P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selmer Super "Balanced" Balanced Action Tenor 38xxx for sale or trade, very beautiful punchy sound

Default Selmer Super "Balanced" Balanced Action Tenor 38xxx for sale or trade, very beautiful punchy sound

This horn is a player's special. It is pretty in a jazz life kind of way. The lacquer is likely a very old factory job, as the engraving jumps out at you. Several people have been fooled by this one.
    There is plenty of lacquer wear, and some well done repairs that are not hidden.
    This type of relacquer might as well be original as it appears little if any buffing was ever done.

The horn is numbered 38xxx so similar to the Coltrane Bluetrane model, this is a very early SBA. This is in fact the earliest design after the short bell transitional models that start at around 35xxx. This is the first if the better intonation, true early SBA's with the double bell key guards.

This horn is a blast to play, with a kind of tight, lyrical vocal sound to it. The vine is extremely warm and pretty, while delivering a nice organic intimate punch as well. I am not exactly in a rush or desperate need to sell this one. I really really like it myself and may also just keep it, but I am thinking someone might want to grab it and save me from keeping yet another horn.

I will sell this for $6950.00 or best offer from someone who is really going to play it. this is not a museum piece, this is a musician's treasure. Not many horns out there sound and feel like this one. Buyer pays shipping from Boston area and any paypal fees if you use it.
    I also *might* trade for interesting vintage mouthpieces and horns etc.

Default Re: Selmer Super "Balanced" Balanced Action Tenor 38xxx for sale or trade, very beautiful punchy sou

Quote Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
    The vine is extremely warm and pretty
    While that sound quite poetic and obtuse, it should read: "The VIBE is extremely..."
    Could not leave that like that, too weird.

Forum Contributor 2011

Default Re: Selmer Super "Balanced" Balanced Action Tenor 38xxx for sale or trade, very beautiful punchy sou

Any eye candy Marin??

[IMG][/IMG]

As (at least some of) you can see, there have been a few repairs. Nothing too bad and as it is a player's horn, the most important point being that everything is functionally ok. The horn does need some work, but it is so good and unique. Those really interested can talk to me about the details. Video coming up soon. As I think is fairly evident, this horn might as well be a very old original example, the relacquer was that good.

Here is the video, with my 'Marinated EB 7 Link. Of course this piece sounds great on anything. It would sound lovely on either end of a donkey if needed. But this horn gets passionately involved with this mouthpiece so I let them spend some time together. When I bought this horn I tried it out outside in a parking lot, with this mouthpiece, and that is what it likes best.

Distinguished SOTW Member LateNiteSax's Avatar

Yep thats a special sound! This has my favorite vibe off all the vids you have put up.
    "We sax players need to stick together and save the world." Sonny Rollins, 1993 after a show.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar

Great deal! If only I had the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteSax View Post
    Yep thats a special sound! This has my favorite vibe off all the vids you have put up.
    You know, it is very damaging (to my ability to sell this horn) when you say such things... geez, hard to let it go now.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteSax View Post
    That's also what I thought listening to this clip (not to make it more difficult for you to sell Marin )!

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

There are several people drooling over this horn, but you folks... man, I am just thinking about overhauling it and keeping it... NOT making this easy people...

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 jicaino's Avatar

You shouldn't sell that horn man.
    Juan Ignacio Caino
    "The more you sweat during practice, the less you bleed during combat"
    I prefer e-mail messages to PM
    my email adress is jicaino@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/jicaino

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

Plus another on the keep it front. You will regret selling ROFL
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Distinguished SOTW Member LateNiteSax's Avatar

How about a straight trade? I let you touch my lucky knee and you give me the sax?
    "We sax players need to stick together and save the world." Sonny Rollins, 1993 after a show.

HAH! you folks are really enjoying making this harder, and you with the lucky knee, I don't want to touch that nasty thing.

I currently have a couple actual true players, real people, who may end up with this horn (yes real players who do not live off of shiny lacquer alone do still exist!). I could revert and say I'll keep it, and do an overhaul on it and really dig into it, but the problem is, I like to find horns and I have too many, and I paid too much for this one, because I was seduced in the parking lot (many good dates have their important moments in the parking lot right?).

I think some of you know that if you have been playing long enough and enjoyed enough different horns, you begin to know yourself and what you will end up playing. As much as I really like this one, and I might even sound best on it, I will end up playing my VI, and if I want a thrill I will play my Balanced Action. For gigs I will probably always go to the VI. It is a matter of comfort and familiarity with the shape of that air column, and that VI is exceptional anyhow. Even the BA I don't know if I would ever gig on, but it is different enough that it warrants the occasional thrill. For many years I have only gigged on a VI or a silversonic... So this one, probably will not get enough attention for me to keep it. I've really enjoyed it though. I want it to be played.

"River deep, mountain high" ("When I was a little girl I had a rag doll") - Man, this horn sounds great from Mountain to River in spite of being a "rag doll" (well, not exactly, but I like the metaphor), and, Marin, you sound so "at home" with this one, it's really stunning. Play it next to your personal horn for a couple of days before you let it go because you migh regret it.... .

This horn is currently on hold, sale pending.

I bought this horn from Marin, aka Horned Toad. I love this horn and am sadly letting go of my VI 117,xxx tenor as I can't keep both horns. Marin also helped me find that VI, so I think I am qualified enough to say that Marin is a very honest person, great to deal with. If you are interested in a horn he is selling, best to talk to him on the phone. He's a sax player and he loves the saxophone as much as we all do!

Default Re: Selmer Super "Balanced" Balanced Action Tenor 38xxx for sale or trade, very beautiful punchy sound

Thanks for the words, but now that I am reading back on this thread and remember the sound of this horn you are going to have to change your name and go into the witness protection program as long as you own that horn....

Default Re: Selmer Super "Balanced" Balanced Action Tenor 38xxx for sale or trade, very beautiful punchy sound

Hi.
    I would be interested in your horn. I have a MARK VI, -60, that could be traded. My e-mail is peter_nordwall@yahoo.se
    Cheers
    Peter

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

That horn is showing as sold
    CONN 10M (1936) White ROO Pads....Best Tenor Ever!
    "Just noticed that the "lol" symbol looks like a drowning guy, and all you see is his head and arms sticking out of the water. I bet he's not laughing out loud!"

My Website is ONLINE!!!! SAXESANDAXES.COM
    Like us on Facebook!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saxes...32078803475235

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast