Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Pereodontal surgery: Sax withdraw

About three weeks ago I had extensive pereodontal surgery way back in the lower left molars: gum resection and a bone graft (using some drilled out extra bone from an outgrowth mixed with pig bone). My dentist said I would be able to keep playing, as my embouchure wouldn't impact the area, but I quickly found that the wide frequencies of the tenor caused impossibly severe pain where he drilled the bone out. But I was able to play a limited amount of time on soprano if I was careful to keep my left cheek tucked in, so I practiced a bit and then rehearsed a night each with my rock band and jazz trio. Nontheless, I blew out the rear gum and at my checkup a week later when he removed the stitches, my dentist said I couldn't touch any sax for at least two weeks.

So for about a week and a half I've been in total sax withdraw and it's driving me crazy. I've fooled around on the keyboard a little as a kind of sedative, but it hasn't helped--there's just no replacing the experience of breathing out notes and music. When I start practicing/playing again (end of this week) I'm going to be very, very appreciative of the priviledge. I guess the lesson is, take good care of your mouth, your hands, and everything else you need to play; and love and appreciate every note you blow through your horn, because each one is a gift.

Default Re: Pereodontal surgery: Sax withdraw

Wow I hope you heal real soon I feel for you glad you are getting through this cheers

Doug

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I know your pain. I was once in about the same shape you are now. You have to have faith that you will get better.

In the mean time, if the keyboard or computer cannot give you relief, you might consider the flute. I'd love to be able to play flute but I suspect I will never have time to learn. But I suspect the embouchure would be much easier on the teeth and gums. You might give that a try while you are in the healing process. That's likely what I would attempt to do.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

Forum Contributor 2014

Thanks Doug and Enviroguy. Hey, the flute is a great idea, and you're right, I don't think it would cause problems. If this thing has to last much longer I'll look for one. Meanwhile, I'm going to take in a couple of piano lessons.