P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Big Mouthpieces

Default Big Mouthpieces

Hi. I've always prefered larger mouthpieces, and I was wondering what some exceptionally large tenor mouthpieces are (bigger than a HR Link). Thanks.

Forum Contributor 2014 Sakshama's Avatar

Default Re: Big Mouthpieces

I have seen vintage Chedeville and Rampone that seem very large. In the mouth Brilhart pieces feel very large because of the incline of the beak. Large can be applied in many aspects like the tip opening, chamber size -interior, the beak profile and the exterior look that actually have least of the importance.
    Sakshama
    sakshamamouthpieces.com
    "When the power of love replaces the love of power, man will have a new name- God" - Sri Chinmoy

I have a springer HR piece with a large chamber that feels like the largest piece I have ever put into my mouth. HR Bergs feel pretty big to me as well....but maybe older ones cause I have not tried any more recent than 90's.
    Mark VI Tenor 169,xxx - G.A.S.
    Mark VI Alto 238,xxx - RPC 80R
    Yani Sop - Soprano Planet .070

...and now that I am doing my own machining, I am able to offer 2 different profiles for just such cases...
    Offering an alternative to mass-produced, inconsistent saxophone mouthpieces. BE HEARD!
    http://www.springermouthpieces.com

Vandoren V16 HR and Berg HR mouthpieces are physically bigger than a Tone Edge; and, in the case of the V16, almost too big, IMHO.
    "One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."- Winnie the Pooh

Distinguished SOTW Member Captain Beeflat's Avatar

For sheer physical size the Rico Metalite takes some beating...a real mouthful.
    Shame that it looks like a calcified dog turd.
    Experience is an excellent school....but the fees are high.

Thanks guys. I'll have to try a couple of those out

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007 Peterogping's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Beeflat View Post
    For sheer physical size the Rico Metalite takes some beating...a real mouthful.
    Shame that it looks like a calcified dog turd.
    Beware. If you want large in the mouth, find one of the old ones, those that fit the Captain's description. The new ones, with the smooth surface have the same beak angle and height as a Tone Edge.
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft, ARB HR 5* mpc, Charles Bay lig.
    Alto: King Marigaux, Wolfe Tayne #5 / MC Gregory Master 5A 18M mpc., Charles Bay ligature / Pierret Super Artiste, Otto Link "Master Link" #3 mpc, Charles Bay soprano lig.
    Tenor: King Zephyr Military 265xxx, Guy Hawkins #7 HR, Brilhart brass lig / Brilhart Streamline Tonalin (Great Neck) #4, Charles Bay lig.

Distinguished SOTW Member. Tzadik's Avatar

+ for Vandoren V16 HR.