P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Any information on this Transitional Tenor

Default Any information on this Transitional Tenor

I recently bought an amazing tenor sax and had it overhauled. It fits me perfectly, but I would love to know more about it. I know its a New Wonder Series II Transitional Horn and is tuned to A=440 due to the L, but i don't know the year and the engraving on the bell is different from any I've seen online. Its serial number is a M251xxx. On the bell in addition to the Conn Brand and engraving there is als on the name Alex Burns LTD London. Attached is a photo of the bell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Default Re: Any information on this Transitional Tenor

Your tenor dates to 1932. Conns for the British market were given a more traditional style of engraving for awhile after Elkhart modernized the designs.
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

Thanks very much. I never knew they had a different scroll work for the British models.

Does anyone know anything about the Alex Burton LTD?

Most I have seen are engraved to J.R. Lafleur & Co., who I think had the Conn dealership a little later in the decade.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

So no information on Alex Burton? I know its a distributor in London but i cant find any reference of it.

Try Burns in place of Burton

Ah... I feel kinda dumb now. Thanks for the help.

Ok, it appears that it was a distributor in London that was destroyed in the following World War and no longer exists. Which means that this horn has been across the Atlantic twice and escaped the destruction of the German bombers of WWII to end up back stateside where it was found last year in an attic at an estate sale. Wow this thing has some stories to tell. Oh and another cool bit of information, the over hauler found a piece of news paper leveling the low C pad that dated to 1945, but unfortunately it basically disintegrated when he handled it.

Also, does anyone know the approximate value of this horn?

Congrats on your purchase. Judging by the one picture a nice looking horn and a cool story.
    Is it the original lacquer? If it is it still looks great. I bet it plays accordingly.
    '24 Conn New Wonder tenor and '36 Conn 10M

Definitely the original lacquer and she plays like she was made just for me. It's the only thing I own that isn't for sale. I would love to just know an approximate monetary value for insurance purposes because I know its definitely worth more than the $500 I have in it (that's including the total overhaul). Plus it'd be nice to know just how lucky I got, ya know?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

I would guess in the $1,500 range. These are some of the finest Conn tenors.