P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: King zephyr sitting for about 30 years...And now I'm my hands and I do not know how to plat the sax,

Default King zephyr sitting for about 30 years...And now I'm my hands and I do not know how to plat the sax,

Hello,

I have had this sax for a few years now since my dads passing. Recently cleaning out the garage it resurfaced and I found myself interested. It is such a nice piece of craftsmanship and I found myself wanting to shine her up! I am not a musician nor do I have any musical talent but I would like to learn about the sax. Few details to share:
    Sax is a king zephyr alto
    Sold in 1968
    Serial 433333
    Still shiny but has not been touched in over 20 yrs

Questions:
    Can I learn w this sax?
    It seems to be in ok condition, can I use it without a full overhaul?
    Is it worth much?

If anyone can help a newbie would be much appreciated!

Forum Contributor 2012 dubrosa22's Avatar

Default Re: King zephyr sitting for about 30 years...And now I'm my hands and I do not know how to plat the

Quote Originally Posted by pmauoo View Post
    I found myself wanting to shine her up!
    Don't USE abrasive metal cleaning agents on your dad's sax whatever you do!

If it's silverplated - use a silver impregnated polishing cloth.
    If it's lacquered brass you may want to do some searches here on the best ways to clean it.

Good luck!

Alto: SML 'Revision D' // Selmer 'Short Shank' Soloist C*
    Tenor: Selmer TS600L // Otto Link STM 6*; Berg 95/1/M

Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: King zephyr sitting for about 30 years...And now I'm my hands and I do not know how to plat the

Quote Originally Posted by pmauoo View Post
    Hello,

I have had this sax for a few years now since my dads passing. Recently cleaning out the garage it resurfaced and I found myself interested. It is such a nice piece of craftsmanship and I found myself wanting to shine her up! I am not a musician nor do I have any musical talent but I would like to learn about the sax. Few details to share:
    Sax is a king zephyr alto
    Sold in 1968
    Serial 433333
    Still shiny but has not been touched in over 20 yrs

Questions:
    Can I learn w this sax?
    It seems to be in ok condition, can I use it without a full overhaul?
    Is it worth much?

If anyone can help a newbie would be much appreciated!
    Your Dad had good taste--that's a classic American-made sax you have there. I play a Zephyr tenor.

You should take it into a music store in your area that has a repair shop and ask them what it would take to put it in playing condition.

Then I would get some new reeds, have them show you how to assemble the sax and put the reed on the mouthpiece (I'm assuming your Dad had one). I would also have someone in the store who's decent like the repair technician play the sax so you can hear its potential.

Have fun!

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Post your location and someone can recommend a good tech in your area.

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

I'm with drwhippet on this one. You need someone else -either a competent tech, or at least a decent player - to check out its playing condition. Yes, you can learn on that horn (as well as on any other) if it is in good playing shape.

Thanks guys for your responses. I live in dutchess county about an hour and 20 mins north of NYC. Any recommendations on where to go to have it checked out?

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

You know, I think there are several SOTW members up there. Graysax comes to mind. Charlie could at least look it over for you.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Gold Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

Forum Contributor 2012
    SOTW Saxophone Whisperer
    Distinguished SOTW Technician

I am located in Dutchess County as well - on Rt 55 in Lagrange - right in front of Arlington HS at Paul Effman Music. My hours are 9-5 MWF - and 9-3 Tu Th. Just stop in.

I can tell you anything you need to know about this horn once I see it.

Charlie

--Benny Hil
    l2011 Hunter Soprano
    1956 Selmer Mark VI Alto
    1929 Conn Chu Alto
    2012 Viking M58 Tenor
    2012 Viking M58 Baritone
    1924 Buescher Bass
    1969 - Very Understanding Wife
    Haynes Flute / Weissman Headjoint
    Weissman Piccolo
    Buffet Festival Clarinet
    Buffet Prestige Bass Clarinet

Thanks for your help graysax...I will try and pop in tomorrow...

Thanks all for the help and special thanks to Charlie. Charlie gave the sax a big thumbs up and was surprised on how well it's condition is after so many years of sitting.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

The SOTW community strikes again!

I've never had the opportunity to work with Charlie, but given the quality of his contributions around here you're in excellent hands! Enjoy that horn pmauoo!

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

Glad that worked out for you.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Gold Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.