Antigua Winds

Default How to adjust key strength without spring tension

Hi guys,

Only just getting into some repair/maintenance work (complete newbie) and have run into my first problem!

Basically my low C# key opens up very easily with the slightest touch of the left pinkie, so I made the spring more resistant but this meant that the key didn't open up very quickly and kind of bounced when opening to make a wobbling sound.

So my question is, how do I make the C# key more resistant to pinkie pressure without adjusting the spring tension?

Default Re: How to adjust key strength without spring tension

Any reason you would want it to be more difficult to open? As long as there's enough tension on the spring to keep the key closed, I would just make an adjustment to the placement of your pinky.

You have to get the right amount of tension on the spring. Seems like you made the spring too weak. Bend it back a little and that should work.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

I was thinking the spring was too strong.........When you say the key didn't open up very quickly are you saying it was hard to press or that it opened slowly?

Sorry for being unclear.

The C# key on my horn opens up very easily which means it's very easy to bump and unintentionally open ever so slightly. I want to make this key more resistant so this does not happen but if I make the spring more resistant then the key doesn't open up properly so I was wondering if there is another way to adjust the resistance of the key?

I hope that's a bit more clearer!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

maybe you have something else that slows down your key opening properly because if that is not the case the spring adjustment is the best way to regulate this, I think, could it be that the post or rod is slightly bent therefore adding friction. Buy Stephen Howard’s manual.

Distiguished SOTW Tech

As Milandro said, check the mechanism first to make sure it is not binding in any way, then re-Check the pad so that it is perfectly seated on the tone hole and the tone hole is flat. If you un-spring the key and let gravity hold it down while you check it, you will know that the pad is sealing with very little force. Then check the left hand table (pinky keys) to see that they are all aligned properly so that you don't accidentally press the C# as you're playing.

On modern horns with a tilting spatula, the Bell keys have an extra mechanism for holding the C# closed when you play those notes. It would be a more complex mechanism to do something similar on your horn, but it could be done. Probably cheapest to make everything on the existing horn work as perfectly as possible.