Sax on the Web Forum banner

Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame Inductees 2012

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  FawltyTenor 
#1 ·
OK, Freddie King, fo' sho, and great rendition of Goin' Down live performance by Billy Gibbons, Derek Trucks, Dusty Hill, etc.

But... How is Donovan R&R ?
Wassup? He didn't make it in, some 30 plus years ago. Why now? I barely remember him or his influence..
just psychedelia bs.

Beastie Boys? Had what? 3 hits? What instruments do they play? Turntable, groin, hand waving?

Laura Nyro- Song writing maybe, but R&R? Nebulous at best. Surely not great.
Guess everyone gets in.

Small Faces/Faces- well deserved and too late. Ronnie Wood is R&R.

G&R, RHCP- not my cup of tea, but the sales I get.

Who wouldn't want Flea as their bassist?

#3 ·
Re: Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame 2012

everyone gets in because they need to induct folks every year until the whole thing dries up. (just like the first time around, the Clash were the last band that mattered.)
The Clash were another one/two hit wonder.
Hardly deserved of induction.

My standards must be too high.

#4 ·

Yeah saxphil, your standards are rather troubling to you eh? Hmm, & Chuck Berry played at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival?? 'Is there no proper order in this world?' R & R... Jazz... Pop?... So confusing no? Won't somebody get this stuff in the proper categories? There 'must' be proper order!

#5 ·

Hey euge, inductees should at least play instruments, at least in some capacity, no?

Rap artists should have their own "hall".

Yes, my standards... I am slightly annoyed when a group/person who, imo, is ordinary, but
perhaps has some degree of commercial success, is inducted.

#7 ·

But 'no' R & R singers are worthy unless playing an instrument?? Vocals do seem a 'relatively' dynamic aspect of R & R no? saxphil, your basic arguments seem specious!

#9 ·

saxphil, your basic arguments seem specious!
I'm not intentionally being showy and my comments are genuine.

My arguments are based on my prejudice, discuss.

Just vocals ain't R&R, imo.

#8 ·

Perhaps a change in title is in order, for our present day.

From, R&R Hall of Fame...to... Might Contain Some Traces/Or Not of R&R, Hall Of Fame.

#11 ·
Who cares about the R&R hall of fame. Its just a private organization... they weren't ordained by rock-jesus or anything. Anyone on this board could start one with equal legitimacy.

Having said that, requirements like 'playing an instrument' are silly. Rock isn't about technical proficiency (and thank god for that).

#12 ·

Really?
Un-Freaking believable!

Beastie Boys...fun hit songs but not HoF material.
G&R.....ditto, but with a whacko front man.
Laura Nyro....who??
Freddie King, Donovan, Small Faces.......OK, but as mentioned too late for anyone but the Geritol crowd (or R&R historians) to know about.

I don't think the musician(s) necessarily have to play an instrument though most singers had a set band behind them (Pat Benatar) comes to mind.

#13 ·

Really?
Beastie Boys...fun hit songs but not HoF material.
They were pretty huge. Best selling rap group of all time, got a lot of play on rock radio way before other rap groups did. Very influential. I don't see why they don't belong (putting aside my belief that the hall of fame is meaningless for a sec). G&R as well... if you exclude these bands and similar ones, your hall of fame becomes a very short list.

#15 ·
I love Laura Nyro, one of the all time greats but what does she have to do with rock and roll? Her recordings featured Joe Farrell, Zoot Sims and Alice Coltrane to name a few although Duane Allman and Labelle were on others. Anyway the concept there is so diffused as to be meaningless. As Dr Whippett pointed out bands like Yes and the Moody Blues would make more sense and have been ignored. Its kind of a farce.
Plus a friend who was there said they had a Yamaha on display as Jr Walkers horn. FAIL!!!

#18 ·
How anyone could know anything about Yes, The Moody Blues, and most of all Rush, and not have them in the sham of fame is not only wrong, but it's sad. Rush has stood the test of time. To this day they continue to evolve as a group. They have musicianship coming out of their you know whats.

The people in charge of naming the inductees to the R&R HOF are idiots who are WAY too entitled.

#19 ·
I've linked the list of artists who are "in"...

Look, I don't begrudge groups like Beastie Boys or even ABBA for getting the nod. Alice Cooper, for sure! But, no Paul Rodgers and/or Bad Company ?!? Are you freaking kidding me!!! Epic fail!!!! Ironic that Mellencamp got in there and is a HUGE Paul Rodgers fan... remember him commenting how he cannot beleive Rodgers hadn't been voted in something like 10 years back already!!!!

But, there seems to be a total snub of "progressive rock" groups other than Genesis including ELP, Kansas, Moody Blues, Rush, Triumph, Yes...you're telling me not ANY of those groups are worthy? Bologney!

Okay, how about jazz/rock fusion... Miles is in, sure that's a given. James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone - absolutely!!!! But what about BS&T, Chicago, McLaughlin/Mahavishnu...another epic fail!!!

http://rockhall.com/inductees/alphabetical/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.