P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Making the best of a YAS-23

Default Making the best of a YAS-23

Though I mostly play soprano, I play alto in a concert band as well as other occasions here and there. My alto is a YAS-23, which is a decent horn, but not quite as solid or ergonomic as my Yanagisawa soprano, especially in the high register. (Yes, I understand we're talking apples/oranges here, but bear with.)

Looking for suggestions as to what could be done to make the best of YAS-23. First thoughts were palm key D extension, as well as slightly altering the shape of the low alt f# key to improve chromatic/F#/C# runs.

Setup is Selmer S80 D* + Gonzalez 3s. (Still need to get a decent lig.)

Cheers.

Default Re: Making the best of a YAS-23

That 23 is a good horn. Probably the best standard horn on the market. The mouthpiece/reed combo is much more important than the horn. Anything that is easy and free-blowing should do the trick. The key layout is pretty groovy on those 23s, I wouldn't screw with it at all. I wish I still had mine.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

I agree with that. If the action of this horn doesn't suit you, then it's an entirely personal opinion, so it's up to you to decide whether it's worth adapting it. Personally I woukdn't bother as to me the keyboard is great.

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allemande View Post
    Looking for suggestions as to what could be done to make the best of YAS-23. First thoughts were palm key D extension, as well as slightly altering the shape of the low alt f# key to improve chromatic/F#/C# runs.
    Welcome.

There are a few ways to go about modifying keys.

For palm keys, you could go with metal risers (oleg), rubber risers (runyon), or your own risers made from a number of materials (sugru (sp?), cork, and epoxy putty work). Oleg risers are expensive but are solid and work great. The rubber Runyon risers work fine but are a little spongy and some report they can easily move around depending on the sax they're used on. The home made variety are the most budget friendly, but you have to be willing to take a little time to make them yourself. My preference is epoxy putty (it's harder to work with, but feels the most solid out of the bunch IME).

For alt F#, the easiest way to modify it is to do it yourself with the home made key riser materials.

Cheers guys, I appreciate the input.

How does the 23 handle altissimo? I understand this is largely player-based, but I have trouble getting notes that seem to spring out of soppy without a problem.

Hi

Get a Vandoren V16 A6S. Try is first with a 2.5 reed...and see how it works out.
    We all need a bit of help of Alto ...she is a hard nut to crack.