P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is "Smooth Jazz" dead and gone?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 jicaino's Avatar

Default Re: Is "Smooth Jazz" dead and gone?

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    I wish hak or someone would explain to me what they mean by 'bwoot bwoot.' For some reason I can't figure out what sax sound exactly is indicated by that phrase.
    you know, the typical high baffle huge tip opening wrong reed biting down "Smooth jazz" embochure and the sound, like a constipated goose trying to defecate thru the nose.
    Juan Ignacio Caino
    "The more you sweat during practice, the less you bleed during combat"
    I prefer e-mail messages to PM
    my email adress is jicaino@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/jicaino

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Every time I go to Atlanta I hear smooth jazz coming out of speakers in every hallway, sidewalk, elevator and restaurant. There's no escaping the sound of a nasal soprano sax coming out of 4" speakers. As far as SJ radio it's probably on its way out.
    yep, its been relegated to elevator music.

Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    you know, the typical high baffle huge tip opening wrong reed biting down "Smooth jazz" embochure and the sound, like a constipated goose trying to defecate thru the nose.
    never thought of it that way! but it is rather uninspiring

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

LOL, now there's a description I can understand.

Distinguished SOTW Member Woody Reed's Avatar

That's what guys sound like when they try it be funky on a low baffle piece. Honkin like a duck! Ya gotta have the right tools for the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Reed View Post
    That's what guys sound like when they try it be funky on a low baffle piece. Honkin like a duck! Ya gotta have the right tools for the gig.
    Never heard a single bwoot from you, man!

What I'm talking about is when every note has a crescendo.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Oh, I've bwooted. And squaked, squeeked, honked, chirped, thwacked, fluttered, growled, and passed out before. I was just referreing to how to emulate the "embochure and the sound, like a constipated goose trying to defecate thru the nose". I personnaly find that's easier with a lower baffled piece. But hey, that's just me. Now, with a dead reed, I can honk honk honk pretty convincingly on a high baffle piece too.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 jicaino's Avatar

you obviously took offense in my comment wich was a tongue in cheek thing. I wasn't referring to your tone in particular, although, I'm not into that vibe, I can tell you play seriously and are commited to that aesthetical approach (I think!)

Now seriously, I don't care for "needing equipment to the gig". I like my tone, even with my very limited skill level, I don't want to sound different. I'd like to have better sight reading, I'd like to have a lot of better technical skills, but I'm completely and honestly satisfied with the way I sound on record, and live miked or unmiked. Any genre of music requiring a saxophonist to use a high baffle piece puts things on a level I'm not interested in playing in that enviroment.
    Juan Ignacio Caino
    "The more you sweat during practice, the less you bleed during combat"
    I prefer e-mail messages to PM
    my email adress is jicaino@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/jicaino

you obviously took offense in my comment wich was a tongue in cheek thing. I wasn't referring to your tone in particular, although, I'm not into that vibe, I can tell you play seriously and are commited to that aesthetical approach (I think!)
    I knew you were tongue and cheek with it. But, it was an offensive comment. No one is more critical of my sound then myself. So I didn't take it like you were slamming me. More of slamming the brotherhood so to speak. I have tons of work to do and struggle daily with my own limitations. Much like everyone I'm sure. I just pray I don't end up like the "Winnebago Man". If you don't get that, then google it. Smooth no doubt has it's share of horrible tones. So does everyone genre of sax performance. There are songs that come on the radio that make want to change cars, not just the station. I just try to keep it all in perspective and not become cynical. And honestly, I am more cynical towards myself then others. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

As a side note, and more on this topic, I host a 2 hour radio show on sky.fm every thurs.(repeats 12 hours later for a noon play london time) It comes on in just 30 minutes from now at 4pm pacific. The direct link for a web browser is smoothjazz247.com. But it is available on any net radio player. As well as the sky.fm smart phone apps. The music is straight up smooth jazz (minus the Celine Dion). FWIW

Forum Contributor 2013

I knew you were tongue and cheek with it. But, it was an offensive comment. No one is more critical of my sound then myself. So I didn't take it like you were slamming me. More of slamming the brotherhood so to speak. I have tons of work to do and struggle daily with my own limitations. Much like everyone I'm sure. I just pray I don't end up like the "Winnebago Man". If you don't get that, then google it. Smooth no doubt has it's share of horrible tones. So does everyone genre of sax performance. There are songs that come on the radio that make want to change cars, not just the station. I just try to keep it all in perspective and not become cynical. And honestly, I am more cynical towards myself then others. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

As a side note, and more on this topic, I host a 2 hour radio show on sky.fm every thurs.(repeats 12 hours later for a noon play london time) It comes on in just 30 minutes from now at 4pm pacific. The direct link for a web browser is smoothjazz247.com. But it is available on any net radio player. As well as the sky.fm smart phone apps. The music is straight up smooth jazz (minus the Celine Dion). FWIW
    Nice way to spend a couple of hours on a Thursday afternoon. Makes me feel lucky to be retired so I can enjoy it without the commute, etc. The whole Jazz Radio app is really nice. Thanks Euge, er.. Woody.... Hmmmmm Euge Woody.. Now there's a pseudonym that might garner some new fans, eh?
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

Quote Originally Posted by jrvinson45 View Post
    Now there's a pseudonym that might garner some new fans, eh?
    Ya know, I'm out doing shows with guitarist Peter White this summer. The package is called White Hot Summer Groove. I voted for Euge Peter, but it got shot down pretty quick.

Forum Contributor 2011

I voted for Euge Peter, but it got shot down pretty quick.
    LOL :tsk:
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Forum Contributor 2013

Ya know, I'm out doing shows with guitarist Peter White this summer. The package is called White Hot Summer Groove. I voted for Euge Peter, but it got shot down pretty quick.
    I like the way you think. Are we related.

Forum Contributor 2011 clwomack's Avatar

Niiiiiccccceeeee!

Forum Contributor 2013

Great show, Woody hope to catch you again soon, meanwhile thanks for the link to the SJ 247 station. Next time shoot some Jessy J our way. Good mix on today's show... "I Wish" is my favorite effort by Najee.".... Whoa! Jessy just showed up on 247. I'll just hang here for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by jrvinson45 View Post
    Whoa! Jessy just showed up on 247.
    Did you catch her on american idol last night?

SOTW Columnist

Smooth no doubt has it's share of horrible tones. So does everyone genre of sax performance.
    I agree. And also, on a more positive note, great sax tones exist in all genres. And good tone is somewhat subjective. I like the flexibility of tone on a sax.

I have to say, although I'm not a big fan of smooth jazz, it's not the sax in that genre that bugs me. It's more the somewhat synthesized sound and 'light, easy listening pop' element that doesn't speak to me (but I realize that's exactly what so many people do like!). I actually see (hear) the sax as a positive element in smooth or pop music.

Regarding high baffle, low baffle, large or small tip, or other mpc parameters, it's all in how you play them. Personal preference and all that. I have played high baffle mpcs that no matter what I do, they sound shrill. But I've also played others that aren't that way. So some of it is a matter of what fits your playing style or embouchure or airstream, etc.

Forum Contributor 2013

Did you catch her on american idol last night?
    No. I didn't know she was going to be on. Every once in a while thy sneak the other "Jessie J" in and I wind up ticked off. Sorry Brit friends, the Latina Jessy is just saxier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123