P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Cheap sax

Default Cheap sax

Alright so I want to buy a mendini alto sax (Chinese sax) just to use for marching band. If anyone has one, how are they?

Forum Contributor 2014 Stuckond's Avatar
    The sunny shores of Southern Lake Superior: Marquette, Michigan USA

Default Re: Cheap sax

I don't have a mendini, but I have an Anaxa tenor. They are in the same cheap Chinese sax price range category. With a $50 or so set up and adjustment, you'll be happy with it for a couple years for marching. I use mine as a "rough setting" back-up. I like it enough to play it, and my tech had raised eyebrows as he told me how surprised he was that it didn't suck. Another safe bet for the price point may be an older horn like a Pan Am, or Indiana Band company. They get less interest because they're stencils, but they're solid horns you'll find are typically sturdier built, at least the quality, and defenately WILL have a better resale value. I used those 2 examples because those I own, play on AND like them for inexpensive (And good sounding) saxophones. Enjoy your marching season!

Okay thanks! I'm hoping I can get a really cheap one. Also a sax player in my band class owns a cheap sax made by hawk and it's actually really good

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Some cheap Chinese saxes are good, and some really suck. You just need to to try it out to find out which it is. Even two of the same "brand" could be chalk and cheese.

Forum Contributor 2012 swperry1's Avatar

How much is a "Mendini?"

Distinguished SOTW Technician. Oric Muso's Avatar

What Pete said! Don't just buy it because it is cheap. There are plenty of cheap saxophones out there. You can still pick up some great second hand instrument that will outperform most cheap Chinese instruments. The very cheapest Chinese instruments are probably not going to be great. I've never heard of Mendini. Some brands are becoming fairly established and they do try and keep a reaonable quality as well as a low price. Go for something like that which will save you money in the long run.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

That's true....not that I would ever say anything nice about a cheap chinese horn...but Stephen Howard did identify a few names which apparently don't suck eggs too badly.
    Do some quick internet research, and if they cost w/i $50-75 of your Mendini, I'd go for for one of those instead.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I think that, although lots of people (including me) have a positive experience with some Chinese made brand ( in my case a Chinese made Bauhaus Walstein curved soprano) you have to remember that most “ Brand Names” made in China are not belonging to the instrument maker so if someone has had a positive experience with buying X or Y that might not necessarily mean anything when it comes to buy a saxophone also branded X or Y because it might come from a completely different factory if the owner of the brand name has decided to change supplier for whatever reason.
    Looks, also, can be very deceiving because the same factory can easily make saxophones that are slightly different or two different factories might be making a saxophone that looks exactly the same.

This is the whole problem with buying a saxophone from a less than well established brand (and sometimes also from established brands selling Chinese made products).........you can never generalise.

So, you need to go out and play it. If you can’t take the risk and only if you are confident that you can easily dispatch of the horn if it is not to you liking.

this is, apparently, a Mendini, HE.........sounds good on it

Distinguished SOTW Technician. Oric Muso's Avatar

Sounds OK. Mendini seems to be from the Cecilio company which produced some dodgy cheap stuff. I thought Mendini was their better quailty range but found a website selling them cheaper than Cecilio branded stuff - so I'm a bit confused about them. At the prices they are going for I doubt they are well built.
    http://www.soaap.com/music/saxophones-c-1.html

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

those prices are about 300% what a horn like this costs in China.......but no one can say for sure that they are bad based on price