could take a few hours. If it doesn't (or if your tech just "gets it playing" vs. really going through it and fixing issues), it should be pretty quick and painless. I have had quite a few new horn set-ups in the last year and a half (I tried a lot of new horns). The cheapest was $40, the most was $300...most common was $100+/-. All by the same tech who is incredibly thorough. I would much rather pay a few extra bucks and get it done right instead of going cheap and being in for adjustments all the time.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Unless you have some specific and unusual needs, I would expect a good horn to take less than an hour, so whatever your tech's hourly rate is.

Albany, NY .. actually Chatham, NY ... but 'where is that??"

Recieved my Yammis soprano from the west coast ... brought it to my guy who had to fix a minor bend in a key which I caused moments after i received the horn, he reset a few of the lower pads that needed to be sealed, new neck cork and ran a light through the whole thing ... $100 it cost me ...but priceless service
    Tenor ..1973 Selmer Mark VI #211xxx .... RPC .115B ... Vandoren M/O lig ...
    Alto ...Yanagisawa A991 #320XXX....RPC .090B ... Vandoren M/O lig ....
    Sop.... CB Vintage Reborn .... RPC .080...... Brancher gold Lig ....

Forum Contributor 2014

Just had my new 82z set up for $25. It depends on what's needed. In my case it was primarily adjusting the springs and key heights.
    Selmer Mark VI tenor, Yamaha 82zUL tenor, Yamaha YAS62 alto, Yamaha YSS475 soprano, Cannonball Vintage Reborn soprano, Yamaha WX5 wind synthesizer, various blues harps (Louisiana saxes), ocarina, didgeridoo

Forum Contributor 2012
    Distinguished SOTW Technician

I take a full day to a day and a half and do all of this: http://stohrermusic.com/?page_id=60

You can definitely get away with less and some people don't set up their horns at all; that is just how I do it.
    matt stohrer

Stohrer Music - saxophone repairs - vintage horns for sale
    My Youtube Channel
    Let's be friends on Facebook!

All of this is just like, my opinion, man.