P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: college auditions

Default college auditions

im quite interested in doing classical sax in college at USC. can anyone give me a general idea of how good I have to get in?

Default Re: college auditions

it doesn't matter how good you need to be, only how good you can be. the mentality i had when i got into my college was that i would never be good enough and i worked my butt off trying to prove myself wrong. it must have worked, because i made it in to the college i applied to (WPUNJ).

the bottom line of what i'm trying to say is this: keep your head down and keep running. don't worry about how far you need to be, just keep running as fast as you can. when it comes time to audition, give it all that you have and whatever happens, happens.
    "The Junior School trumpet line sounds like an autistic monkey in a metal trashcan being thrown down a set of concrete stairs into a bed of spikes."

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

Default Re: college auditions

Quote Originally Posted by Person056 View Post
    the bottom line of what i'm trying to say is this: keep your head down and keep running. don't worry about how far you need to be, just keep running as fast as you can. when it comes time to audition, give it all that you have and whatever happens, happens.
    I agree with this. There's no magic answer. If you're good enough, you're good enough, that's it. Asking how good you need to be and setting a bar is the wrong way to approach this. You just need to try to constantly get better. To become as good as you can possibly be by the time auditions roll around. If it's good enough then it's good enough. If it isn't, it isn't. But you'll likely improve more if your goal is simply to get better than if it were simply to reach some arbitrary measure of skill or talent.