Sax on the Web Forum banner

My Sax

5K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  soybean 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a silver B&S Sax-Tenor, series 1000,
I wonder if I have a good instrument, like to hear from someone skilled in the art.
Thanks

#3 ·
I am afraid that that is NOT a B&S 1000...but a B&S 2001 a different kettle of fish.

The B&S 1000 is one of the cheapest lines that they had (B&S doesn’t make saxophones anymore) directly derived from the Weltklang (a brand they used before changing their name , again, to the original name of the company).

They are unsophisticated but decent instruments ( nothing to do with the series 2000, Medusa, Codera) , robust and slightly old fashioned not worth much on the second hand market.

A good player nonetheless, so worth playing more than selling!

Oh! And welcome to SOTW! :bluewink:

#4 ·
Thanks for your reply.
At least I know I have a "cheap" Sax :)
I have no intention of selling, I studied saxophone when I was young and I was about 25 years standing, I bought this sax already a couple of years, but has been closed on the box, until now. I'm returning to active and am a little excited.

#5 ·
well, cheap is not necessarily bad! These are just not what the market likes and were meant as student models by B&S which had been producing these saxophones for a long time when the were still an East German company. After the German re-unification they upgraded their company and models so this became their one of the least expensive models (they had also a cheaper one the B&S 600). Unsophisticated though they were, they were perfectly playable and at par with many student horns of the time. Still very usable these days! I’ve played bot tenor and alto and liked them. They have a warm and deep sound.

#13 ·
According to Dave Kessler, "The 1000… definitely is a good solid horn… and compared to an student or intermediate Selmer or Yamaha, the 1000 is probably all around the better horn."

Francisco: Is there a Roman numeral III on your horn?

#15 ·
...but tonally, even a 1000 blows the lower-end Yamahas out the door....

I would concur with Milandro, Francisco...don't necessarily frown that you have a "cheap" sax.

They are good players and their sound is really quite ...#ss-kicking.

If set up nicely, they are very respectable saxophones. Enjoy it !

#20 ·
B&S are nice saxes. When I say "cheap" I mean a sax for less money. I've owned and played several B&S. With new and better pads, felts, corks and a good setup the saxes became even better. Most B&S were available with high f#. But I have never seen a Weltklang (GDR official export brand) with high F#.

I'm really temped to buy a "new" B&S stecil bari. Never played.

http://www.blocket.se/hassleholm/Ba..._GDR___oanvand_perf_39445183.htm?ca=23_15&w=3

Thomas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.