Antigua Winds

Default Question re Supporting Players for Parker

Greetings All!
    Sorry if there is another place I shouldve posted this question, but I am a sax player and wanting to play jazz so....

My instructor asked me the other day who my favorite drummers were who played with Parker. Which also led me to think of who I liked best playing trumpet accompanyment. Ive been reading and searching but Ive been having difficulty finding who played on these tunes:

Bloomdido

K.C. Blues

Star Eyes

She Rote

I love the drumming on She Rote, and the trumpet on all four of these songs. I have some trouble telling whether its Dizzy or Miles though they have very distinctive styles.

I realize these songs were recorded on several occasions etc but Im referring to the recordings on the Charlie Parker Millennium album.

If anyone happens to know who played on these songs could you please share?

Thanks in advance.
    7 x 70

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

I can tell you right off that it is Dizzy Gillespie playing trumpet on Bloomdido. [edit: and it's Miles on She Rote] For the other tunes I wouldn't know which recording you're referring.

Default Re: Question re Supporting Players for Parker

On some of the live recordings and air checks the trumpet player is Fats Navarro.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

With all the research about charlie parkers music and recordings, can't imagine it would be hard to track this information down with a little searching on the net. I know other frequent collaborators on trumpet were Red Rodney and Kenny Dorham, in addition to Miles and Dizzy. Howard McGhee and Fats Navarro were on a few things....

Sounds like it's Miles on KC Blues, Star Eyes, and She Rote. Red Rodney did some of the later Verve stuff like Blues for Alice, Loverman....

Try searching through the information here...
    http://www.jazzdisco.org/charlie-parker/discography/
    Alto: YAS23, Greg Wier NY 6m
    Tenor: Selmer (Elkhart) 164, Saxscape FatCat Proto
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1122869

Quote Originally Posted by fsaxwas9 View Post
    With all the research about charlie parkers music and recordings, can't imagine it would be hard to track this information down with a little searching on the net. I know other frequent collaborators on trumpet were Red Rodney and Kenny Dorham, in addition to Miles and Dizzy. Howard McGhee and Fats Navarro were on a few things....

Sounds like it's Miles on KC Blues, Star Eyes, and She Rote. Red Rodney did some of the later Verve stuff like Blues for Alice, Loverman....

Try searching through the information here...
    http://www.jazzdisco.org/charlie-parker/discography/
    Ive searched for hours. Its not that easy. There are lists of who played at about which times and or in the quarter or quintet. But nothing that actually lists what individual players played on each cut on each album. Unlike most of Coltranes discography for example.

Ive seen those names, and it depends which recording who actually played on it.

Dizzy is faster with higher range that I can tell (especially from seeing him on youtube clips), and it seems Miles takes a more melodic approach.

I know of Rodney and Navarro but not familiar with them to be able to pick them out.

Thanks, everyone. The joy goes on!
    7 x 70

fsaxwas9
    Not sure where you found that, but I think it answered most of my questions.

Star Eyes: Miles, Rodney, Ericson (tp), and Roach, Haynes, Noren (d). On the Millenium Edition Im guessing Miles and Roach.

Bloomdido: Dizzy and Roach (was easy to hear Dizzy on this one).

She Rote: Miles and Roach.

KC Blues: Miles and Roach.

I love the way Roach plays especially on She Rote.

And I love listening to Miles on these songs, much more so than his later stuff which took him to stardom.

And Ive always liked Dizzy. I hope to play with trumpeters myself one day.

Thanks, everyone-
    7 x 70

Forum Contributor 2011

Erm, it was Buddy Rich on drums on Bloomdido. This was the record that Norman Granz did, reuniting Bop inventors Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker. Curly Russell was on bass.

Thank god for records and liner notes.

SOTW Columnist

Max Roach played on a lot of Charlie Parker recordings. But it's really a shame how poorly the drums were miked and recorded at that time. I doubt you can hear half of what Max was playing...

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Max Roach played on a lot of Charlie Parker recordings. But it's really a shame how poorly the drums were miked and recorded at that time. I doubt you can hear half of what Max was playing...
    Agreed
    Too bad they cant bring out more of that when they remaster those recordings. Oh well.

Max Roach and Buddy Rich were huge influences on me when I was a kid. We would go to see Buddy at Disneyland when I was very young.

Ah those were the days-

PS Rennie you got me! Thanks.
    7 x 70