Sax on the Web Forum banner

How do I attach the springs?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Gordon (NZ) 
#1 ·
Hi! I bathed my saxophone yesterday and a spring fell off. I guess it must have been loose before? Anyway, how do I attach it again? It is one of those blueneedle springs - from my Buescher TT.
Thanks

#2 ·
Did it come out of it's hole or did it break off.
Different 'fixes' for each.
Foolproof method is to take it to a professional and have it replaced. :)

#4 ·
Did it come out of it's hole or did it break off.
Different 'fixes' for each.
It came out of it's hole - it's not broken.

I hope you took the keys off.
I would just push it back in the hole where it came from.
Yes I removed all of the keys first of all. And I tried to push it back in the hole and it is attached now. But I am affraid that it will fall off again, it is not attached very hard. But it stays there if I don't touch it.

#5 ·
Believe or not, these are held in using a 200 year-old method. You flatten out the end of the spring. This makes it wider. Then you press it in using special pliers. Here's thorough explanation at this link:

http://www.musicmedic.com/info/articles/num_35.html

Of course, this does not apply to vintage Buescher saxes and similar with screw-in Norton springs.

#7 ·
If they fall out, they are most likely to have a triangular shaped end, likethe stainless steel ones sold by Ferrees.
To make them stay in they should ideally have that triangular shape leadingto a parallel sided portion inside the post. Improve the shape by hammering onan anvil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.