Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010

Default Re: WTB Martin Skyline Committee I Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondSax View Post
    Actually, I think the best Martins ever made could well be the Committee I and possibly Committee II variants.
    It is really refreshing to hear someone knowledgeable put in a good word for the earlier Committees. I had an overhauled and really well set-up Comm III and it was less comfortable to play it had an inferior tone and response to my Handcraft Imperial and Handcraft Committee (aka Committee I) altos. The latter are every bit as good as my Conn 'tranny' and Buescher New Aristocrat altos.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondSax View Post
    I have played quite a few earlier models and a number of "The Martin" series. The pre-Committee I versions tend to have serious intonation problems and I haven't found one yet I want to own and play.
    The Handcraft Imperials can be very good, though. I think Bruce Bailey has said as much on other threads. As well as my Handcraft Imperial alto (112xxx), I have a very early Handcraft Committee I tenor (116XXX) which is really lovely and better than a Comm. II tenor I had for a while. (Spot-on intonation on both of these.) So, if I may make one suggestion, I would extend you serial number range back to about 110XXX and be prepared to consider late Handcraft Imperials with the Committee-style left-hand table keys.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

I kept my HC Imperial tenor and sold my Comm. II & III tenors.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by sax-ony View Post
    It is really refreshing to hear someone knowledgeable put in a good word for the earlier Committees. I had an overhauled and really well set-up Comm III and it was less comfortable to play it had an inferior tone and response to my Handcraft Imperial and Handcraft Committee (aka Committee I) altos. The latter are every bit as good as my Conn 'tranny' and Buescher New Aristocrat altos.

The Handcraft Imperials can be very good, though. I think Bruce Bailey has said as much on other threads. As well as my Handcraft Imperial alto (112xxx), I have a very early Handcraft Committee I tenor (116XXX) which is really lovely and better than a Comm. II tenor I had for a while. (Spot-on intonation on both of these.) So, if I may make one suggestion, I would extend you serial number range back to about 110XXX and be prepared to consider late Handcraft Imperials with the Committee-style left-hand table keys.
    Don't fall into the faulty logic trap of thinking that all horns of make and model x are better than y because I tried one example of y that didn't play as well as two x's I have. My biggest mantra that I repeat the most on here is that in my experience in owing dozens of vintage horns of all makes and models discussed on this forum, I have found that all vintage horns can be different in terms of how well they play. And this is often the case even if both have fresh pro-quality overhauls. I don't know why this is--I just know that some examples play better than others.

In other words, I think you need a much larger sample size before you can say Comm I's play better than Comm II's....

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010

Quote Originally Posted by drwhippet View Post
    Don't fall into the faulty logic trap of thinking that all horns of make and model x are better than y because I tried one example of y that didn't play as well as two x's I have. ...

In other words, I think you need a much larger sample size before you can say Comm I's play better than Comm II's....
    I agree. That is why I didn't say it. I was referring to my own experience of the particular instruments I have played. If we all do the same, then some kind of cumulative consensus might emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce bailey View Post
    I kept my HC Imperial tenor and sold my Comm. II & III tenors.
    Okay, I would consider a Handcraft Imperial if someone is selling one.....
    David Boyles
    Currently playing Yamaha YSS-62R, Conn F Mezzo, Martin Skyline Handcraft Alto, Lyon & Healy C Melody, Buescher "Big B" tenor, Yani B901 Baritone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12