P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: getting ready for my first lesson

Default getting ready for my first lesson

i found a local teacher, and my lessons start june 1st. i am a total beginner.
    i have a bundy selmer alto sax. is there anything i can be doing before my first lesson, without teaching myself bad habits.

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Default Re: getting ready for my first lesson

Learn how to assemble sax, neck, mouthpiece. Practice assembling reed/lig/mouthpiece correctly. Practice adjusting your neckstrap correctly so that you can hold the sax comfortably and the mp is at the right point to go into your mouth. Take your time. Try blowing the mouthpiece on the neck and see if you can get a note and try to hold it. If that is all easy try holding a couple of notes with the sax fully assembled. Don't do too much before the lesson. Have fun!
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

You will not get bad habits in 2 months. Honestly. Just have fun with the saxophone -- like Rooty said, learn to put it together, learn to make a few notes. Learn online where your fingers go, and try to put them there.

GET YOUR HORN TUNED UP by a local tech. Make sure its in full playing condition -- have the tech play it for you for a minute when he's done tuning it up.

LISTEN to a lot of the saxophone music you enjoy. Who made you want to start playing? Listen closely to every good saxophone player you can find online, and listen for nuances in the sound of the instrument. How does it sound when they start a note? How does their tone compare to someone else? Start to get the nuanced sound of the horn in your head. The more you listen, the more you hear.

Forum Contributor 2014 Stuckond's Avatar
    The sunny shores of Southern Lake Superior: Marquette, Michigan USA

Make sure your horn is tuned up by taking it to the tech. Then take hart in reading the earlier posts and enjoy the beginning of an amazing ride!

and by joining SOTW you have a priceless trove of information at your fingertips. Outside of hiring a teacher SOTW is the best move you could have made.

Diskman50

thanks for all the replies. i have had a tech check out and play my sax. he replaced the neck cork, and made a few adjustments. said it was good to go. i have a fingering chart, so i will start there. should i start learning to read music
    yet, or do i have enough to do for now.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charkey View Post
    thanks for all the replies. i have had a tech check out and play my sax. he replaced the neck cork, and made a few adjustments. said it was good to go. i have a fingering chart, so i will start there. should i start learning to read music
    yet, or do i have enough to do for now.
    You have enough to do. Make noise. Learn some fingerings. Try to play a simple song. Have fun, laugh when it squeaks.

Quote Originally Posted by MyMartinTenor View Post
    You have enough to do. Make noise. Learn some fingerings. Try to play a simple song. Have fun, laugh when it squeaks.
    i will do just that.

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by charkey View Post
    i have a fingering chart, so i will start there. should i start learning to read music
    yet?.
    No, IMO. I have seen this situation a lot of times. Music is about sound and listening rather than seeing and reading. All in good time. Don't worry about the reading too much at this stage. Certainly don't start working through a book of tunes and playing them (badly, probably). That is not going to help or give you confidence. All IMHO.
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

well, i have been looking at my fingering chart, and have been trying A-B-C-D-E-F and G. i have
    been going up and down trying to get my fingers to do what my mind tells them. lol. sometimes i
    think it actually sounds like a note, but i think mostly i am just scaring the cat. i am enjoying
    myself, and am going to try to learn a simple song. cant wait for my lessons to start.