Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone ever tried these Chinese knockoff mouthpieces?

I figure they're cheap enough they might be worth a try. What do you guys think, I don't think they look too bad, and the chamber/baffle slope looks decently done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/silver-plate...ht_3845wt_1166

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-Metal-NE...ht_2704wt_1166

Distinguished SOTW Member. eugeneherman's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone ever tried these Chinese knockoff mouthpieces?

My friend Robert at MidiOpera had a young student that purchased a metal tenor piece made in PRC... 'How bad could it be?' In that case, 'unplayable'... You pay a meager amount for a metal mpc... What are you really expecting?
    'It's ain't about the notes on the page, it's about the notes on the stage!'

Hmm, that's a shame, I had a friend pick up a metal piece that I think goes on ebay for somewhere around $30.00, and it was surprisingly not bad. The thing that surprised me was the intonation, I'm just happy they have a return feature, otherwise I would never consider one. Thank you for the insight

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maiaihii View Post
    I figure they're cheap enough they might be worth a try. What do you guys think, I don't think they look too bad, and the chamber/baffle slope looks decently done.

I don't think I could get used to the left-handed lig, imho!

FWIW, I have a Chinese tenor mpc (8 tip), Zenghao (I think that's how it's spelled off the top of my head) brand that looks identical to your eBay alto example (only gold plated). Surprisingly, it isn't too bad - for a higher baffle mpc.

I don't think I could get used to the left-handed lig, imho!
    ?? Looks to me like a straight on lig like a Link?

And couldn't find anything from Zenghao, but yeah I'd like to try one out sometime, thanks for the insight

?? Looks to me like a straight on lig like a Link?

And couldn't find anything from Zenghao, but yeah I'd like to try one out sometime, thanks for the insight
    Oops! I meant the tenor mpc with the two-screw lig! Eegads, it's getting late, been a long day. Sorry 'bout that. My html is rusty and any other bad excuse I can come up with!

Here's a link to Zenghao mouthpiecs - http://www.zhmelody.com/prod.aspx

Scroll about halfway down...

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

It doesn't say what brand, but one thing is for sure, just because they are cheap and Chinese doesn't mean they are bad mouthpieces. I've played some Chinese mouthpieces at the same price which were very good. Chinese companies mange to make quality products at low prices due to the low labour costs, but beware, they are not all good. If there is a return policy they are definitely worth trying IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Chinese companies manage to make quality products at low prices due to the low labour costs, but beware, they are not all good. If there is a return policy they are definitely worth trying IMO.
    True, and that is my main concern with such products. We're getting a bargain because they are not paid properly.
    Grassi low A bari (1976) Meyer 9M / Martin "The Martin" tenor (1951), OL vintage Tone Edge #7
    Martin "Indiana" alto (1954), Meyer 6M / Buffet Crampon "Continentale" Bb clarinet (1972), Vandoren V360

Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar

My current mouthpiece is a Kanee Custom O7. Best mouthpiece so far on my Super 20 using a Legere 2.75 Signature.
    Super 20 Silversonic Tenor 427xxx - Purchased New 1968
    STM Long Body 7* Refaced by Jimmy Jensen with Orange box Rico 2.5

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-Metal-NE...ht_2704wt_1166
    I could definitely think of a few things I would rather do with 50 bucks. Unless you think one of these no-name Chinese eBay mouthpieces might really be what you're looking for, it seems like a waste of money to me.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2013

Yes,

I've tried both of these. But I bought mine from MusicalWheels on eBay.

The facings are pretty rough but they made pretty good blanks to reface. Since they were cheap, I experimented on several of these myself. I've got a Selmer Jazz clone for both Alto and Tenor that now play pretty well. And my main soprano mouthpiece that I use everyday is one of these with the "Maestro" name on it that I completely modified the chamber. I've got a Ponzol M1. But I like this home modified piece better.

Of the ones I've bought, the silver plated versions are finished better. The gold plate is very rough on the ones that come in the Golden Tone box. But my soprano piece mark Maestro is very nicely finished in gold. So the quality seem to vary a lot.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

Forum Contributor 2012 Joe Giardullo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enviroguy View Post
    Yes,

The facings are pretty rough but they made pretty good blanks to reface.
    I've purchased a number of different pieces and I concur with the above. One problem I've found over and over is that the brass is kind of a bastard-quality, with inclusions of who-knows-what metal. I've seen this many times when I've taken tables down.

But, as blanks, they can be interesting, each piece being its own universe with no direct correlation from one to the next.

The late, great saxophonist Richard Grando used to pick up "ZIMGAR" Japanese metal tenor pieces (same company that had Zimgar guitars, drums, etc) from Charlie Ponte's shop for $25 and make what was a doorstop into a killer piece. But the brass quality was pretty high. Richie used to tell me not to be "too interested" in the ZIMGAR when I went into Ponte's because if Charlie found out what he had, he'd double the price.
    I'd love to stumble on some of those Zimgar "blanks" now.
    Info@Sopranoplanet.com
    world class mouthpieces for soprano saxophone
    New: ALMA for alto sax !

Interesting stuff from everybody, and ratracer, any place that has Porducts as a link and not Products on their website must be serious haha.

Pete Thank you for your insight, I actually saw you talking about some of these pieces on the coffee website (not sure of the name), something dealing with a shark?

I just find you have to be lucky to find a good piece.

I also find it interesting that one of their mouthpieces in one finish are yellow brass, and the others are copper.

If I were to try one, you guys think brass or copper?

Very interesting story btw Joe

Distinguished SOTW Member LateNiteSax's Avatar

"We sax players need to stick together and save the world." Sonny Rollins, 1993 after a show.

Wow I gotta say that thing looks good, but I guess the price isn't crazy low either

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Pete Thank you for your insight, I actually saw you talking about some of these pieces on the coffee website (not sure of the name), something dealing with a shark?
    Sharkbite is one brand, quite a few people have found them to be good. The ones I tried were Huastar, and I was very impressed, like an STM but better. I know Stephen Howard bought a Huastar baritone mouthpiece and uses it.

The problem with Chinese mouthpieces (and saxophones to an extent) is that many people use the word "Chinese" as if it's a brand. So after trying one or even a few that are dodgy, they then think all Chinese mouthpieces must be bad.

The problem with Chinese mouthpieces (and saxophones to an extent) is that many people use the word "Chinese" as if it's a brand. So after trying one or even a few that are dodgy, they then think all Chinese mouthpieces must be bad.
    I agree completely. And interesting, I'll check out the Huastar

Interesting stuff from everybody, and ratracer, any place that has Porducts as a link and not Products on their website must be serious haha.
    Heh, heh! Yeah, I saw that. I'm pretty critical of misspellings on American websites but for anyone that English (even if it is American-English) is a second language a bit of slack...

I have also had an eye on these chinese metal mpc.s

However, I am very concerned about the metal inside and that the plating would wear off and cause an allergy for metals which would mean always using gloves when handling different type of metal objects.
    Some say based on brass other say based on copper.

How worried do I need to be?
    Are they better or worse than any other brand (new or vintage) from that perspective?
    People ask themselves if they would quit work if they won the lottery?
    Well look at me ... I am still working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast