P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: The Three Tenors (blind mouthpiece comparison)

Default The Three Tenors (blind mouthpiece comparison)

Thought I'd record a bit of back-to-back playing one of my favorite tunes on my jazz tenor mouthpieces. Just a quick bit of each mouthpiece to see what I liked better and also just to see how similar I end up sounding on each!

I welcome any and all comments from the peanut gallery on this one...if you want to guess which clip is which mouthpiece feel free. Here's another clue for you all...I've never shared a clip on SOTW on one of these mouthpieced...(I'll add that the reed on "C" felt a little stuffy today). Microphone placement and mixer/effects settings are identical...

Melody statement
    Mouthpiece "A" 8 bars, "B" 8 bars, "C" 8 bars... then mpc A completes the melody and leads into the solos....

Solos .50 to 1.28 - A
    1.29 to 2.08 - B
    2.09 through fadeout - C

Another mouthpiece comparison clip

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Shawn
    Alto: YAS23, Greg Wier NY 6m
    Tenor: Selmer (Elkhart) 164, Saxscape FatCat Proto
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1122869

Default Re: The Three Tenors (blind mouthpiece comparison)

C has tons more sound on my laptop speakers
    B you sounded most comfortable on.
    Saxlicker

1964 MKVI Tenor, Robusto 7* and too much other stuff. Browse the Horns

that's very interesting....

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

For some reason, the link isn't working for me (Safari browser) ...
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

okay, thought a ballad comparison would be interesting too... just a quick and dirty recording with my digital camera (then converted to audio). Switched mouthpieces on the fly (I dropped one at the first change )

same mouthpieces same order.
    A 0.00-1.00, B 1.00-2.00, C 2.00-3.40, A 3.46 to end ....

Ballad clip (You've Changed)

@JLima - you might try downloading the audio file and then playing with iTunes etc. rather than streaming....

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Thanks. Now both links are working just fine. Could have been my internet connection.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Quote Originally Posted by jlima View Post
    For some reason, the link isn't working for me (Safari browser) ...
    How can you be so sure it's a link?
    Tenor: Saxart Creative Tenor Silverplate, Warburton LA 7*, ED Rovner lig.
    Alto: Selmer Mk VI, Barone Vintage, ED Rovner lig
    Soprano: Jupiter 947, Bari HR, ED Rovner lig

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Talking about the ballad here. A sounded kind of "muddy" to me, w/ less core than the other two. C sounded very "square", unidimensional. B seemed to be the most flexible, at least to my ears. I'd take it anytime, compared to the other two.
    Tenor:

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Souportwenty View Post
    How can you be so sure it's a link?
    Ha.
    Tenor:

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

I listened to both clips and found you sounded good on all Shawn . Both tunes are quite different (which is good for the comparison), the ballad seemed to have some sound distortation on my cheap laptop speakers.

Over both takes I prefer A over C over B. B and C both become a bit bright when pushed in the higher register (especially in the first clip). A had a nice core in the sound over the whole range, my guess would be that it's a metal Link. B sounded very comfortable for you in clip 1, in clip B it sounded to me a bit dryer than the others. C seemed to have more resistance and more volume when pushed, but also became a bit bright in the upper register in clip 1. I liked the sound in clip 2 more. No idea what mouthpieces B and C could be.

What did you prefer yourself?

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

appreciate the comments from everyone so far... I'll provide the full run-down later about the make etc. of the mouthpieces.

In the ballad clip, I'd definitely preferred A-C-B. (I think I had a different reed on mpc C, which helped). Fwiw, I think the ballad clip really highlights the differences even with the lesser recording quality.

I was pleasantly surprised with how B sounded on the Another You clip...that was my main mouthpiece for a few years maybe '86-'88. Haven't played much on that at all for 20 years!

It makes a big difference how good the setup feels when you're playing, doesn't it. That's one thing that came accross at times, especially in the ballad clip where I was trying to do more expressive things with the sound...

I felt B had a generally "lighter" sound, and with C I noted more issues with pitch and control....

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by fsaxwas9 View Post
    Fwiw, I think the ballad clip really highlights the differences even with the lesser recording quality.
    I agree with you for the tonal character. But in my experience (you know I've done a ton of MPC comparison clips) the 'real' character of a MPC becomes clear when played at high volume. The real good ones can take a lot of air and still keep a good sound.

It makes a big difference how good the setup feels when you're playing, doesn't it. That's one thing that came accross at times, especially in the ballad clip where I was trying to do more expressive things with the sound...
    Soundclips only show a small part of a mouthpiece to the listener, but still can be very useful. As a player you feel and hear much more and in the end you are the only one who can decide about which MPC plays, feels and sounds the best for what you want.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium

totally agree
    As a player you feel and hear much more and in the end you are the only one who can decide about which MPC plays, feels and sounds the best for what you want.
    Confidence/comfort has so much to do, I've been playing the most on "A" the last few months it feels the most "dialed in." It's also not as reed picky as the other two. If I spent the majority of time playing one of the other pieces, my perception might be different.

I don't have a proper lig right now for the metal Berg, had to resort to the old rubber band trick. Here's your line-up....

A - Saxscape FatCat
    B - Berg Larsen SS 105-2-M
    C - Berg Larsen HR 1xx-1-M

Like over 20 years ago, I opened up the inside of the ss Berg removing much of the baffle...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg A.jpg (56.1 KB, 188 views)
    • File Type: jpg B.jpg (57.7 KB, 24 views)
    • File Type: jpg C.jpg (57.8 KB, 23 views)

Forum Contributor 2014

That's a surprise (for me)! In most of your SOTW TOTM clips I always preferred one of the Berg's (was that C?).

Yes, the HR Berg. There is something to the "thick darkness" I get on the Berg...when I have the right reed on there it plays pretty nicely as far as feel.

While the Saxscape is a more spread tone, guess I find it the highest quality sound in terms of evenness and intonation. The HR Berg is harder to control, likely due to the facing issues. The metal Berg surprised me though. It's not as "dead" as I thought, although I don't feel it has nearly as much "personality" as the other two. I'm sure opening the inside up crudely as I did took away a lot of it's "Berg-ness"...of course. With Bergs the baffle is a big thing isn't it...

I listed to both before commenting or reading anybody posts. A was the clear winner for me. Peter is so right about the in person playing experience. Although you sound fine on all three, to my ears, A had the best core sound or clear sound. B sounded a lot like A but not as clear. C sounded a little stuffy to me. Isn't that weird?

I have been playing a Jody Jazz HR7* against a 5 yr old Otto Link 8 - and I and I am a very screwed up person currently because of it.

Distinguished SOTW Member bfoster64's Avatar

I have a Fat Cat. It is a versatile piece with a big sound. Seems like a cross between an EB Tone Edge (short baffle) and a Soloist (straight sidewalls, flat ramp).

@bfoster64 - any clips out there of you playing it?

All I know is I'm happy with how the mouthpiece plays/feels and the dark rubber Link type sound I feel I'm getting. I havent tried Ken's other pieces or Mouthpiece Cafe or Phil Tone, so I can't compare. Or those "new vintage rubber Links" or whatever theyre called.

It's quite interesting (and maybe not surprising at all)...my sound on the HR Berg is different, but not a lot different. Even a touch darker, less spread, a few other differences...

I don't even know if I could get a real bright tone anymore...or at least be happy with it. I listen to everyone but I have gravitated towards the darker sound favored by players like early Rollins, Henderson, Lovano. Or even Seamus Blake (to throw out a newer name).

Not complaining, guess I like saxophone sounds like my coffee, beer, and chocolate - dark!!!!

Shawn - I have also gravitated to the big darker sounds. You remember I used to be a Dukoff guy. I somehow don't care that much for that type of sound for me personally. I stuck some molding clay into my new Link and make a high baffle and HOLY COW - there was that loud searing bright Dukoff sound again! It was just an experiment. Dark is in.