P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Tone

Default Tone

I just finished practicing and I feel my sound is not warm and round and dark enough for classical sax. Any tips on making it sound more dark and warm and round. I play on yamaha custom z alto, C* s80 vandoren 3 and 3.5 for classical. Is it my equipment, or is it technique. Are there any good skill books for a more advanced sax player. Please Help

Thanks

Default Re: Tone

Quote Originally Posted by classicalsaxman View Post
    I just finished practicing and I feel my sound is not warm and round and dark enough for classical sax. Any tips on making it sound more dark and warm and round. I play on yamaha custom z alto, C* s80 vandoren 3 and 3.5 for classical. Is it my equipment, or is it technique. Are there any good skill books for a more advanced sax player. Please Help

Thanks
    Welcome to SOTW! Anyways, I know for a fact that the Custom Z can be used for classical. An S80 C* is a good choice, but they tend to be inconsistent. There's a good chance your facing isn't great, which would badly impact tone and response. I'd give an AL3 a try, since you are coming from a C*.

What ligature do you use? Sometimes S80 C*s are ligature picky because of facing issues.

What etude / technique books do you currently use? Solos?

How long have you been playing? Current level of playing?
    Soprano: Selmer Series II • Vandoren S27 + V12 3.5
    Alto: Selmer Series II • Vandoren AL3 + Traditional 3.0
    • Jody Jazz HR* 6M + JAVA Red 3.0
    Tenor: Barone Vintage • Selmer S90 170 + V12 3.0
    • Otto Link NY 7 + JAVA Red 2.5
    Baritone: Selmer Series II • Selmer S80 C** + Traditional 3.5 • Otto Link HR 5* + Traditional 2.5
    "Respect the air."

Just as a thought, since the mouthpiece was brought up. Another alternative, instead of purchasing a new mouthpiece, is to have to the mouthpiece sent in to be refaced, if it is in fact inconsistent.

FWIW, We're in the same boat. I'm trying to get my classical sound more appropriate.

-Bubba-

Or... Based on your other post about having an airy D on your horn, maybe you should consider having your horn taken in for a check up.
    There could be problems you are overcompensating for beyond the "Airy notes."

-Bubba-

Some players have tendencies to sound more dark or bright. On alto for example i have the tendency to sound very bright, that's why i really have to be careful with the mpc of my choice. Try different mpcs that some describe here as typical mpcs for "classical" sound and see whether anything changes. And let someone check your horn.

I think the Vandoren classical pieces are a good choice.
    In fact most of their pieces are very good classical and jazz alike.
    Consistency is said to be very good amongst Vandoren pieces.