P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: rico royal or yamaha

Default rico royal or yamaha

beginner mouthpiece suggestions
    for a alto sax.
    rico royal b5, or yamaha 4c.

Default Re: rico royal or yamaha

I like the ricos, but the yamaha would probably be better for a beginner.

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Yamaha
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Yamaha 4C

When I began, I couldn't get a tone out of the rico (that came with my horn). The yamaha was great.

thanks for the replies. yamaha it is.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Ricos will only handicap your playing and frustrate you...or anyone for that matter.

Atrocious mouthpieces....beyond the fact that they are uber-cheap....they have nothing to recommend them as a beginner mouthpiece. They sound bad, they do not blow freely, they aren't user friendly.

Good choice !
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Far superior to the Yamaha 4C IMO is the new Bari Esprit II, which I also think beats the Rico. They are a real bargain and seem to have much more character to the sound than the Yamaha, which is too neutral and lacking any character IMO. Do give one a try and you may be surprised!
    Alto: Selmer Reference 54/Phil-Tone Rift mpc/Marc Jean Lig/Marca J's
    Tenor: System 54 U/L Powerbell/Phil-Tone Isotope mpc/ Marc Jean Lig/Marca J's
    Soprano: Bauhaus Walstein Bronze Curved/Sop Planet Via Coro mpc/Marc Jean Lig/MarcaJ's

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    Ricos will only handicap your playing and frustrate you...or anyone for that matter.

Atrocious mouthpieces....beyond the fact that they are uber-cheap....they have nothing to recommend them as a beginner mouthpiece. They sound bad, they do not blow freely, they aren't user friendly.

Good choice !

Thanks for that! One of these Rico Royals came with my alto, and I can't play it very easily. ...... (Rico Royal A5). I replaced it with a Yamaha 4C. Totally playable, great place to start.

If they're that bad, I guess I won't be looking at the Rico for my next mp.

Turtle
    1924 Conn NWI Tenor / 1970's Yamaha 61 Tenor / Custom V1 neck / NY STM Link 5* / Vandoren V16 reeds

Just bought and Alto Saxophone yesterday (YAY!) so now I have one, and the moutphiece that came with it plays fairly well, which was a surprise. However, I ordered a Yamaha 3C mouthpiece on Amazon (new) as I had read that using smaller number on the mouthpieces are better partners with soft reeds. So I was wondering if you think he might be well with the Yamaha 3C mouthpiece over the 4C mouthpiece. Reference my reading about this: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/mouthpieces.htm

Forum Contributor 2014 skeller047's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
    Just bought and Alto Saxophone yesterday (YAY!) so now I have one, and the moutphiece that came with it plays fairly well, which was a surprise. However, I ordered a Yamaha 3C mouthpiece on Amazon (new) as I had read that using smaller number on the mouthpieces are better partners with soft reeds. So I was wondering if you think he might be well with the Yamaha 3C mouthpiece over the 4C mouthpiece. Reference my reading about this: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/mouthpieces.htm
    That's not the accepted wisdom The smaller the mouthpiece tip opening (usually what the mouthpiece number refers to, and definitely true in this case), the harder the reed. That said, a 4C is a fine beginning mouthpiece, and the difference between a 3C and a 4C is probably not significant.

However, I agree with BertieB about the Bari Esprit, I've played a few of those and prefer them because they have round chambers and sidewalls. The straight sides on the 4C make it a more classical style piece, which results in a somewhat thinner tone.

But bottom line, for a beginning player this is not an issue, so the 4C (or 3C) is a fine choice.
    Steve Keller

Is there much difference between the BARI Espirit and the BARI Espirit II mouthpieces? According to this link, they have square chambers. http://cavanaughcompany.shptron.com/...nish?pp=8&pp=8