Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Just starting out...

I've played in a Jazz ensemble for a few years now, and concert band when I was younger, but I would like to get into playing solo with backup tracks. I'm not too worried about equipment (there's alot of information here for that) What's a good piece to start with (preferably big band)? Any advice on how to get started would really help! Thanks! (I play tenor sax)
    Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series Black Nickel Tenor
    1950s Conn Continental Colonial
    2004 Conn 24m alto

Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Just starting out...

Dude, Im not going to sit here and tell you how to solo, but let me tell you what I do. * Assuming you know all your scales plus chromatic.* Just close your eye's and imagine. Imagine your flying through NewYork, or riding a roller coaster. Actually my favorite, imagine your in a jazz club or something of that sort. An just let it rip man. Feel it in your soul. Use your whole sax and use rhythms that match the songs. I cant think of any at the moment, but if your in a Jazz band im sure you can solo to most of the songs you guys play.

Distinguished SOTW Member The Saxist's Avatar

Go to a venue where somebody is doing what you want to do, and observe. It should give you ideas both for rep and what equipment you'll need to schlep to the job...
    Infinity had to start somewhere...

Hi. I'm just starting out too.. I Have yet to do my first solo gig. So far the pieces in my backing collection that I will use for tenor sax and might be compatable with a bigband feel are Satin doll, Honeysuckle Rose, Autumn Leaves, My Funny Valentine, Round Midnight..

Quote Originally Posted by haddock View Post
    Hi. I'm just starting out too.. I Have yet to do my first solo gig. So far the pieces in my backing collection that I will use for tenor sax and might be compatable with a bigband feel are Satin doll, Honeysuckle Rose, Autumn Leaves, My Funny Valentine, Round Midnight..
    Some good suggestions there. Actually, if you can pick up a copy of something like the Standards Real Book, anything in there will be good.

- Jimbo