Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Berg Larsen grained ebonite mpc.

Hi!

After mainly playing guitar for a while, I will take up my Selmer Mark6 tenor again!
    I would like to test a new mpc, instead of my Berg 110/2 stainless steel , and I'm
    interested of a Berg Larsen grained ebonite 105/2, because I have heard that they
    have a rounder sound, and have a better quality then the standard ebonite mpc!
    I dont have a music shop here where I live, to test them out, so I have to buy from
    Thoman in Germany and use their refund if I dont like it.
    I wonder if anyone have som info about these mpc's, and if someone know if there
    is a soundclip to listen to, or if anyone could tell me if there are another mpc(brand)
    that come close in sound to compare with!
    Thanx in advance!
    Regards
    Bo

Quote Originally Posted by Opus7
    I have heard that they
    have a better quality then the standard ebonite mpc!
    Bo
    I would be curious about the quality of finish on the grained Bergs too. Is the finishing of the facing better than the regular HR Bergs.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Berg Larsen grained ebonite mpc.

I have one of these, which I like a lot, but I think any superiority of finish as compared to the regular ebonite models is (unfortunately) coincidental.
    Yamaha TS62 - Warburton LA; P. Mauriat 66R - Sakshama FL; Legeres
    Vito (Beaugnier) Baritone/HR Berg 105/1/M
    Buffet Greenline Clarinet; Yamaha 221-II Bass Clarinet

Default Re : Berg Larsen grained ebonite mpc.

The one I try was not better. The quality of the Berg from the new batch (read made in Belgium) seem really better now. I dont have the chance to try it, but by sight, they look like with a better finish like thinner rail, etc...
    http://www.pbase.com/jeelee/galleries
    Conn curved 1915 lacquer/The martin RMC tenor 1961/ Buescher Big B silver tenor 1941/Keilwerth NK silver tenor 1958/keilwerth NK silver alto 1965/King Tempo Low A bari lacquer 1967

Default Re : Re: Berg Larsen grained ebonite mpc.

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    I have one of these, which I like a lot, but I think any superiority of finish as compared to the regular ebonite models is (unfortunately) coincidental.
    same here!
    http://www.pbase.com/jeelee/galleries
    Conn curved 1915 lacquer/The martin RMC tenor 1961/ Buescher Big B silver tenor 1941/Keilwerth NK silver tenor 1958/keilwerth NK silver alto 1965/King Tempo Low A bari lacquer 1967

Thanx for your replye's guy's!

Could you tell me how the sound is compared to a stainless steel Berg,
    and how good is the intonation!
    Bo

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Although I'm sure there will be comeback on this,but it's about the internal dimensions, not the material or finish. 2 mouthpieces with the exact same internal dimensions made of differing materials will sound the same. The roundness comes from the 2 chamber, not the grained ebonite.

http://hal9000.ps.uci.edu/Does%20Sax...Matter.doc.pdf

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Double post, deleted.

Forum Contributor 2013

Hard rubber...or other materials are not going to be what defines the sound. The structure of the piece will.

HR bergs and metal bergs are a little different in their interior geometry I believe. However, they still maintain that Berg sound. I would take a HR Berg over stainless any day. When (not if) you get one that is messed up it is easy to have it corrected. If you find anyone that will work on stainless prepare to pay top dollar for the work. If you have ever tried to sand stainless you will know why most of us choose not to be bothered with it. Honestly, I can reface 3 HR pieces in the time it takes to do a berg. Do you really want what to pay what I would charge to do three mouthpieces?

Get a good HR Berg and have it worked on if needed.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Member and Engraving Artist Extraordinare Jason DuMars's Avatar

I play grained ebonite on all of my horns -- S, A, T. They are absolutely fabulous pieces. In terms of comparing to the steel, it seems warmer to me and less shrill. I never liked Bergs much before I happened on the GE pieces. The only down side is they are quite expensive.

Thanx alot for your answers.

I will order one soon!
    I dont know if its true that it's easyer to get your lips to seal around a
    HR mpc, because it's generally a little broader than a metal one!
    On my alto I use a Meyer or a Rosseau HR mpc, and they seems to
    fit more naturally in my mouth!
    Bo

Quote Originally Posted by Jason DuMars
    I play grained ebonite on all of my horns -- S, A, T. They are absolutely fabulous pieces. In terms of comparing to the steel, it seems warmer to me and less shrill. I never liked Bergs much before I happened on the GE pieces. The only down side is they are quite expensive.
    Have you had any of your grained Bergs worked on?

Forum Contributor 2013

Expensive but pretty
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Member and Engraving Artist Extraordinare Jason DuMars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atonal View Post
    Have you had any of your grained Bergs worked on?
    I opened up one of my soprano pieces a shade myself. I had good results leveling the baffle on a tenor version some but, uhm, ruined it by not knowing when to stop. It was at the point that I realized mouthpiece refacing is something best left to pros like Phil.

Forum Contributor 2013

Jason, it may be able to be saved if you didnt totally wreck the baffle. a lot can be done to rescue a piece.

Dont feel too bad. My guess is your refacing is better than my engraving.
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

SOTW Columnist

As others have already pointed out, a change in material is not what will give you a different sound. I'm not sure moving to a smaller tip (given the same baffle size) will result in a 'rounder' sound. I would think you'd more likely move in that direction if you went to a larger tip, say 115 or 120, and sticking with the #2 baffle of course.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker mfry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atonal View Post
    I would be curious about the quality of finish on the grained Bergs too. Is the finishing of the facing better than the regular HR Bergs.
    They're the same as all Bergs. The grained ebonite seems a little bit softer than the black.

Distinguished SOTW Member nachoman's Avatar

I've found most grained play better than most black ebonite pieces. Never really assumed this was down to any acoustic properties of the materials- probably more that Berg spend more time finishing them as they're pricier.......... Love the grained, had a 110/2 as my main tenor piece for years.....
    Trevor James RAW Tenor, Theo Wanne Amma & Rico Plasticovers
    Bauhaus curved soprano, Theo Wanne Gaia & La Voz
    Charlie Blacklock Musical Saw

Forum Contributor 2013

Is there anywhere in the states that stocks the grained ebonite pieces?

Last year i checked out several HR Bergs for alto and tenor (the black and the grained ones) because i like the sound of them.
    The consistency was terrible. Many were playing really badly, some didn't play at all because of poorly finished facings. A good Berg is a great mpc but you will not find one if you order one, maybe try to order ten or twenty and with much luck one will be good. Ordering one is like trying to win in a lottery with one lot, you have to be really lucky (your chances to find a good one are as good). If you have the chance, test as many as you can in different shops because buying mpcs blindly rarely works. And i don't think that the nice people at Thomann are able to judge which one is having a better facing. Also often the tip openings were different than the number on the mpc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast