P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Carbon fiberreeds

Default Carbon fiberreeds

So, i just bought a Harry Hartman carbon fiberreed, and it has a really buzzy tone. I play bari and use a Selmer C* hard rubber and an Otto Link tone master metal. Do these reeds just have a reputation of this or do I just need to work on it? Any tips?

Forum Contributor 2011 legitalto's Avatar

Default Re: Carbon fiberreeds

They are very bright, edgy, and tend to run on the soft side. Check out the web site. They can be worked on, clipped, sanded, etc.

Carbon Fiber Reeds? Where does one get info on these?

www.fiberreed.com.
    They tend to sound edgy and buzzy, and you need to adapt your embouchure to them. It isn't everyone's taste.
    I've been playing them on tenor and Bari for nearly 10 years, and wouldn't see any reason to change.
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

i bought one and didnt really like it. it was on the soft side. it did seem buzzy. that may have been a feel rather than sound though, im not sure.

Yes, they're buzzy at first and you might manage to adapt. I like them more on alto than on tenor.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Got one Hartmann for my tenor and while I like it on a HR mpc ( which I no longer use) I don’t like it on my Ponzol or my Brancher , so it is laying there with the other artificial reeds as a test reed and in case of emergency. Mine wasn’t too soft and its playing hardness is absolutely the same as cane BUT it has sharp and hard edges to be careful with. I also had a chip after few days of playing , sent it back to Mr.Hartmann (I purchased the reed on his site) who sent a new one to me. Great service.

Forum Contributor 2013

I use these carbons on alto and they are buzzy at first you just need to get used to them and they last a long time 8 months and still going strong,and you can work on them just like cane,purchased from his site great service.

Are these similar to the Fibracell reeds?...does anyone know if it is possible to clip / file Fibracell reeds without damaging them?

no they are very different in structure, you can apparently work on fibracell although not without any risks

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...a-reed-trimmer

Thanks for the link to the thread Milandro.

my pleasure!