Sax on the Web Forum banner

King zephyr sitting for about 30 years...And now I'm my hands and I do not know how to plat the sax,

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  maddenma 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have had this sax for a few years now since my dads passing. Recently cleaning out the garage it resurfaced and I found myself interested. It is such a nice piece of craftsmanship and I found myself wanting to shine her up! I am not a musician nor do I have any musical talent but I would like to learn about the sax. Few details to share:
Sax is a king zephyr alto
Sold in 1968
Serial 433333
Still shiny but has not been touched in over 20 yrs

Questions:
Can I learn w this sax?
It seems to be in ok condition, can I use it without a full overhaul?
Is it worth much?

If anyone can help a newbie would be much appreciated!

#2 ·
Re: King zephyr sitting for about 30 years...And now I'm my hands and I do not know how to plat the

I found myself wanting to shine her up!
Don't USE abrasive metal cleaning agents on your dad's sax whatever you do!

If it's silverplated - use a silver impregnated polishing cloth.
If it's lacquered brass you may want to do some searches here on the best ways to clean it.

Good luck! :)

#3 ·
Re: King zephyr sitting for about 30 years...And now I'm my hands and I do not know how to plat the

Hello,

I have had this sax for a few years now since my dads passing. Recently cleaning out the garage it resurfaced and I found myself interested. It is such a nice piece of craftsmanship and I found myself wanting to shine her up! I am not a musician nor do I have any musical talent but I would like to learn about the sax. Few details to share:
Sax is a king zephyr alto
Sold in 1968
Serial 433333
Still shiny but has not been touched in over 20 yrs

Questions:
Can I learn w this sax?
It seems to be in ok condition, can I use it without a full overhaul?
Is it worth much?

If anyone can help a newbie would be much appreciated!
Your Dad had good taste--that's a classic American-made sax you have there. I play a Zephyr tenor.

You should take it into a music store in your area that has a repair shop and ask them what it would take to put it in playing condition.

Then I would get some new reeds, have them show you how to assemble the sax and put the reed on the mouthpiece (I'm assuming your Dad had one). I would also have someone in the store who's decent like the repair technician play the sax so you can hear its potential.

Have fun!

#5 ·

I'm with drwhippet on this one. You need someone else -either a competent tech, or at least a decent player - to check out its playing condition. Yes, you can learn on that horn (as well as on any other) if it is in good playing shape.

#6 ·

Thanks guys for your responses. I live in dutchess county about an hour and 20 mins north of NYC. Any recommendations on where to go to have it checked out?

#7 ·

You know, I think there are several SOTW members up there. Graysax comes to mind. Charlie could at least look it over for you.

#8 ·

I am located in Dutchess County as well - on Rt 55 in Lagrange - right in front of Arlington HS at Paul Effman Music. My hours are 9-5 MWF - and 9-3 Tu Th. Just stop in.

I can tell you anything you need to know about this horn once I see it.

Charlie

#10 ·

Thanks all for the help and special thanks to Charlie. Charlie gave the sax a big thumbs up and was surprised on how well it's condition is after so many years of sitting.

#11 ·

The SOTW community strikes again!

I've never had the opportunity to work with Charlie, but given the quality of his contributions around here you're in excellent hands! Enjoy that horn pmauoo!

#12 ·

Glad that worked out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.