Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member Rufusax's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for a good Soprano Sound.

For just tone and expression I like 3 guys....Wayne Shorter, Klaus Doldinger, and Grover Washington Jr........all 3 play different styles but all 3 have beautiful tone concepts.

Since Dexter is your hero, not sure if you've seen this recording but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R1axTqE1Y4. Amazing tone.

You might also like King Curtis on soprano.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlBF_gT7PQk

- Wayne Shorter
    - John Coltrane
    - Branford Marsalis
    - Jan Garbarek
    - Dave Liebman
    Compositions in Music Compositions in Oils Tenor: Selmer Mark VI 92,xxx, Ponzol M2 PLUS 110, Alexander NY 2.5 Alto: SML Gold Medal 15,xxx, Otto Link 6*, Alexander DC 3 Soprano: Yanagisawa S991, Ponzol M2 65, Alexander DC 3 Baritone: Keilwerth 'The New King' 34,xxx, Rousseau JDX 8, Rico Royal 3

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

I love Dexter, but on soprano? That's really not his horn.

Don't forget Steve Lacy! The precision and clarity are phenomenal. Between him, Wayne, Liebman, Garbarek and Branford, you're well covered as far as soprano sound is concerned.
    Stop before you're done. (Miles Davis to David Liebman, on soloing)

Leon
    > Mark VI soprano (107,465), Morgan J8, Legere reed
    > Yanagisawa SC992, Drake "Liebman" .080, Legere reed

I actually quite like his tone at least on that recording.

I think Dexter sounds phenomenal on that cut. Thanks for sharing that.

Forum Contributor 2014

Lucky Thompson: Lucky Strikes

Lucky has a fantastic tone and just a really wonderful conception, a great balance between the lyricism of swing and the harmonic sensibilities of bop. A sadly overlooked player.
    Selmer MarkVI, Phil-tone Tribute, Selmer 404 lig / Sakshama Ring, Otto Link T lig, Rico Jazz Select
    Just Joe's strap (the best)

Forum Contributor 2012 Joe Giardullo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post

Lucky has a fantastic tone and just a really wonderful conception, a great balance between the lyricism of swing and the harmonic sensibilities of bop. A sadly overlooked player.
    Yes, yes +1
    Info@Sopranoplanet.com
    world class mouthpieces for soprano saxophone
    New: ALMA for alto sax !

If you are only talking tone. To me it's simple Wayne, Wayne and more Wayne!!!

But if you want to hear some new concept and virtuoso soprano check out Sam Newsome on Blue Soliloquy.

Forum Contributor 2012 Joe Giardullo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post

I'm listening to live recordings of Lucky Thompson now (LUCKY THOMPSON- NEW YORK CITY 1964-65) and his soprano is just beautiful in sound and conception. A side note: on drums is Steve Lacy's long-time drummer-to-be, the tragically late Oliver Johnson.

Find this music!
    Info@Sopranoplanet.com
    world class mouthpieces for soprano saxophone
    New: ALMA for alto sax !

Let's face it--a lot of these other cats were discussing wouldn't have even taken up the soprano if not for Trane putting it on the map in a major way around 1960. He IS both the Master of the Small Sax and the one who single-handedly revived the instrument in the modern jazz era.

If you're going after his oboe-ish, eastern-like tone though, I think you need a Selmer or a sop with a similar core. You can try to get it with mouthpiece/approach as Liebman apparently has on a JK, but I think it's much more easily done with a Selmer Mark VI as these horns naturally have this kind of focused, snake-charmer-like sound. Shorter--who also played a VI (and horns with VI-like bores) also has kind of an oboe-like sound.

I suspect you can also get this sound more easily on a Yamaha or Yani. But it's may more difficult to achieve on a JK or vintage Conn, which have more spread sounds. I think you could also more easily achieve it on a Buescher True Tone since these are similar to Selmers in that they stayed more true to Adolphe Sax's original designs.

Personally, I play a vintage Selmer sop so my horn already has this oboe-like Coltrane sound without my having to go for it through approach, mouthpiece, etc.

You might like this one. Branford Marsalis playing Lonely Swan on soprano on his beautiful album Eternal.

Talkin´ about Dexter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGEJAA0-Dk

Came up with this recording today when I was chearching his version of good ol´ "Cute".

Edit: One version of that album seems to be "Cute - The Lionel Hampton Sessions" and the other "Essential Dexter Gordon (2011)"

Dexter plays soprano also on Blues For Gates.

Distinguished SOTW Member RandyJ's Avatar
    Belle Harbor-Greenwich, CT and Grindelwald Switzerland

If you are asking for other soprano players to listen to I second Sidney Bechet, plus you say you like Dexter's sound and he aspired to emulate Bechet.

If you are asking how to improve your sound, there is only one way, and every one knows that answer.

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giardullo View Post
    I'm listening to live recordings of Lucky Thompson now (LUCKY THOMPSON- NEW YORK CITY 1964-65) and his soprano is just beautiful in sound and conception. A side note: on drums is Steve Lacy's long-time drummer-to-be, the tragically late Oliver Johnson.

Find this music!
    Thank you for this Joe! I love Oliver Johnson's playing with the Lacy groups.
    Selmer MarkVI, Phil-tone Tribute, Selmer 404 lig / Sakshama Ring, Otto Link T lig, Rico Jazz Select
    Just Joe's strap (the best)

Bechet and Lacy should be the starting points. For me, Coltrane's soprano is really just an extension of his tenor; I don't think he really tapped the full potential of the horn. Players such as Lucky Thompson and Zoot Sims played wonderfully on soprano, but it took a back seat to their tenor playing. (There's a beautiful old Whitney Balliett story from the New Yorker in which he describes a jam session pitting Stan Getz on tenor against Sims on soprano--and Balliett says Sims came out on top). Never thought much of Liebman on soprano--his tone is grating to me--but of course Wayne is fantastic. Evan Parker is a genius on the horn and pushed it to new levels, and Lol Coxhill has done some very cool stuff too.

Sam Newsome is currently playing the hell out of the horn. He's taken a big cue from Lacy, but has mixed in a post-Coltrane approach. IMO he's just about the best player out there these days, because of the wide palette he brings to the table.

I don't buy the idea that a Mk. VI soprano has an inherently "snake-charmer" or oboe-like sound. Lacy played one for years and never had that kind of tone, and I play one now and certainly don't sound anything like an oboe.

Yeah, it might be possible to take that oboe-ish sound out of the Mark VI with setup and approach, but it's there if you want it (and I do--it's what I've always loved about the sop from the first time I heard Wayne on the Native Dancer LP years ago). Keilwerths and other larger bore sopranos like old Kings and Conns just don't have that kind of sound to begin with.

I could never get into Lacy and actually think his tone is not very recognizable or outstanding in the way that Trane's and Shorter's are on the small sax. But I mostly think it's Lacy's music that turned me off, whereas I really dig both Trane's and Wayne's.

Plus I was just listening to some early Lacy, and thought he actually had a little of that oboe-like quality to his tone...must be the Mark VI....

Forum Contributor 2014 skeller047's Avatar

No one said Oliver Nelson yet... Sound Pieces has some great soprano work.
    Steve Keller

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast