P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Exploring Jazz Saxophone Book - Need Advice and help

Default Exploring Jazz Saxophone Book - Need Advice and help

Hi All,

I have just purchased the book Exploring Jazz Saxophone by Ollie Weston - it looks great, however, I just realised that the book is for alto sax. I am a beginner and learning on the tenor.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this book and is it still applicable to tenor sax? I assume that jazz scales and jazz theory is the same regardless of alto or tenor? Right? Maybe I have just highlighted my ignorance on the subject.

Reading the first few chapters it seems to be a book detailing theory on improvisation and jazz technique, talking how to modify scales for blues and so on. Should I continue to read or send the book back?

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an equivalent tenor book. Any suggestions for a similar book for the tenor. I am a total novice so I need to begin from the beginning.

Frank

Default Re: Exploring Jazz Saxophone Book - Need Advice and help

Unless the book has a play-along CD, there are no issues - scales is scales, dontcha know?

If there is a CD, you'll quickly learn to transpose.
    Go for The Tone,

g

As a veteran for peace, I am already against the next war.

yes there is a cd and a lot of written music and sample solo's in the book. If I play them as written what does that mean? Is it wrong? Is it bad for my learning?

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Franky H View Post
    yes there is a cd and a lot of written music and sample solo's in the book. If I play them as written what does that mean? Is it wrong? Is it bad for my learning?
    If you play tenor with a CD that was re corded for alto, most of the notes will sound wrong. Not a good thing for you. There are ways to work around it, but I wouldn't recommend them for a total beginner.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature
    Inderbinen tenor, Ted Klum Focustone Standard Model 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Quote Originally Posted by Franky H View Post
    There's nothing wrong with reading and practicing - it's all good. You just won't be playing the correct pitch(es) if you try to play as written with the CD.

Listen to the CD to get an idea of how the phrases lie in the context of the tune then turn it off and read/play the solos (understanding that the pitch will sound different if written for alto and played on tenor).

Enjoy the experience and KNOW that you've picked the right horn.

Tenor - it's all that matters.
    Go for The Tone,

g

As a veteran for peace, I am already against the next war.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Tenor - it's all that matters.
    I'll second that!!
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature
    Inderbinen tenor, Ted Klum Focustone Standard Model 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Sorry, I keep passing by this thread and thinking there's something called the Exploding Jazz Saxophone Book. The only advice I could give would be to practice from at least 200 feet away.
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

lol, that would be an interesting if not bizarre read. In actual life it may look something similar to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9jJeAh10jI

I often practice tenor bits on my Alto sax as I have a mute case for it so can practice late into the night on it. (too tight to buy a second Tenor mute case)
    Helps me learn the scales and fingering just fine as that's the same on both instruments. The tune may be pitched differently but the timing and melody are the same.

The recent Saxophone for Dummies book even uses the same songs for both Alto and Tenor. It has two set of tunes on the CD so you can listen to the appropriate one.
    Songs sound the same but different - a bright alto tune may sound more blue on tenor etc., but is still recognisable.