Antigua Winds

Default My daughter and I doing a little Riverdance!

Here you can see my daughter and I having a go at The Countess Cathleen and Women of Sidhe from Riverdance. Our sax teacher, Sarah Field, has already posted a lovely version of this recorded with her husband and that led us to want to learn it and play it at a charity concert a couple of weeks back. We're both doing it from memory and it was our first attempt - hence a few little rough edges :-) We enjoyed it a lot - it is in the music book from the show although the melody had to be transposed. The guitar is all set out in tab and music and isn't all that hard.

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Default Re: My daughter and I doing a little Riverdance!

I'm not a all familiar with the songs, hence completely at a loss as to the "rough" edges you mention - but that was really, really neat to be playing with your daughter!

1st try, from memory, in front of an audience - no apparent stage fright?! I thought it well done. Very nice performance and nice looking pair to boot! Don't hesitate to post more. I would have preferred a bit more guitar in the mix but given the Olympus video recorder, it is what it is!

Thanks! I think the sax was just a good deal louder than I had set the amp; as you say the recorder records what it hears but to us in the venue itself, it sounded balanced at the time.

Forum Contributor 2014 kwgrinnell's Avatar

Thank you, enjoyed that very much.

K
    45 yrs of happy sax

Quote Originally Posted by singlereed View Post
    Thanks! I think the sax was just a good deal louder than I had set the amp; as you say the recorder records what it hears but to us in the venue itself, it sounded balanced at the time.
    And that's what really counts!

Not knowing the capabilities of the built-in mike nor the properties of the room, from the recording angle, it looks like it may just be that the sax is a bit closer to the mike than your speaker.

Still doesn't significantly detract from the recording. Thanks for posting!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

A very lovely piece that's well played. Very fine tone on the sop.

I must admit, i never gave the soprano much thought before watching and hearing your Daughter just now, sounded great really fitting...

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

Very nice. Your daughter has a great sound!
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Gold Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1980-something Yamaha YBS-61 Baritone -- Strathon 8*

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsax View Post
    I must admit, i never gave the soprano much thought before watching and hearing your Daughter just now, sounded great really fitting...
    +1 - I already have three daughters - don't need another one of those! However, that soprano, now that is another matter!