P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Looking at a 475 soprano ... vs ?

Albany, NY .. actually Chatham, NY ... but 'where is that??"

Default Looking at a 475 soprano ... vs ?

I am looking to pick up a Yammi 475 soprano from an acquaintance in FL.. but have to ask ... I never owned a soprano but use to play extensively on friend's Mark VI .... How will this 475 compare to a Z? I don't dare ask how it will compare to the Mark VI i use to play ...Just trying to get some feedback from those of you who are more of a soprano player than myself ...
    Tenor ..1973 Selmer Mark VI #211xxx .... RPC .115B ...Selmer 2-screw Lig ... Red Java's #2.5
    Alto ...Yanagisawa A991 #320XXX....RPC .090B ...Selmer 2-screw lig .... Red Java's 2.5
    Sop.... Yamaha 475 .... Morgan Vintage 6...... Rico H lig .... Marca 2.5, RJS 2M

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Looking at a 475 soprano ... vs ?

Haven't played a Z but the 475 is a great horn - modern key layout, good pitch, reliable and seems be holding it's value. If you don't need a bent neck horn and just want to get your feet wet - the 475 is more than enough soprano. I think between $1,000 and $1,200 would be a pretty good price if it doesn't need pads.

Tenor - '61 Mark VI w/Tenney Slant Tone Edge 7
    Altos - '60 & '66 Mark VI w/Meyer 6M/Caravan
    Soprano - JDS (unknown origin) w/Tenney Tone Edge 6
    Clarinet - '68 Buffet R13 w/Richard Hawkins

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

the 475 is a very good “ no frills“ soprano saxophone , it would be really unfair to compare this horn to more expensive horns, nevertheless the 475 holds up well and as far as straight soprano go is a good and relative trouble free one.

read Stephen Howard’s review
    http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/...aha_YSS475.htm

Forum Contributor 2012 Joe Giardullo's Avatar

The 475 is a very nice horn, maybe capable of being a bit bolder than a "Z". I'd say the 475 is more like many Yanagisawa horns from the 1990s in terms of feel.
    I also think that it is a great value in a soprano.
    Info@Sopranoplanet.com
    world class mouthpieces for soprano saxophone
    New: ALMA for alto sax !

Distinguished SOTW Technician BOPITY FUNK's Avatar

The best 'big name' budget priced soprano around IMO. Yamaha filled a gap in the market when these were introduced --15years ago??? At that time there were 'high end' sops. and 'cheapo' --no middle ground.
    Vintage horns-- unless Selmer mk V1--were not considered a viable option so the 475 became a winner. Since then of course Taiwan has become a force to be reckoned with but the 475 still competes favourably with the best of these pricewise.

Had my 475 sop a couple of weeks now and i love it.Very slick as ever by yamaha,build is tops and it blows great.Its a fantastic horn.Intonation is very solid.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Rampone Cazzani AGU,PPT 8* HR,Vigilante NY Mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe,PPT 8 mp, Alto MK1 62 ,Java A45 mp, www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

A very well repected horn, many pro players gig out with a 475!,i sold mine for a yss62 but the 475 was a fine saxophone,you wont go wrong with one..
    bs gunning